Out after fallow with Sikamalcafter

Myself and my dad had an outing booked after a fallow or two with Malcolm (Sikamalc) yesterday afternoon.
We arrived at the estate just before 2pm, where we met Malcolm, Sandra and Reece along with a couple of other guys. (sorry can't remember there names)
The other two lads had came down from Lincolnshire I think, they had already had an AM stalk and both told myself and my dad that they had seen a lot of deer on the morning stalk.

After a nice cuppa (thanks Sandra) Malcolm made a plan that my dad would go and get dropped off by Reece and sit up in a seat next to a block of wood, Reece was also going to get in a double seat with one of the other lads, the 2nd guy was sitting at the bottom of a big block of wood and I was going to get dropped off in the same big block of wood in a seat up the top end.

So after Malcolm showing me to my seat and seeing a lot of deer activity I was set. We were out and in the seats by 3.15. After about 5mins of being in the seat I heard a shot, so I decided to give my dad a quick bell to see if he as seen anything.
My dad had seen 6-7 while stalking into his seat but they were back up in the wood he only managed to pick them up due to having his thermal.

After an hour or so I heard another shot but as much as I wanted to call my dad to see if it was him I decided against it, and just kept a sharp eye out on my own area and lucky I did because off to my left I saw a bit of movement it was fairly thick cover that side of the seat with trees and rhododendrons.
I put the bins up to see a young fallow doe feeding making her way from left to right she didn't have a clue I was there so I just sat there watching her, it seemed like I had been watching her for hours but must have only been about 20mins lol.
Anyway I put the rife in a position where it was going to give me the clearest shot and waited for her to come into view while waiting I was still looking around to see if there were any others but couldn't see any.
She eventually came into view I was quickly onto her and sent the .270 130gr her way I heard a good strike I reloaded and covered her but couldn't see her due to the foliage on the forest floor, out of the corner of my eye I saw movement to my left I quickly put the bins up to see a fallow just stopping and looking around it was a youngster!!!! I'm now thinking f##k have I not hit it right I got onto her and took a head shot she fell to the shot I reloaded and waited 10mins before the curiosity got the better of me in the end regarding the good strike on the first shot.
So I unloaded my rifle and got down from the seat and made my way over to the animal I could see on the floor.
I got to the animal and could see a head shot but no other exit wound, I stood there for a minute scratching my head then thought ill just walk alone to where the animal was on the first shot to see if I could see any blood.....
I walked only about 50yards and there it was lying there stone dead the first animal it had dropped to the shot HAPPY DAYS.

I dragged both the animals back to the seat and gave Malcolm a bell to come and pick me up he was already on his way.
We loaded the two animals into his truck and went back to the larder.
Back at the larder my dad had shot one fallow and one or the other two lads had shot three.

So a great result with six fallow in the larder.

A big thank you to Malcolm and his team.

Last edited:
Good to meet you both. The following day was also very successful with 2 clients, one for just the morning, who I guided. We took a big Fallow doe out of a large herd of about 30 animals, followed by a Roe doe about 40 minutes later on the other side of the estate.
Rhys carried on in the afternoon and also took another Fallow Pricket with his client. All in over the past 48 hours 8 Fallow and a Roe, so not too bad at all.

Look forward to seeing you both on the Level 1 course at the end of March.

ATB
Malc

It was a very good day, it was my first ever stalk with 3 to show for it, I second that a big thank you to Malc and Rhys for the day and good luck with your DSC

Good to meet you both. The following day was also very successful with 2 clients, one for just the morning, who I guided. We took a big Fallow doe out of a large herd of about 30 animals, followed by a Roe doe about 40 minutes later on the other side of the estate.
Rhys carried on in the afternoon and also took another Fallow Pricket with his client. All in over the past 48 hours 8 Fallow and a Roe, so not too bad at all.

ATB
Malc

Ha ha beat me to my write up. Taken me all morning....

ATB
Malc

Ha ha beat me to my write up. Taken me all morning....

Well done, Malcolm told me all about this morning, lots of deer on the move down there.

John

Back