handling large fallow

mickjgardner

shot a very large fallow buck tonight.Managed to suspend it with the small 4 pulley hoist i carry,then had to lower it into carcass tray.Lifted one ond of the carcass tray into the disco and juast managed to lift it in
Trouble was when i got home.Just managed to drag the tray up the path with a couple of breathers in between,Then it must of taken half an hour to lift it into the drinks chiller and its neck is touching bottom of chiller.Should not complain as was a lovely buck to shoot but just wondered how some of you guys manage,maybe you have some ideas to make life easier on the big ones.I am by no means a small guy i am 17st and used to weight train a lot so pretty strong but boy did i struggle

If I had an real ideas of suggestions I would post. However I have little experience with handling larger beasts alone so cannot offer any more than you already know.

Much the same as you, the large bucks on my area can get up to 150lbs dressed out. They are a struggle; I have a plank of wood in the back of my truck and use a hand winch to get them on board. Ever tried a wheel barrow to get it down your drive or out of a wood, trust me it works.

Count down to rib number 7 then cut the bugger in two! easy to carry and hang in the chiller. No rules as far as I know about the carcase having to hang in one piece :)

I now await incoming

John

I'll second the wheelbarrow idea - we use one to transport from gralloching area to chiller as they are about 100 yards apart. Get some funny looks from passers-by when wheeling it down the road though! Thankfully it's a quiet lane so there aren't that many!
It's a nice orange plastic one from B&Q, hose it out when finished.

If it was for your own consumption, I would do as JB suggested and leave something for the foxes. It is not uncommon for big reds to be cut to extract.
We are very lucky when it comes to fallow, we shoot large numbers but not large weights,very rarely do we get them over 40kg,we have only ever shot two big bucks in the several years we have had the place.
The big bucks just don't exist,quite fortunate really as something that is difficult to deal with is a pain and slows down the whole operation.

regards
griff

i have (1) for any i cannot drive to a Quad with rear winch an surspened grollach system i made
(2) front lifting system i made can lift on to my quad alone large fallow of Red spiker's. At this time of the year and place's i can drive my truck to, i made carrrier and surspended grollach system to fit my truck tow bar.
I regarly shoot 4-5 Fallow or 1-2 Reds from field to larder on my own (all wild Large English Deer) any one interested i could post up some pics of my system

did wonder about some sort of barrow like a wheel barrow with a bis inflatable tyre or perhaps one of those fishing barrows.Unfortunately my freezer is full of summer munties so most of my fallow go directly to game dealer so the cutting idea wont work.Just unfortunate i shot it on a saturday night,Saw it saturday morning but could not get a safe shot.Had i shot it in the morning it could have gone straight to game dealer so would have only struggled one end,Now got to lug it back into landy early tommorrow morning to get it to game dealer

When i lived in England i had a bit of ground that was a long way from where i parked my Van. I used a wheel barrow on many occasions to get fallow back. Still not easy with a big buck but much easier than dragging them.

i have (1) for any i cannot drive to a Quad with rear winch an surspened grollach system i made
(2) front lifting system i made can lift on to my quad alone large fallow of Red spiker's. At this time of the year and place's i can drive my truck to, i made carrrier and surspended grollach system to fit my truck tow bar.
I regarly shoot 4-5 Fallow or 1-2 Reds from field to larder on my own (all wild Large English Deer) any one interested i could post up some pics of my system
Bloody hell Boydy. Either take more water with it, or cover one eye when you type:D:p

But **** taking aside, I wouldn't mind having a peek at your lifting jig.

Bloody hell Boydy. Either take more water with it, or cover one eye when you type:D:p

But **** taking aside, I wouldn't mind having a peek at your lifting jig.

Sorry mate. Where about's you in Norfolk??? PM me if you want. Im sure there is a pic of my truck system In first of the season thread????? I get some pic's of both quad an truck an post up this week :thumb:

Back