The cherry popper!

DJB266

So yesterday morning I finally got my first!

After 3 stake outs in the high seat covering the field the farmer told me he regularly sees 9 roe in produced nothing both myself and my mate thought it was a lie! I had no deer! A glimpse sighting of some through a hedge on land I couldn’t shoot and that was our lot! Suffice to say a highseat only works if you put it on the right place!

A nights lamping over a rape field the other side of the farm was to give us our first sighting of my illusive roe as no more than 60yds ahead of us on the edge of the field were 4 of my deer! With this new knowledge in hand we put a plan together and a sunny 06:45am start was on for yesterday morning! We arrived at my ground for 07:00 and as we drove up the track to the gateway we could already see 5 feeding in the field. They didn’t seem too bothered by us and after stopping the truck in the gateway for a couple of mins they soon continued feeding! As we kitted up they slowly made their way around the corner of the field out a view which worked perfectly for us as it meant we could move into position without disturbing them too much. A steady stalk around the dung pile in the adjacent field gave us the cover we needed until a doe who had gone unseen on top of the pile spotted us and made a run for it! Bugger!

Despite the slight bumping the herd still seemed reasobably settled although now aware that we were following them! The hedge separation between the two fields gave us just enough cover to make our way in on them and at a suitable gap in the hedge we set our sticks! Having been spooked, one doe was stood approx 150yds from us perfect broadside with a good backstop, the shot was on! Forcing my heart back down my throat and settling my breathing I set the cross hairs on the chest, steadied and squeezed.....

The 129Gr SST left my 6.5 Grendel and found it’s mark with a good hard thwack! She dropped on the spot, gave a little twitch and it was done! My first deer was down! A high 5 from my stalking buddy and his confirmation that the shot was good and well placed and a smile was pinned to my face for the rest of the morning! Within 20mins of arriving I had stalked in and dropped my first deer! Clearly all first times are over rather quick....

We managed to take 2 that morning, one for myself and one for my shooting buddy as a thank you for his time and guidance and helping me get my first! Both were down, gralloched and in the back of the truck by 08:30! Both were in great condition, clean coats, good fat supplies and barely a tick between them. The entire heard seemed good and healthy including a lovely looking buck who I will be keeping around for another year or more before it’s time to replace him!

Massive thanks to my shooting buddy JLGrendel for helping me get my first and taking me through the whole process from shot to larder!
0CA969A3-483D-4C74-801D-2C3E09D46481.jpeg

Nice summary and well done. Much prefer winter stalking than being eaten alive and messing around with clothing and kit.

Back