Thread: Boar restricted on an open ticket

Boar restricted on an open ticket

I recently asked Surrey to apply 'any other lawful quarry' as I'm going to have a go at a piggy with forum member Westcountry Game Services later this month.

It came as no surprise that they didn't go for this but specified Wild Boar instead.

What did surprise me is that they restricted me to a specific estate and 'other land deemed suitable by the Chief Officer....' on an otherwise open ticket. Was this a mistake? Why should I have an open ticket for vermin, fox and deer but not boar?

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Bestman View Post
    I recently asked Surrey to apply 'any other lawful quarry' as I'm going to have a go at a piggy with forum member Westcountry Game Services later this month.

It came as no surprise that they didn't go for this but specified Wild Boar instead.

What did surprise me is that they restricted me to a specific estate and 'other land deemed suitable by the Chief Officer....' on an otherwise open ticket. Was this a mistake? Why should I have an open ticket for vermin, fox and deer but not boar?
    Does this amount to a "constructive" refusal? If it does I feel you could possibly appeal it. What did you say on your application for variation?

I'd get back to them straight away telling them they've mistakenly added the wrong wording to your conditions. Talk to the manager too, not one of his monkeys.

This is a common occurrence on return of F.A.C.'s, mine has just gone back for the N'TH time, this time to have a contradictory "closed" wording removed that mysteriously appeared lower down the ticket on a completely open one. Also with regard to the above reply, your manager could be a Female.............
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Bestman
    I think what they hav done is quite correct, but can easily be rectified

You asked for a condition to be added to your ticket
    which was for shooting boar . For this I presume you had a letter off Paul to confirm your booking to give to your FEO,
    of which Paul will needed to state where this was to take place
    ie Specified Farm/land/Estate..etc
    They hav done this and also added any other ground "deemed suitable "
    To me it reads you hav been given more than you asked for
    What you may find as Boar are an unknown quantity in the UK and your force like many others don't really know how to deal with this factor,
    Aswell as the fact each condition added to your FAC has to be looked at on an individual basis going on the info given and what the guidelines recommend..

Most land with Boar on I should now think has been made deemed suitable by the local force, except in a couple of grey area's,
    so in theory all land where you are able to shoot boar is still open to you in accordance to your conditions anyway..
    So in fairness as you don't shoot boar regulary and hav no other ground with boar on, they hav kept that condition as a " closed condition" untill you can proove more evidence that you need it opened up or hav held that condition for a length of time that your FEO feels is suitable to open it up for you anyway,
    normally by or on your next renewal

One grey area you need to be carefull of,
    Is if Paul takes you to a farm or piece of ground he has permission on for shooting the boar which is not part of the Estate you hav designated on your ticket
    As Paul's own FAC may well be open for boar and the piece of ground has not been passed or "deemed suitable" as it would not need to be for Paul's own FAC conditions
    Hope this makes sense
    ATB
    Ps good luck on the pigs
    Last edited by stone; 05-09-2010 at 19:23.

Thanks for all your replies, especially Stone for his considered response. Maybe I was unreasonably irritated?

Quote Originally Posted by Bestman View Post
    Maybe I was unreasonably irritated?
    I don't think you were.

You have an open FAC so presumably you have been shooting for a while and the neccessary experience to enjoy an unrestricted FAC?

Territorial conditions should not be species related - they are there to limit new FAC holders until they gain said experience and are then removed, have a look at the Home Office Guidance for details on that.

Unfortunately, as Stone has said, when wild boar are mentioned what little logic exists in the adminstration of the Firearms act goes out of the window simply because the majority of licensing departments are struggling to get their head around dealing with them.

I can see no reason why you shouldn't have an additional species on your FAC under the same 'open' condition you already enjoy - if your not to be trusted to be safe with shooting boar why are they trusting you to be safe with deer, fox, etc. etc.? Why not ask them what additional safety considerations they can possibly think you might not be considering? It might make them see sense. IMHO accepting these type of 'closed' conditions on an otherwise open FAC can only create problems not solve them.

Why not just return it to them with a letter saying that they have made a mistake by putting a territorial condition on your open FAC and ask for it to be rectified?
    Last edited by Orion; 06-09-2010 at 07:29.