Thread: Doe/Hind cull

Doe/Hind cull

Hello all

After last years bad winter (for the UK that is) and how it seems to have affected the Roe fawns, or the lack of them from what I am seeing on my ground, will any of you be holding back/culling less on your Doe's this coming season

I would also like to know out of interest what you folks north of the border will do regarding Hinds as I know you were hit a lot harder than us down south.

ATB

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Hello all

After last years bad winter (for the UK that is) and how it seems to have affected the Roe fawns, or the lack of them from what I am seeing on my ground, will any of you be holding back/culling less on your Doe's this coming season

I would also like to know out of interest what you folks north of the border will do regarding Hinds as I know you were hit a lot harder than us down south.

ATB

Max
    Different from area to area here the hinds did not suffer to much, so cull much as normal, as for the Roe they have done well good proportion of twins this year,we did have severe frost for a prolonged period last winter, but not as much snow as a lot of places, deer can cope well with the cold if its dry,while there were places where the deer were badly affected by the weather it was not country wide.

+1 On that we have had a good year with the roe we had good falls of snow but in the central belt we did ok and the roe had a lot of twins.

Alot of singles here compared to normal.
    Cull will still take place where numbers are to be maintained, only groups of 2 will go rather than 3.

ive seen a good number of twins this year and on saterday i saw triplets for the first time this year. so they seem to have had a good year even after the winter we had. i'll be keeping a close eye on the cull still.

As the guys have mentioned last winter's mortality in Scotland seemed to vary hugely; probably dependant on local conditions, access to woodland, stocking levels etc. There were, literally reports of over 100 animals found dead on one estate (NNE) and less than a dozen on an estate it marches with. There was a very interesting article in the BDS Deer magazine on the subject recently.
    Most estates I know have combined mortality head counts with an ongoing 'on the hoof census' through the buck/stag seasons. The highest reduction in cull I have heard of on the hill is 60%.
    Personally speaking where I stalk in Dumfriesshire and Kirkudbrighshire we lost very few beasts but we do have little open hill and no deer fencing. On the same in Inverness-shire and Argyll then it was less than 5% of the population I gather.

Thanks for your input folks.

ATB

Max

Max out of interest did the cold spell have any noticeable effect on your c w d
    Cheers
    RICK O SHEA