It's all about class with the LACS.

Joshua

In a recent thread, discussion has centered around on how to come to terms with the likes of the LACS, with education and cooperation being purported as the main arguement. However with most groups like this, it is class warfare which drives them. They see their movement as an attempt to remove the sport of the 'bourgeois', and no amount of reason or logic will deter them. That's the problem we face.

In all honesty, I am fully set agaisnt any sport which involves cruelty towards animals, dog fighting and badger baiting springing to mind, and I wholly support any movement that intends to bring an end to such vile spectacles. However, LACS are more intrested in class warfare than anything. They seem to devout very little time in stopping what I would consider a bloodsport, and tend to focus all their energy on the shooting and hunting community. Why? Because it's class they care about! You'll find most of the their top brass have strong left wing and marxist leanings, and no amount of arguement or logic will change their opinion on shooting. The hunting act was about class, not animal welfare, and now gun ownership and stalking is about class.

So do you think pointing out that the majority of gun owners are common folk would cause them to slow their step?
I don't, I think their agenda is one born of ignorance and fear - much like racism, which we've yet to come up with a 'fix' for.

Last edited:
I'm with you Milligan.
I think Joshua is referring to my post, when he talks about education and cooperation. My approach is different to his, feeling that it is worth time spent talking to the LACS members.

Obviously there will be a hard core of members there who are just "anti anything" for something to do with their lives, regardless of whether the crusade has a valid point or not. I think however there must also be a large number of the ranks who are simply ignorant of the facts, and who simply blindly accept what the LACS tells them to be true. Just ask yourselves how much do your friends actually know about deer numbers, habitat, breeding success rates etc. My guess is most will reply very little. Now mix in a bit of bambi mentality and a bit of LACS propaganda and bingo, you have another anti.

Theses are the people who I think it is worth targeting for a few home truths. You never know, one or two might just be turned. At least you will feel you gave it your best shot, and should (God forbid) our shooting come under attack and we should lose, you can say I did my best.

In much the same way that some feel the LACS are driven by class hatred, we have to accept that people who live in our own streets are members of that organisation, and as such don't know we are that "upper class" that they profess to hate.

Unless we speak to them how will these misconceptions ever be brought to light?

I took a good look at the LACS website, and I wish it was possible to support just the causes which I feel are cruel and needless, e.g. bullfighting and dog fighting. However it seems you are either with them all the way or not at all.

You might be right Joshua, but I sincerely hope not. The reason being, that you can educate people out of ignorance, but race, religion, and class hate are tougher tides to turn.

My best wishes to you none the less, I'm glad we can have this discussion in such a civil manner.

Mark.

I'm with you Milligan.

I took a good look at the LACS website, and I wish it was possible to support just the causes which I feel are cruel and needless, e.g. bullfighting and dog fighting. However it seems you are either with them all the way or not at all.

You might be right Joshua, but I sincerely hope not. The reason being, that you can educate people out of ignorance, but race, religion, and class hate are tougher tides to turn.

My best wishes to you none the less, I'm glad we can have this discussion in such a civil manner.

Mark.

mark,

oh i wish we could do as you state, but your last point is so true which over rides everything else.

atb f.

having been in hunting, I have to agree that with some of lacs supporters its about class ( I remember the class war warriors of the 90s) but most are ignorant of the facts and do change, I had a guy come in for a job interview who I recognised from a hunt meet (he ran into a terrier mans hand), he had the qualifications for the job so got it, to cut a long story short he now shots deer, pheasant and vermin and travels to the USA every year to hunt squirrel. all this due to having the truth pointed out to him.
Mind you if you donate £1,000,000 you can have any law you like.

Re LACS

What is LACS
Is it the League Against Cruel Sports?
If so please say the full name in brackets, as acronyms do drive me crazy, 3-4 letters together can mean so many different things in different parts of a society or industry and it seems to me just a way of appearing to look smarter than other folk.
Just a critique.
I bet Muir would not know the meaning either.
Martin

What is LACS
Is it the League Against Cruel Sports?
If so please say the full name in brackets, as acronyms do drive me crazy, 3-4 letters together can mean so many different things in different parts of a society or industry and it seems to me just a way of appearing to look smarter than other folk.
Just a critique.
I bet Muir would not know the meaning either.
Martin
Does brit stand for British?:D

Yeah,
login would be too long otherwise.
I was not being smart just been away from UK 8 years and acronyms dont help my little brain.
Martin

.................but most are ignorant of the facts and do change

And the best example of this would be the former LACS Director James Barrington who has now gone over to the dark side and acts as a consultant for the CA, (Countryside Alliance, Martin ;)) - might even be an employee of them by now, but I'm not sure. Although I don't think his defection had much to do with suddenly recognising that there might be a place for managing wildlife.

Anyhows, having had Mr Barrington with me in the back of the Shogun driving around Exmoor darting deer - he wanted to 'monitor' the process on behalf of the organisation to ensure it wasn't an inhumane practice - I think I got something of the measure of the man that caused such a dramatic switch of ideology. With vicious infighting going on in the LACS at the time I suspect he saw an opportunity to jump ship and capitalise on the notoriety of LACS by aligning himself with the opposition - he was obviously also highly valueable to the CA by handing them a propoganda coup on a plate.

As he has already come out with a heavy bias against shooting to further cement his position with the hunting fraternity he is IMO just an opportunist.

Have to agree on Barrington, his bias against shooting is a ploy to get in with the RSPB I should think, most folks who hunt are pro shooting as they generally do both sports, I don,t think the CA will sell shooting down the river like BASC tried to do with pistols and hunting ( wait for the sxxt to hit the fan).

Back