Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Firearms in vehicles.

Firearms in vehicles.

Can anybody tell me if a firearm must be slipped when on public highway,driving between fields and permissions.Thanks.

I don't believe there's any specific reason in firearms law to put a rifle in a sleeve under such circumstances; although it might, of course, on occasion be prudent to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    on occasion be prudent to do so.
    100% prudent mate, think outside the box.
    what if a townie passed a car/jeep with a rifle sitting anywhere in the vehicle in full view, the world of pooh you could be in... even for 100yards no way.

to many what ifs and maybes, not in today's climate, sleeved and bolt removed.

not debatable

f.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDREW243 View Post
    Can anybody tell me if a firearm must be slipped when on public highway,driving between fields and permissions.Thanks.
    Slipped, unloaded and bolt out. One sighting of that gun by joe public could cause a major incident. The best of it is, you wont know about it until a force helicopter is swooping on your position and armed police are pointing mp5s at you urging you to go prone with your lips kissing the mud. It does happen, i have personal experience. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Slipped, unloaded and bolt out. One sighting of that gun by joe public could cause a major incident. The best of it is, you wont know about it until a force helicopter is swooping on your position and armed police are pointing mp5s at you urging you to go prone with your lips kissing the mud. It does happen, i have personal experience. Not good.
    as above, but slips can cause a problem too, dropped a rifle at my local gunshop for some work, and took the slip home with me, I put it in the back of my commercial jeep (only window in the back door not in sides) and stopped at the supermarket on the way home, returni ng to the van with my trolley of shopping I am greated by 2 PCSOs on there bikes with the words do you have a weapon in the back of your vehicle, answer no, can we have a look ? o.k, show empty slip, asked them how they thought I had a weapon in there, member of the public had informed them he had seen the slip, so I asked did they have his name, NO, had they considered he thought there might be tools in the back worth nicking and thats why he was looking in there, red faces all aound, I now always fold my slips when left in the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    100% prudent mate, think outside the box.
    what if a townie passed a car/jeep with a rifle sitting anywhere in the vehicle in full view, the world of pooh you could be in... even for 100yards no way.

to many what ifs and maybes, not in today's climate, sleeved and bolt removed.

not debatable

f.
    Well, it clearly is debatable.

My practice when driving from one bit of foxing beat to another is to pop the rounds 'below', remove the mag, close the bolt, apply the safety and shove the rifle on the back seat. I suppose if it were daylight and I was in a particularly sensitive area, I could chuck a rug over it: no naughty rifle-case to frighten the passers-by!

if i am out anywhere or stalking and leave a slip in the vehicle i always unzip it and leave it wide open so as anybody can see it is empty for above reasons and because i dont want some little oik breaking my window because he thinks there is a gun in the car

I'm persuming ur in the car actually driving between fields permissions, if that is the case in scotland u don't have to have rifle slipped.
    I phoned basc scotland about lamping from a quad bike (quad road legal and insured) and driving on public roads between fields the advice they gave was rifle could be slung on back(underloaded for safety) and no slip was needed. i think u have to have good reason thou ie between farms/fields and not miles away on route to ur permission. i would phone basc/sga etc or whoever ur a member off, thats wot u pay ur money for and atleast u get the rite advice.

Never thought about folding slips before but will in future althou i generally put a jacket/rug over my slips anyway

My CHOICE is not to show anything. Don't get out of the wagon in Cammo to fill up etc. Blood isn't good as well....

Stan

An Angus gamekeeper was 12 miles from any public road and was on a private hill road... a "bobbly hat" townie was walking past his unoccupied land rover and seen a slipped gun and several shotgun cartridges on the dash... the police attended and the 'keeper lost his FAC/SGC, his job, his house the lot.