Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post Harvest & Educating of Fox Cubs

Post Harvest & Educating of Fox Cubs

Post Harvest & Educating of Fox Cubs

Im sure every one on the website knows that every time you light up a cub and donít manage to kill it, that cub is educated to some degree.
    If you squeak him in and donít get a shot, he will be more cautious when the guy next door lamps him. (may still be killable ?)
    On the other extreme if you do get a shot off and miss, as soon as the guy next door puts a lamp on him he will be gone. (will not be killable by lamping for the rest of his days)
    I have to say Im not a fan of electronic callers for year round use, What do you guy find.
    Regards
    Ian
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

there all stupid until called in for the first time but what drives them nuts is the squeekers out of pet toys once they're in close. Most bladed calls work just fine at getting their attention but if they've been shot out the best you can hope for is one turning round to have a look before it's off.

The other trick is leaving out some chow in the same open spot regularly like shot vermin. They soon come looking for it and if you have something with a snare round the middle of it staked down it can't carry it away it works well with a heavily filtered lamp or if you get in position on darkening once you know there's one nibbling.

All of them eventually succumb to the rifle.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

i dont entirly agree with what you have said, if you lamp up any fox and dont manage to kill it it's not always a bad thing. sure if you take a shoot and miss it it's buggered and a long time till it sit's again but if you just leave it even if you have been sqweaking it and it wont come right in all is not lost. the fox has seen the light and nothing has happened to it so you are teaching it that the light is fine. i wouldnt be to worried about not killing every fox you shine the lamp on

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    i dont entirly agree with what you have said, if you lamp up any fox and dont manage to kill it it's not always a bad thing. sure if you take a shoot and miss it it's buggered and a long time till it sit's again but if you just leave it even if you have been sqweaking it and it wont come right in all is not lost. the fox has seen the light and nothing has happened to it so you are teaching it that the light is fine. i wouldnt be to worried about not killing every fox you shine the lamp on
    Agree with this, its taking the shot and missing that does the damage. Lamp only is not a bad thing IMO. I use a Foxpro digital caller, mixed with some baiting even the most lamp shy foxes get it in the end.

The main foxing area that I shoot house's 6000 free range chickens. We dont tend to call as there are a number of other shooters in the area lamping rabbits and foxes. In the past foxes run on the sight of a lamp or when we've given a squeek they've taken off like scolded cats.
    As for lamp shy foxes, if your out often enough you can learn that particular foxes habits and where he likes to bolt too when seeing the lamp. Sometimes we can catch them off guard and intercept him and that's his mistake.
    They have to be lucky every time, we need to be lucky just once.

Agree entirely. Foxes dont mind being lamped, but if you shoot and miss then it is v difficult. Saying that with cubs you may get a second chance, with adults highly unlikely. Same is true if there are several in a field and you shoot one but dont get a shot at the second.

With v wary ones we either do NV or bait them. Occassionally it is an early am stake out.

We shoot around free range chickens and callers are U/S: except not as yet tried a chicken squark!!!!

Must say we try to get as close as possible so all end up dead, but last week major balls up when me and a mate missed the same fox twice (.17 and .223) so it is a little educated.

If in doubt dont shot there will always be another chance.

Of out again tonight having replaced Lightforce connector again!!!

D

if your having problems truffle try ringing the changes, if you drive round try walking, change your fillter colour or even just try driving round your ground a differnt way. these are all things which i have done in the past to catch out a well educated fox and they really do work as it completely throws the fox off guard

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    if your having problems truffle try ringing the changes, if you drive round try walking, change your fillter colour or even just try driving round your ground a differnt way. these are all things which i have done in the past to catch out a well educated fox and they really do work as it completely throws the fox off guard
    I agree 100% change your tactics.
    I do a considerable ammount of fox control, and come across a good few lamp shy one's (well educated).
    I find an early morning outing very good on the shy one's

Uncle Buck.

I dont have a problem as such, just find it anoying that a lot of foxs turn up here and are wild as hell and very lamp shy.
    When I first started lamping first i had to make a lamp from a headlight, the acid from the motrbike battery damaged a few coates but a lot of fun was had.(you have heard it all before i know)
    Because every tom dick and harry are hopefully learning as they go along, my threads intention was to suggest to them what effects they were having on foxs and how at this time of year they were making them lamp shy for there neigbour
    Thanks Ian