Post Harvest & Educating of Fox Cubs

Trufflehunting

Post Harvest & Educating of Fox Cubs

Im sure every one on the website knows that every time you light up a cub and don’t manage to kill it, that cub is educated to some degree.
If you squeak him in and don’t get a shot, he will be more cautious when the guy next door lamps him. (may still be killable ?)
On the other extreme if you do get a shot off and miss, as soon as the guy next door puts a lamp on him he will be gone. (will not be killable by lamping for the rest of his days) :mad::mad::mad::mad:
I have to say Im not a fan of electronic callers for year round use, What do you guy find.
Regards
Ian

there all stupid until called in for the first time but what drives them nuts is the squeekers out of pet toys once they're in close. Most bladed calls work just fine at getting their attention but if they've been shot out the best you can hope for is one turning round to have a look before it's off.

The other trick is leaving out some chow in the same open spot regularly like shot vermin. They soon come looking for it and if you have something with a snare round the middle of it staked down it can't carry it away it works well with a heavily filtered lamp or if you get in position on darkening once you know there's one nibbling.

i dont entirly agree with what you have said, if you lamp up any fox and dont manage to kill it it's not always a bad thing. sure if you take a shoot and miss it it's buggered and a long time till it sit's again but if you just leave it even if you have been sqweaking it and it wont come right in all is not lost. the fox has seen the light and nothing has happened to it so you are teaching it that the light is fine. i wouldnt be to worried about not killing every fox you shine the lamp on

i dont entirly agree with what you have said, if you lamp up any fox and dont manage to kill it it's not always a bad thing. sure if you take a shoot and miss it it's buggered and a long time till it sit's again but if you just leave it even if you have been sqweaking it and it wont come right in all is not lost. the fox has seen the light and nothing has happened to it so you are teaching it that the light is fine. i wouldnt be to worried about not killing every fox you shine the lamp on

Agree with this, its taking the shot and missing that does the damage. Lamp only is not a bad thing IMO. I use a Foxpro digital caller, mixed with some baiting even the most lamp shy foxes get it in the end.

The main foxing area that I shoot house's 6000 free range chickens. We dont tend to call as there are a number of other shooters in the area lamping rabbits and foxes. In the past foxes run on the sight of a lamp or when we've given a squeek they've taken off like scolded cats.
As for lamp shy foxes, if your out often enough you can learn that particular foxes habits and where he likes to bolt too when seeing the lamp. Sometimes we can catch them off guard and intercept him and that's his mistake.
They have to be lucky every time, we need to be lucky just once.

Agree entirely. Foxes dont mind being lamped, but if you shoot and miss then it is v difficult. Saying that with cubs you may get a second chance, with adults highly unlikely. Same is true if there are several in a field and you shoot one but dont get a shot at the second.

With v wary ones we either do NV or bait them. Occassionally it is an early am stake out.

We shoot around free range chickens and callers are U/S: except not as yet tried a chicken squark!!!!

Must say we try to get as close as possible so all end up dead, but last week major balls up when me and a mate missed the same fox twice (.17 and .223) so it is a little educated.

If in doubt dont shot there will always be another chance.

Of out again tonight having replaced Lightforce connector again!!!

D

if your having problems truffle try ringing the changes, if you drive round try walking, change your fillter colour or even just try driving round your ground a differnt way. these are all things which i have done in the past to catch out a well educated fox and they really do work as it completely throws the fox off guard

if your having problems truffle try ringing the changes, if you drive round try walking, change your fillter colour or even just try driving round your ground a differnt way. these are all things which i have done in the past to catch out a well educated fox and they really do work as it completely throws the fox off guard

I agree 100% change your tactics.
I do a considerable ammount of fox control, and come across a good few lamp shy one's (well educated).
I find an early morning outing very good on the shy one's

Uncle Buck.

I dont have a problem as such, just find it anoying that a lot of foxs turn up here and are wild as hell and very lamp shy.
When I first started lamping first i had to make a lamp from a headlight, the acid from the motrbike battery damaged a few coates but a lot of fun was had.(you have heard it all before i know)
Because every tom dick and harry are hopefully learning as they go along, my threads intention was to suggest to them what effects they were having on foxs and how at this time of year they were making them lamp shy for there neigbour
Thanks Ian

I have to admit to enjoying the challenge provided by a fox who has had a long & very educated life, as opposed to the humdrum control of those who are just getting into their stride.:D

I couldnt agree with finbears comments about lamping more (from another thread)
IF YOU MIX IDIOTS & FEEBLE MINDED INDIVIDUALS TOGETHER WITH FIREARMS / FIREWORKS /ALCOHOL / MOTORS............. THEN THE RESULTS WILL BE PLAIN FOR ALL.
Perhaps they are not so much idiots, perhaps on the learning curve.
It does boil my urine when these foxs turn up time after time on my bit well and truly educated .
There is nothing I enjoy more than going to some one elses bit and pitting wits against a well educated fox, it very relaxing.
Regards Ian

I have to admit to enjoying the challenge provided by a fox who has had a long & very educated life, as opposed to the humdrum control of those who are just getting into their stride.:D

Have to agree. I realise that we are doing a service to the farmer/game keeper etc but it is much more rewarding when there is some sport involved. Gets a bit too easy when the cubs just walk right up to you and ask you what ammo your using!!!!

If Badgers ever end up on the general/vermin licence Id struggle to shoot them unless they were causing a big problem to either cattle from a TB perspective or through plain damage to young/poults chickens etc. I have one permission that has cattle and not much else, there must be 10 - 15 bagers(possibly more) there across 3 sets. As Im out lamping I can basically walk up behind them even with the lamp full on. It wouldnt feel very sporting shooting them!!!! But as said I would if they were causing a big problem and they were classed as vermin.

Have to agree. I realise that we are doing a service to the farmer/game keeper etc but it is much more rewarding when there is some sport involved. Gets a bit too easy when the cubs just walk right up to you and ask you what ammo your using!!!!

If Badgers ever end up on the general/vermin licence
Id struggle to shoot them unless they were causing a big problem to either cattle from a TB perspective or through plain damage to young/poults chickens etc. I have one permission that has cattle and not much else, there must be 10 - 15 bagers(possibly more) there across 3 sets. As Im out lamping I can basically walk up behind them even with the lamp full on. It wouldnt feel very sporting shooting them!!!! But as said I would if they were causing a big problem and they were classed as vermin.
The tree huggers will have you shooting the dairy herd before you get on the Badgers boys!:rolleyes:

My philosophy is "It will always be there for another night"as long as it hasnt had a full beam in its face and been shot at.
john

we have just finished harvest on our farm, when cutting two foxes were spotted plus numerous hints from the local game keepers who harass them constantly with the lamp, i went out first night for a look round seen a fox and he bolted soon as we shone the lr headlights inthe field, week later shone lamp into valley to have a look 2 sets eyes 600 yrds off. 1 week later same valley got in close lamp on bang missed the bugger pulled the shot (was 250 yards out) kept lamp on shouted oi dick head where you off he stopped dead didnt miss this time 300 yards out, well happy went out night after in back landy rabbit shooting had a cub 3 shots of 32g no 4 have now got one cub left, just play at there own game couldnt squeak or shine the lamp directly on the as they would just bolt straight away. could always do the game keepers cheat and making feeding stations but then that is just boring, i am going shooting thursday night for fox and rabbit on another farm will let you know how i get on

Over the years i have had a few laughs with cubs one was across a valley long way outgave a few squeaks on the palm of my hand and he came running flat out, he dissappeared in the valley but suprised us by coming right at us up wind but letting us know of his arrival by falling in a water trough still unfazed even by the sound of our laughter over my squeaks he came right into the lr this his where he met his end,he was very nearly let off though!

Last edited:
we have just finished harvest on our farm, when cutting two foxes were spotted plus numerous hints from the local game keepers who harass them constantly with the lamp, i went out first night for a look round seen a fox and he bolted soon as we shone the lr headlights inthe field, week later shone lamp into valley to have a look 2 sets eyes 600 yrds off. 1 week later same valley got in close lamp on bang missed the bugger pulled the shot (was 250 yards out) kept lamp on shouted oi dick head where you off he stopped dead didnt miss this time 300 yards out, well happy went out night after in back landy rabbit shooting had a cub 3 shots of 32g no 4 have now got one cub left, just play at there own game couldnt squeak or shine the lamp directly on the as they would just bolt straight away. could always do the game keepers cheat and making feeding stations but then that is just boring, i am going shooting thursday night for fox and rabbit on another farm will let you know how i get on

Over the years i have had a few laughs with cubs one was across a valley long way outgave a few squeaks on the palm of my hand and he came running flat out, he dissappeared in the valley but suprised us by coming right at us up wind but letting us know of his arrival by falling in a water trough still unfazed even by the sound of our laughter over my squeaks he came right into the lr this his where he met his end,he was very nearly let off though!

LOL. Ill have to try the 'Oi dick head' call thats great :)

They are a s daft as hell, I think id ahev had to let him go just for the comedy value :)

Nice shooting though, its good to get a 2nd chance. I missed one a few weeks back at 200 yards, not taking enough time oveer the shot because it was such a lamp shy fox. Didnt get a 2nd shot.

Last edited:
I Shoot at least twice a week for foxes and find that eve lamp shy ones will get it in the end sometimes its worth not putting lamp directly on them but may be above or to the side in which they are going to run. However your shot needs to be quick and on target

I Shoot at least twice a week for foxes and find that eve lamp shy ones will get it in the end sometimes its worth not putting lamp directly on them but may be above or to the side in which they are going to run. However your shot needs to be quick and on target

Agree, that does work. I dont have a dimmer on my lamp but a pal does, this often works quite well with a red filter, just enough light to acquire, confirm and take the shot. I think Deben sell them for about £30.

as a full time gamekeeper of 28 years experience in harassing foxes the best advise i can give is if they wont call in , drive off then every time you see a shy fox just light it up and keep driving , eventually they will stand long enough one night . I would strongly advise against 300 yard shots at an already educated fox and never ever shout at them please , i suspect that most 300 yard shots are taken by people with very short legs or "dickheads" who cant count

Back