Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: nomad smock

nomad smock

a bit of advice needed,i bought a nomad smock about six months ago which leaked and had to be returned,the replacement leaked on every seam on the first outing so that one went back,just been out in the 3rd smock and this one has leaked on the left hand pocket and got damp on a few seams [it was pissing down].am i expecting to much for it to be 100% waterproof in those conditions,or should i send this one back and try another or buy a Swazi.
    atb Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pnse View Post
    a bit of advice needed,i bought a nomad smock about six months ago which leaked and had to be returned,the replacement leaked on every seam on the first outing so that one went back,just been out in the 3rd smock and this one has leaked on the left hand pocket and got damp on a few seams [it was pissing down].am i expecting to much for it to be 100% waterproof in those conditions,or should i send this one back and try another or buy a Swazi.
    atb Paul
    Get yourself a Paramo Smock instead

Best jacket I've ever had by a log way.

pnse

if it leaks i would send it back, they are supposed to 100% waterproof and it isn't.

steve

Swann dri for me

Just got a new one with a zip front to replace the one i've had for ten years or more, never let a drop in

I have seriously thought of buying Nomad gear in the past and every time i am about to summon up the courage to part with large amounts of my cash, someone posts a thread like this one! Nomad keep advertising, "15 years and no leaks"! Perhaps they ought to be asked to make a statement about this?

I for one will not be giving them my cash, and that's a shame as it looks to be well thought out kit.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Yip. I bought a Nomad jacket years ago and couldn't wait for the rain. The coat itself was very hard wearing, silent and most of all comfortable. Although it was wind proof it certainly wasn't waterproof which I found out whilst beating. Every seam leaked, I phoned them up and spoke to Philip (I think that’s his name) and he asked me to take a cold shower (hot would melt the glue in the seams) then take a picture of where it was leaking. I done this and e mailed them with my findings and low and behold never heard from them again. Years later I bumped into Philip in a petrol station (his transit van had broken down) and had a word with him about the situation and he apologised and said they must of been on the road selling their goods and that the e mail just got buried with all the goings on at that time.
    I wont be buying any more from them.

Send it back, full refund expected as your experience shows they are not fit for purpose. Buy from Country Covers, can't recomend them enough. Heard very good things about Swazi too but no first hand experience. Swanndris are brilliant and really warm and hard wearing but cannot be considered 'waterproof'. JC

I also would recomend country covers/arktis. Their kit is he dogs.

steve

PNSE,

Another vote for Country Covers from me. I got one of their waterproof "Field Smocks" from the Keepers Fair at Catton this spring. I've worn it in some pretty rainy weather and its not let me down. I'm very pleased with it.

I think I paid about 85 for it. They're in the catalogue at 110, but you might get one cheaper at a show.

Cheers,

Bob

I have only had one (smock) and 3 years on it is the best jacket I have had. 100% waterproof and breathe. It gets throughly tested on hill on hinds in the snow/rain and bunged in the washing machine covered in Morecambe and Solway mud after wildfowling. A lot of the pro stalkers in the highlands have them, I hope your experience was a one off. I have heard the new tweed ones are just as good even though slightly lighter.

For years I wore Austrian loden and Swanndris but they are not waterproof.