sako finlight .270

mo

Hi all, just a quick one, i am thinking of geting the above rifle in .270, now the finlight has a 21inch barrel my question is will i be at a disadvantage in terms of velocity because of the 21inch barrel? i.e will i not be able to get the rounds up to the speeds set in the reloading manuals? Any info/advice would be great. Thanks, Mo

Hi all, just a quick one, i am thinking of geting the above rifle in .270, now the finlight has a 21inch barrel my question is will i be at a disadvantage in terms of velocity because of the 21inch barrel? i.e will i not be able to get the rounds up to the speeds set in the reloading manuals? Any info/advice would be great. Thanks, Mo

If you hand load you can mitigate it some what by using faster powders. I have a BSA CF2 in .270 Winchester and it has a 20" barrel. It does bark a bit on report but it's accurate. I used H380 with the Nosler 130 grain Ballistic Tip. Accurate but I have never taken any game with this rifle. Always been wrong beast, sex or species when carrying this one. I did use the load in a 22" barreled .270 BSA Majestic featherweight and it worked well on the Muntjac buck.

When re-loading do not worry about the speed, accuracy and a tight group are more important.
The .270 will kill anything you are likely to encounter in this country and many people have their barrels shortened to fit moderators to 21ins. or less.

It is interesting to note that the 75 Finnlight in the IV action (.270, and in my case 6.5x55) has a 20 7/8" barrel, whereas the 85 Finnlight has a 22 7/16" barrel.

The 75 I've got certainly shoots slower than manufacturer's figures through its little tube, but even with the ancient decrepit 6.5x55mm it still works.
The .270 has a good deal more poke to start with, so I'd imagine it is certainly not going to be a significant problem.

I can remember vaguely thumbing through my hornady manual and looking at the pistol loads for the 270 and thinking that velocities were pretty high and that was with a tiny barrel, so I dont think you will have any problems!!!

not at all ..from 20" to 25" all you loose is about 25fps per inch .my sako is 22" and shoots 10mm groups ,my mate has a 20" blazer that shoots as well ..

Back