Pulsar Helion XP save your cash.

I’ve got an XP50 which is the top of the Range one I use it for Foxing and at nighttime looking at deer numbers on the estate and deer activity

I find the image quality fine and I’m happy with it as I don’t feel there is anything else for the money available

Likewise i returned my Helion XP 38. When testing it, i kept spotting roe deer with my binos which the thermal couldnt see, various settings. No good at stalking ranges.

Likewise i returned my Helion XP 38. When testing it, i kept spotting roe deer with my binos which the thermal couldnt see, various settings. No good at stalking ranges.

Find this hard to believe if used correctly

use mine mostly on Ren I've picked them up Binked in a crag straight away when lads have been scanning for ages with binos and can't make em out and that's with a quantum xq38:D

Last edited:

The xp50 I use pick things up at silly ranges. This morning I found two Sika stags at well over 500 yards, couldn’t tell they were stags at that distance but I knew they were Sika. Was watching a Roe buck the other day at 170 yards and could see it was in velvet due to the heat given off the velvet. Think your xp was faulty

The xp50 I use pick things up at silly ranges. This morning I found two Sika stags at well over 500 yards, couldn’t tell they were stags at that distance but I knew they were Sika. Was watching a Roe buck the other day at 170 yards and could see it was in velvet due to the heat given off the velvet. Think your xp was faulty
My point is that if you want a spotter for JUST spotting then a Helion has a whole load of extras that you will never use and the previous models don’t and concentrate on what you need it for, therefore money down the drain.
If you are looking for foxes they will always pick up easier with any thermal as they lose heat more than a deer and therefore brighter.
If you compare them in the field set up to their own optimum settings you will see the Helion is no better than quantum, buy a second hand quantum and save your cash.

My point is that if you want a spotter for JUST spotting then a Helion has a whole load of extras that you will never use and the previous models don’t and concentrate on what you need it for, therefore money down the drain.
If you are looking for foxes they will always pick up easier with any thermal as they lose heat more than a deer and therefore brighter.
If you compare them in the field set up to their own optimum settings you will see the Helion is no better than quantum, buy a second hand quantum and save your cash.

There's no difference in performance between a Quantum XQ (not HD or XD) and a Helion XQ with the same size lens.
Second hand Quantum XQs are being sold for almost the same price as a discounted new Helion XQ
Whilst I think actually operating a Quantum is easier than a Helion, and most of "toys" on the Helion are of debatable value, the much improved battery and the warranty that would come with one makes a new Helion XQ a better buy.

Cheers

Bruce

There's no difference in performance between a Quantum XQ (not HD or XD) and a Helion XQ with the same size lens.
Second hand Quantum XQs are being sold for almost the same price as a discounted new Helion XQ
Whilst I think actually operating a Quantum is easier than a Helion, and most of "toys" on the Helion are of debatable value, the much improved battery and the warranty that would come with one makes a new Helion XQ a better buy.

Cheers

Bruce
What is better on the Helion is the contrast and brightness in not inadvertently altered when pocketing the unit to climb gates etc, as it does with the Quantum and its wheel.

Cheers

Bruce

Exactly my point Bruce, if a Quantum XQ38 went for say £1550 Secondhand stick a few hundred on that and you have a brand new model Helion XQ38 with added features, fully ipx7 waterproof, better battery system and full warranty. No brainier..

The Helion model Range has a version for all budgets which does the job very well, I’m a Swarovski person so I like a quality image therefore I went for the XP50 and I’m very happy with it, as for all the features being pointless I feel there quite useful such as recording your Shooting buddies shots to watch later etc yes it’s a bit gimmicky but it does work

this thread is as useful as a debate about “why buy a 2 grand variable scope when a £300 fixed mag will do”

Couldn’t be happier with my XP38. I can ID Roe easily at 200 yards and have ID’d Fallow at 400

Last edited:
With the utmost respect you have a interest in one thing only selling them......
you can quote all the “tosh” you want in terms of microns, IPX7 etc etc.... the proof is all these extras are all useless to the man who stalks... if you are a photographer then it’s right up your street. However this is a stalking forum and I can only presume you have been given the Pulsar program....and all that tosh.....

I stalk, and can assure all that the XP version of the Helion is far supperior to the XQ. Anyone who stalks, is aware that shots are usually taken at a closer range, usually under 100 yds. The extra field-of-view of the Helion XP enables the stalker to easily pick out deer that may be standing amongst folliage. The XP also has interchangeable lenses, which is another benefit. As always, look through a unit before buying, at least then your decision is an informed one, and you only have yourself to blame if the wrong choice is made.

I have an XQ38 and am very happy with it. But what I advise people who want to buy spotters is that you have too learn to interpret the image and that will come with use and experience. Once something starts to move its easy and that holds true for foxes at 1000 yards but an image sat down gets more difficult ie a fox and a hare, but the nearer the image the easier it gets.

Thermal imaging has its limitations but a spotter is able to scan an area very quickly and give the user a very accurate indication, confirmation of which is made through whatever you have on top of your rifle or binos in the case of day time stalking.

bryn

I stalk, and can assure all that the XP version of the Helion is far supperior to the XQ. Anyone who stalks, is aware that shots are usually taken at a closer range, usually under 100 yds. The extra field-of-view of the Helion XP enables the stalker to easily pick out deer that may be standing amongst folliage. The XP also has interchangeable lenses, which is another benefit. As always, look through a unit before buying, at least then your decision is an informed one, and you only have yourself to blame if the wrong choice is made.
I refer you to the youtube comparison on another thread... In terms of changing the lens, the only benefit is to Pulsar!!...£900 for a 50 is another waste of cash. You are quite correct compare before you buy.
However being able to spot a heat source through foliage at a distance and then stalking in is the real benefit of these, and the quamtum XD50S out performs the Helion XP38, I have done an exact comparison.
If you cant see a deer under 100 yds without the use of a thermal, may I say you could have saved your money and gone to specsavers...

The Helion model Range has a version for all budgets which does the job very well, I’m a Swarovski person so I like a quality image therefore I went for the XP50 and I’m very happy with it, as for all the features being pointless I feel there quite useful such as recording your Shooting buddies shots to watch later etc yes it’s a bit gimmicky but it does work

this thread is as useful as a debate about “why buy a 2 grand variable scope when a £300 fixed mag will do”

Thanks for your input most informative.

I refer you to the youtube comparison on another thread... In terms of changing the lens, the only benefit is to Pulsar!!...£900 for a 50 is another waste of cash. You are quite correct compare before you buy.
However being able to spot a heat source through foliage at a distance and then stalking in is the real benefit of these, and the quantum XD50S out performs the Helion XP38, I have done an exact comparison.
If you cant see a deer under 100 yds without the use of a thermal, may I say you could have saved your money and gone to specsavers...

I disagree. I use a XP with a 28mm lens for stalking deer in forest and for shooting them at night, and a 50mm lens for spotting them at long range, across river flats and in hilly /mountainous terrain. The XP has the flexibility that other thermals with fixed lenses lack. I too also use XQ's but would choose the XP for the two aforementioned circumstances.

It's easy to miss deer in dense woodland, especially when there are deep shadows and bright sunny patches, when folliage acts as a cover. Call me old fashioned, but stalking is persuing deer on foot, not sitting up in a highseat? Specsavers won't help you to spot deer in these conditions, but a thermal will. Maybe I shoot over more varied terrain and require more from my equipment.

Last edited:
Hmmm "old fashioned"? How long before the ir and then the thermal drone spotter in the hands of the 'evolved stalker'? sport/conservation?

Back