Pulsar Helion XP save your cash.

Gzl

Word of caution... don’t be caught out with the Pulsar hype... I purchased a Helion XP 38 after looking at a friends Quantum XD50S. I was told by Pulsar that the Helion XP range was a vast improvement on Quantum XD. Here is the black and white of it and not the Pulsar Hype.
If you want to record detailed short distance and I mean by that 20 yds where you can see fine detail of your subject then the Helion is the choice for you, and you can post all your pictures over the internet which in their grand technicolour are about as interesting as watching paint dry. But that’s it...... If however you want a tool that can spot a heat source at distance and probably be able to decide whether it’s a fox or deer or sheep, then you just payed a whole load of extra cash for hehah! The Helion is in a word crap in comparison, and that’s on whatever setting you want to try against a Quantum, and yes I have compared both and was astonished at what you can spot through a line of trees on the Quantum that you could not see through the Helion.
Pulsar marketing arses have packed a whole load of crap into the Helion at the expense of what to the majority of us is the essential purpose of a spotting thermal, that is spotting! And to add to that the reliability of the more complex Helion is woeful, just search the internet and ask your local suppliers how many have been returned to Pulsar....
Anyone got a Quantum XD50S for sale?

Well thats a load of Tosh.

Considering a 25 micron XD50 2.8x retailed at £3000. Could not record, didn't have WIFI, was not IPX7 water proof rated, didn't have PIP or a Lithium B pack.

The new equivalent 17 micron Helion, offers a less grainy more detailed sharper image, as well as 4.1x mag far greater detection range and retails for less money at £2460, certainly a no brainer, and you compare a Quantum XD50 against a Helion XQ50 and the performance improvement is immediately obvious..

Your XP38 model utilises a 640 sensor and due to this and the 38mm lens only offer 1.9x mag... The XP models are good, costly but good and they require a 50mm lens to bring the best out of them, of which they offer the best detail under 200yds from any of the spotter range..

Seems like your a bit disgruntled because you have paid for something without doing your homework, return it to the seller if your not happy would be your best bet.

P.S if you tried the unit on a bad night i.e poor atmospheric conditions, high humidity then the image will be degraded but heat is still detected, a good night you will have great background detail and far better contrast.

Last edited:
I use the helion and have recorded Red deer at over 500 yards, very easy to see what they were. The colder the temperature the better but will admit it’s rubbish if it’s foggy. Which i can live with because if I can’t see things with my naked eye I can’t shoot them

With the utmost respect you have a interest in one thing only selling them......
you can quote all the “tosh” you want in terms of microns, IPX7 etc etc.... the proof is all these extras are all useless to the man who stalks... if you are a photographer then it’s right up your street. However this is a stalking forum and I can only presume you have been given the Pulsar program....and all that tosh.....
Well thats a load of Tosh.

Considering a 25 micron XD50 2.8x retailed at £3000. Could not record, didn't have WIFI, was not IPX7 water proof rated, didn't have PIP or a Lithium B pack.

The new equivalent 17 micron Helion, offers a less grainy more detailed sharper image, as well as 4.1x mag far greater detection range and retails for less money at £2460.

Your XP38 model utilises a 640 sensor and due to this and the 38mm lens only offer 1.9x mag... The XP models are good, costly but good and they require a 50mm lens to bring the best out of them, of which they offer the best detail under 200yds from any of the spotter range..

Point taken, however all the extras are probably never used by the serious stalker as there is never the time.. you still have to compare to see the difference.

With the utmost respect you have a interest in one thing only selling them......
you can quote all the “tosh” you want in terms of microns, IPX7 etc etc.... the proof is all these extras are all useless to the man who stalks... if you are a photographer then it’s right up your street. However this is a stalking forum and I can only presume you have been given the Pulsar program....and all that tosh.....

You see, I'm slightly different , I've used every model myself personally and compared them in the field in all conditions, ranges and quarry, I also would not sell anything myself I would not personally use, hence the reason I do not stock the XP38 model, the 640 sensor suits the larger 50mm lens so much better, and is an allrounder for most uses, as well as giving better performance in poor conditions due to the larger lens.

Your initial post as I said, is a disgruntled waffle. If your happy with an XD50 that had a RRP of £3000 and now the revised version is £2450 with better everything as well as being totally waterproof and increased image quality and detection range for less money... I just don't get it?

Take yours back and look for an XD...

Last edited:
Enlighten me, the revised version is what exactly at £2,450? And in terms of waffle, you contradict yourself and dismiss completely the 38, where the only difference is the objective lens. Which incidentally if you would like to upgrade from the 38 to the 50 would cost you approx £900 for the lens! And just to be clear the increased image quality is only at 20 yds.
QUOTE=.243Hunter;1358200]You see, I'm slightly different , I've used every model myself personally and compared them in the field in all conditions, ranges and quarry, I also would not sell anything myself I would not personally use, hence the reason I do not stock the XP38 model, the 640 sensor suits the larger 50mm lens so much better, and is an allrounder for most uses, as well as giving better performance in poor conditions due to the larger lens.

Your initial post as I said, is a disgruntled waffle. If your happy with an XD50 that had a RRP of £3000 and now the revised version is £2450 with better everything as well as being totally waterproof and increased image quality and detection range for less money... I just don't get it?

Take yours back and look for an XD or go back to specsavers...[/QUOTE]

GZL

The XD50 model you refer to is a 25 micron, 380 sensor , 50mm lens.

Its replacement is a Helion XQ50 17 micron, 380 sensor, 50mm lens, better performance, less cost. Which is what I have been telling you from the start, although you seem to have some confusion over XQ and XP models.

——

As far as the XP50 you would go for the XP50 straight away as buying a 38 then a 50 is not cost effective and in a sense pretty pointless. The 640 sensor is in essence similar to a full frame sensor in a digital SLR against the lower resolution sensor in the 380 which is like a crop lens giving more mag. At 2.5x mag the XP50 offers a great field of view, detection range and image.

Seems like you should of bought a Helion XQ38 or XQ50 over an XP38 and saved yourself some cash.

Last edited:
243 Hunter

then by your own arguement the Helion XP range are not worth the extra cash and the XQ 50 is a better buy...
What Pulsar has done Is to confuse not just the purchaser but the distributor in the interest of expanding the market, adding features such as stream vision etc, with no added detection enhancements, but quoting directly that the newer models out perform the previous and they don’t. As I already intimated you can quote all the figures you like but compare them side by side and the older model is better at spotting and was less expensive..
and for clarity the only difference between the Helion XP38 and it big brother the XP50 is the lens, not the sensor not the frame rate not the mag not the resolution, and just to add to it the battery on the Helion is not as good as the Quantum.

QUOTE=.243Hunter;1358212]GZL

The XD50 model you refer to is a 25 micron, 380 sensor , 50mm lens.

Its replacement the Helion XQ50 17 micron, 380 sensor, 50mm lense, better performance, less cost. Which is what I have been telling you from the start, although you seem to have some confusion over XQ and XP models.

——

As far as the XP50 you would go for the XP50 straight away as buying a 38 then a 50 is not cost effective and in a sense pretty pointless. The 640 sensor is in essence similar to a full frame sensor in a digital SLR against the lower resolution sensor in the 380 which is like a crop lens giving more mag. At 2.5x mag the XP50 offers a great field of view, detection range and image.

Seems like you should of bought a Helion XQ38 or XQ50 over an XP38 and saved yourself some cash.[/QUOTE]

243 Hunter

then by your own arguement the Helion XP range are not worth the extra cash and the XQ 50 is a better buy...

Right your initial post is all over the shop to be honest..

An XP model is 640 sensor, which allows increased heat detail sensitivity, as a comparison the XP50 when held side by side against a XQ sensor model... looks a lot smoother image, the heat sensitivity under 150-200yds is also better, the FOV at 2.5x mag is a really good all rounder ... Some people do not mind paying for these benefits, the image IS better and being a wider FOV with a larger lens also you get the benefits of the 1800m detection range and the best FOV, as well as 640 sensor.

The XQ models are all great, and do what most people need, I would use any of the XQ38, XQ50 and XP50 models.. You cannot really go wrong for the cost with an XQ38/XQ50 model you get a lot for the money, but if you want better and money is not an issue the XP50 offers this.

As I already intimated you can quote all the figures you like but compare them side by side and the older model is better at spotting and was less expensive..
and for clarity the only difference between the Helion XP38 and it big brother the XP50 is the lens, not the sensor not the frame rate not the mag not the resolution, and just to add to it the battery on the Helion is not as good as the Quantum.

Look you quoted an XD50 being better than your XP38................... I'm saying the most up to date model that replaces the XD50 is the XQ50, which has a better sensor, additional features and IPX7 integrity, the image IS better and it costs less at a lower RRP of £2450 compared to your XD50 older model that was £3000 with a lot less features and performance...

I'm getting bored now... go chuck your unit in the bin ...:rofl:

Last edited:
I get all of what your are saying, however the long and short of it is the Helion XP range has only frivolous extras over what Pulsar define as discontinued ranges, and I want to point out to guys who are thinking of upgrading that that is all they will get. They will not see more heat sources at range in fact depending on which Helion they go for they will see less, but hey they can record and view on their tablet/phone albeit a worse picture than through the viewfinder. If you can sell them good on you.

I have been using a Helion xp38 for six months now and i am very pleased with it, i can spot deer at long distance and easily tell if it is a fox or a deer, the only time its not so good it on wet rainy days when the detection range is considerably reduced, the fact that you can record stills and video is very useful .
i give the unit the thumbs up,

I don't sell thermal, so I don't have a dog in this fight but the OP has either been very badly advised, or failed to do his homework before buying.
The XD50S has a longer focal length lens (50 V 38) and a smaller sensor (9.6 x7.2mm V 10.9 x 8.2)
Shorter focal length and a larger sensor decrease overall magnification, and hence the detail you can see. The XP 38 loses on both counts, so compared to an XD50S it won't do very well.
Don't listen to salesmen but come to forums like this before you buy, to get expert, unbiased advice from people who are actually using the kit.
However, I do agree that the Helions have too many unnecessary toys and a much harder to use control system than the Quantums

Cheers

Bruce

I don't sell thermal, so I don't have a dog in this fight but the OP has either been very badly advised, or failed to do his homework before buying.
The XD50S has a longer focal length lens (50 V 38) and a smaller sensor (9.6 x7.2mm V 10.9 x 8.2)
Shorter focal length and a larger sensor decrease overall magnification, and hence the detail you can see. The XP 38 loses on both counts, so compared to an XD50S it won't do very well.
Don't listen to salesmen but come to forums like this before you buy, to get expert, unbiased advice from people who are actually using the kit.
However, I do agree that the Helions have too many unnecessary toys and a much harder to use control system than the Quantums

Cheers

Bruce

you are quite correct Bruce. And yes I listened to a Pulsar sales guy... my last words.

Cheers

Bruce

Bruce I agree, that's why I only stocked the XP50 models in the 640 range due to he XP38's low native mag

The short lived Quantum XQ model that was superseded with the Helion's was a great unit with the upgraded 17 micron sensor fitted, the controls were more natural .... but I wish they had some type of spring lock on the control rotary knob as it was very easy to knock and the brightness would end up moving and need adjusting. Also anyone who has used the Quantum range at some point will have noticed a ghosting when the unit heated up in the form of a circular ring... the heatsink fitted to the Helion models prevents this happening and aids cooling.. I wished the Helions still had a direct video out as I like to vehicle mount and do not like using a wifi option. That's why I moved from a vehicle mounted Quantum to a Apex XQ50 LRF model which still retains a video out with the benefit of a rangefinder also..but it seems WIFI is the way forward they have chosen.

Last edited:
Back