Sika Activity

Lakey

Hi All,

Heard my first triple whistle from a Sika Stag last night. Was up a high seat overlooking some fields and the call came from the wood behind me. Heard a second three whistles later on from even further in the wood so possibly two territorial stags maybe???? Beginings of the warm up to the rut starting here in Dorset.:D

nice to hear fella last time i was down on a course in bovington i saw great numbers of sika and in 1 field alone i would imagine a number of sika ranging from 30 to maybe 70 sika this was in an area between bovington and dorchester dont know if you know it but large numbers there
scotty

I was down in dorset for the bank holiday photo the sika in dorset and herd a few whistling like the rut was starting but seemed very early to me compaired to the one we go after in scotland.

At the weekend I was down at Tyneham at a BBQ and saw loads of Sika and heard the Stags whistle on the hills.

Cheers for the replies. the rut definitely hasnt started yet as it is still very early however I think the stags are warming up for the rut. one or two wallows have started to open up and if we get some colder/wetter weather in the next few weeks, that should increase activity a lot. then the rut will start proper.

I was out tonight but didn't hear any calling. Saw pleny of Hinds though and a small group of 8 pointers still eating the crops together.
Where abouts are you lakey?

I was out tonight in Dublin, heard around a dozen differnt stags whistling, was suprised to hear that many stags whistling this early.

wicklow202

Just got back from my area in Dorset, the rut is underway for the Sika, some whistlng on Saturday evening and evidence in some areas I have of thrashing and scrapes.

Good weekend as went down with Wadas, Tikka 308 and stayed at our Terrys place. Result in 4 outings 4 deer, three sika stags and one Roe Buck :D

Sika have been whistling on the shores of Loch Ness side now for approx two weeks. Shot a couple to the call last week.

Hmmmm, seems to have gone a LOT quiet down in dorset.Not much whistling and not many stags in evidence. most seem to be sticking to the large maize blocks and keeping their heads down. Could do with some colder weather to get the rut going again.Have spoken to a few 'Sika Boys' today and most seem to be finding it a bit tough locating the big stags? How are other members finding the Sika rut so far ???

Hi, Tamus - Sika activity well underway. Shot a run stag yesterday that must have been at it for a couple of weeks. Heard 5 seperate stags whistling last night despite the rain!

Last edited:
Hi, Tamus - Sika activity well underway. Shot a run stag yesterday that must have been at it for a couple of weeks. Heard 5 seperate stags whistling last night despite the rain!

Fine lad. Is your ground on the Invegarry side then? I hear whistling up the glens to the west of there but very little on our side of the water.

Back