Wild boar on the increase ?

chill123

Hi All
On the 5 live radio program on culling deer this Thursday ,the deer initiative representative
said that the increase in Wild boar in Britain are going to be a huge problem going forward . My question is are members seeing a huge increase in the areas they control ? I know the Forestry Commision are trying hard in Wyre forest to eradicate them .

Chilll

Same story in the Forest of Dean. I wouldn't listen too much to the DI, I can't imagine boar becoming a 'huge problem'. I shoot boar just on the edge of the Forest of Dean and they are getting a hammering at the moment, they are hated by most land owners and people are willing to pay through the roof to shoot them.

As long as people are charging a lot to shoot them and people are paying such sums, but not that many, they will never get on top of the escalating population.

I didn't know there were boar in the Wyre... I see plenty of fallow and the dog will occasionally flush (and then chase :doh: ) a munty but I've never seen sign of boar. Maybe the FC are succeeding. I get the impression they hit the deer quite hard.

They are and will be a problem where they have large areas of woodland that isn't managed properly or no shooting takes place at all. Down here in the South East there has been wild populations for 30 years but they're not really getting any bigger as there is no really big estates or areas where they are untouched and have a foothold unlike the FOD. Here as soon as they move from a small safe place they get shot and disperse and shot some more and even the safe places get hit hard by poachers. If they made it up onto Ashdown Forest it may be a different story.

I didn't know there were boar in the Wyre... I see plenty of fallow and the dog will occasionally flush (and then chase :doh: ) a munty but I've never seen sign of boar. Maybe the FC are succeeding. I get the impression they hit the deer quite hard.
I’d not heard of any in the Wyre Forest either.

I was shown a photo of wild boar a while back, I was told it was at the side of the severnmidway between S/port and Bewdley . Wouldn't tell me exactly where though, but I do know it was just off the road that runs down the side of the river.

I was shown a photo of wild boar a while back, I was told it was at the side of the severnmidway between S/port and Bewdley . Wouldn't tell me exactly where though, but I do know it was just off the road that runs down the side of the river.

Interesting! I drive that road frequently, I'll drive a bit slower and look around a bit more

I spoke with someone yesterday who visits friends in Wales and stopped in a lay-by somewhere it the Forest of Dean. He reckoned they are so used to being fed that all you had to do was rattle a crisp packet and they would appear from nowhere.

Interesting! I drive that road frequently, I'll drive a bit slower and look around a bit more

Opposite side of road to the river and up a pathway / track between bushes / undergrowth where dog walkers go .That's all I could make out from picture. I was told it was about halfway down the road, but that could be anywhere realisticaly.

i've not heard of any WB in Wyre Forest, though theres a picture doing the rounds on the bewdley facebook page of what purports to be a WB, but is infact a domesticated pig thats grazing in the forest - theres a company roundabout here called Forest Pigs who lease land from the FC to graze their pigs on, and then sell them on in a delicious form...

i'm a bit surprised they aren't here yet, i've certainly heard of reliable sightings north of the FoD up around Ledbury, but nothing in either Wyre or Mortimer.

boar are getting out of control and not only in the forest of dean but scotland, you simply cannot manage them its a case of how you can slow the numbers down till it explodes, regards wayne

Saw our first a month ago about 4 miles away ,genuine sighting me n the mrs both giving wtf its a boar at the same moment only 1 on his jack rooting up the roadside.

A problem not just in the British Isles it seems. A Telegraph report on the situation in Japan.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/10/ageing-japanese-towns-overrun-wild-boars/

What the article doesn't say is that IIRC it's almost impossible for an ordinary Japanese citizen to have access to firearms or shoot for recreation, so I presume that short of action by the authorities, there is no means to control their numbers.

I think they also had an issue with Nuclear fallout from the powerplant that went up a few years ago meaning meat from that area was contaminated and not fit for consumption.

I heard they have moved up to as far north as Drumnadrochet (West bank of Lochness), but have yet to see any. One can, only, hope. Loved shooting them, in Germany, and look forward to convincing some to come home with me, here in UK.

boar are getting out of control and not only in the forest of dean but scotland, you simply cannot manage them its a case of how you can slow the numbers down till it explodes, regards wayne

Hi Wayne
I am aware of the pigs around the area that Colin Lockerbie manages and remember some years ago that South of Stranraer there was a bunch of escapees. Interested to know other locations you may have knowledge of.

i've not heard of any WB in Wyre Forest, though theres a picture doing the rounds on the bewdley facebook page of what purports to be a WB, but is infact a domesticated pig thats grazing in the forest - theres a company roundabout here called Forest Pigs who lease land from the FC to graze their pigs on, and then sell them on in a delicious form...

i'm a bit surprised they aren't here yet, i've certainly heard of reliable sightings north of the FoD up around Ledbury, but nothing in either Wyre or Mortimer.

I've seen some odd sights in Bewdley, but never a wild boar :D

A problem not just in the British Isles it seems. A Telegraph report on the situation in Japan.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/10/ageing-japanese-towns-overrun-wild-boars/

What the article doesn't say is that IIRC it's almost impossible for an ordinary Japanese citizen to have access to firearms or shoot for recreation, so I presume that short of action by the authorities, there is no means to control their numbers.
At a DI meet a couple years ago we had a presentation that included this problem, firearm control of deer etc in Japan is a real no no, UNLESS you have gone through around fifteen YEARS of consultation, they prefer some sort of trapping and electrocution setups, What more could you expect from a Whaling nation?

Back