Scope advice/help

jimmy milnes

Here the story so far.....
I'm fed up of having zoom parallax bt and all the bells and whistles on my scopes so I've decided to try some back to roots stalking.
I've bought a finnlight in 7mm08 that's not screw cut and won't be so either, but it's the scope I'm struggling to find as I'm wanting a fixed power decent glass one but they all seem to just have plex type reticle and if I'm honest I'd like something with a graded reticle so I have solid reference points for hold over if I need to stretch out a ways.
Any advice greatly appreciated
Jimmy

Bushnell fixed 10 power, 3200 model with mildots.
Quite a cheap scope sight, but good enough for deer stalking to a fair range.
Too much power for me in woods.
The earlier ones used to ‘milk out’ in some conditions, Don’t know about current ones.
Ken.

Meopta 6x42 or 7x50 with 4b reticle can't go wrong

Yes the Meopta 'Artemis' 7x50 fixed power is superb.
Or the MeoStar R1 or R2 series, 7x56 or 8x56; or MeoPro 6x42. All with a choice of recticles.
And about 1/2 to 1/3 of the cost of certain Premium Brands...

Bushnell fixed 10 power, 3200 model with mildots.
Quite a cheap scope sight, but good enough for deer stalking to a fair range.
Too much power for me in woods.
The earlier ones used to ‘milk out’ in some conditions, Don’t know about current ones.
Ken.
That's a back to roots stalking scope??? Sheesh!;)~Muir

I have the Finnlite in 7mm-08 too and until today had a Meopta 7x50 on there. Superb set up. I didn't need to change out the scope but I had the Zeiss there in the box calling to me so ....

The Meo doesn't have anything clever in the reticle but the one on my 25-06 does have a roe ranger thing. Honestly I don't think I've ever used it. Point and shoot. I have a few Meoptas and they have been excellent. Never found them wanting in really low light at dawn and dusk under the trees in a seat for example.

I must admit I found this really annoying at the shooting show when I went up with a mate - I was on the lookout for some glass for a new rifle and EVERY SINGLE scope had umpteen turrets, parallax, a crazy amount of zoom and more knobs and buttons on it that a 1980's Casio calculator.

All I want is a 2-12 or 3-12 zoom, an illuminated reticle, a 30mm tube and a 50mm lens - You can get that, but only with eleventy billion other completely unnecessary gimmicks.

In the end I managed to find a Swarovski Z6i 2-12x50 for a price I was happy to pay, but I'm despairing of whats going to be available in a few years time. Every makers seems to be wanting to cater for the Soldiers of Fortune out there with more bells and whistles than Rudolphs reins.

I think you need to take that back about Rudolph Stu...... he produces perfectly good scopes with basic mag, no illumination, side parallax and no bells or whistles. :rofl:

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/product/rudolph-varmint-hunter-vh-4-16x50-riflescope/ :coat:

I must admit I found this really annoying at the shooting show when I went up with a mate - I was on the lookout for some glass for a new rifle and EVERY SINGLE scope had umpteen turrets, parallax, a crazy amount of zoom and more knobs and buttons on it that a 1980's Casio calculator.

All I want is a 2-12 or 3-12 zoom, an illuminated reticle, a 30mm tube and a 50mm lens - You can get that, but only with eleventy billion other completely unnecessary gimmicks.

In the end I managed to find a Swarovski Z6i 2-12x50 for a price I was happy to pay, but I'm despairing of whats going to be available in a few years time. Every makers seems to be wanting to cater for the Soldiers of Fortune out there with more bells and whistles than Rudolphs reins.

I think you need to take that back about Rudolph Stu...... he produces perfectly good scopes with basic mag, no illumination, side parallax and no bells or whistles. :rofl:

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/product/rudolph-varmint-hunter-vh-4-16x50-riflescope/ :coat:

Haha! No way! :D I've not heard of that brand before - Ok, well Rudolph might have simple scopes down pat but his stablemates certainly havent hehe!

To be honest I agree with AN DU RU FOX - I reckon this this just marketing.

The annoying thing is I wouldnt mind all the extra knobs if I could just ignore them, but they're all sticky-outy and get in the way, the make the scope heavier and more cumbersome, they make it more likely you'll smack one getting into a seat and knock your zero off and, worst of all, they make the light transmission WORSE! :doh:

The Swaro Z4i was an £1100 scope that gets (as I recall) 94% light transmission and has no twiddly bits at all. Its brilliant and I would have happily bought a second one except Swarovski killed that line off.

So now you have the Z6 (£1600+ unless you happen to be lucky and find a good offer as I was fortunate to do) and 90% light transmission, the Z8 (£2k+!!) which does have 93% light transmission but is twice the price of the Z4 and still not quite as good (lots more twiddly toys than the Z4 though...) or the X5 which is a TR scope.

Dont get me wrong, Swarovski make bl00dy good scopes and I think they are worth the money within reason, but I wish the various top end makers would just keep one line thats a no frills, basic zoom that doesnt go up to a million and illuminated reticle stalking scope.

You're totally right...... pure marketing.
Plus the fact that when they want to charge you an extra 200 notes for the latest scope, they almost feel obliged to add another twiddly turret or new fandangled reticle.

The only time i brought into the 'gimmick' side of scopes was for a Zeiss ASV turret purely because it fitted my needs of a good hunting/stalking scope that i could also use for plinking some gongs at med/long range for a bit of practice.

Look on the sales threads, both on here and BBS, and the scopes you'll predominantly see for sale are the 4-16, 2.5-20, x50/56. Nobody ever seems to sell scopes in the 3-9 or 4-12 x 40 or 42 class. Is that because nobody has them any more, or because once you've got one, you tend to hang on to it? 'cos it just works

Back