BRNO Model 2 .22 LR Ammo

I'll try and raise my standards to make me as amazing as you are Muir. ;)

The OP was referring to Eley subs and having had probably about 12 BRNO's and CZ's over the years (my first being a 581 semi auto when I was 14 and after that a Model 2 and since then 452's and 455's and the majority of the time shooting Eley or RWS subs in them) I have to say that an inch or there abouts (possibly a bit less or a bit more) is an average performance with Eley or RWS subsonic ammo at 50 yards.

The OP is getting 1.25" and that's assuming the group is being measured outside edge to outside edge. I'd say that's average with subsonic ammo.

Are you saying that your "slew" of CZ's will consistently shoot half inch groups with non match ammo at 50M?
I don't have much use for match ammo or subsonics and yes, they will consistently shoot sub 1" if is an ammunition the gun likes and it is a good LOT of same. When it really likes the ammo, half inch +/- a little is not an exception to the rule. The Aguila "SE" High Velocity I like shooting will shoot MOA from several of my BRNO's out to 100yards when the wind gods allow. In a 40 round comparison to SK-made Wolf Match it registered smaller SD and ES. MTLEADFARMER and I often shoot empty 22 hulls off the 50 yard backer and we don't miss much. I use high velocity almost exclusively. IT depends on the rifle and the particular chamber cut in the rifle. I don't even know how many 22's I have anymore but I expect all to do better than an inch @ 50 once i find the ammo it likes.

Brno 581. Great rifle. As it happens, one of the smallest 25M groups I ever fired with with my 581 from a foreend rest with a 4X scope on board. It was almost a single hole for 5 rounds. ~Muir

I’d say that’s acceptable personally. My 452 does about an inch with Eley subs and RWS subs. It will do a bit better with match ammo. You will always get folks that say their rifle will do half inch etc but I’d love to see 5 x 5 shot groups from these same folk as my belief is the ammo isn’t upto it. I just look for minute of rabbit these days as I’ve spent far too long chasing the holy grail with .22LRs.

DSC_0956.jpg

5 shot group with CCI from BRNO #2
As Muir can probably remember, I couldn't hit an A4 sheet of paper at that range when I first joined this site looking for advice. Thanks to the help of Muir (and others) the situation has improved.

I’d say that’s acceptable personally. My 452 does about an inch with Eley subs and RWS subs. It will do a bit better with match ammo. You will always get folks that say their rifle will do half inch etc but I’d love to see 5 x 5 shot groups from these same folk as my belief is the ammo isn’t upto it. I just look for minute of rabbit these days as I’ve spent far too long chasing the holy grail with .22LRs.

You think 1 ¼" at 50 is acceptable for shooting rabbits, if you want a rabbit to drop without kicking with a .22lr you need to hit the brain, about walnut size.
So you would be pushing your luck to do that at 50 yards with a group like that.

Neil.

You think 1 ¼" at 50 is acceptable for shooting rabbits, if you want a rabbit to drop without kicking with a .22lr you need to hit the brain, about walnut size.
So you would be pushing your luck to do that at 50 yards with a group like that.

Neil.

Thanks very much for the lecture. I’m talking real world accuracy not internet accuracy.

Last edited:
Well crown looks slightly non-concentric, not a lot, but I can see it.
Might be giving a slight "push" to one side when the bullet is coming out from the barrel.
Going to improve the concentricity, and try lots of different ammo at the weekend.
Will let all replying to this post the result.

I have a CZ455 and using CCI standard gives me ragged 1 hole groups. Tried some RWS Z-lang which is given to us free by the local community to control rooks and couldn't get better than 6" groups at 25m. Needless to say it wasn't used.

No your making excuses for a rifle/shooter that isn't up to the job.

Neil.

So are you saying that every out of the box CZ should shoot under 1.25” at 50 yards with subsonic hunting ammo? What is the OP supposed to do if everytime he gets a rifle that shoots just over an inch at 50 yards with subsonics – send it back under warranty? I know what the importer would say. We are talking about a standard hunting rimfire with standard hunting ammo. It’s a perfectly acceptable performance. Or do you suggest that everytime he buys a rifle that doesn’t shoot under an inch with standard hunting ammo he off loads it until he finds one that does? We are talking about a standard production sporter shooting standard ammo – not a Feinwerkbau 2700 shooting Tenex.

So are you saying that every out of the box CZ should shoot under 1.25” at 50 yards with subsonic hunting ammo?

Never come across one that won't better that with ammo it likes, provided you do your job.

Neil.

Never come across one that won't better that with ammo it likes, provided you do your job.

Neil.

That's my experience also but I would emphasise good quality ammo that suited the rifle I've come across some .22lr ammo that wouldn't shoot a 2" group at 25 yards never mind a 1" group at 50 metres, Remington immediately springs to mind.

20180320_183201-2016x1512.jpg Ruger Precision Rimfire 50 yards 20 rounds. I was testing different ammunition and switched from CCI Blazer to Aguilla High Velocity shots 1&2 I would attribute to the ammo/Lube switch. Didn't have anymore Aguilla HV with me to shoot another group.

My Brno model 2 shoots Eley Sport (green box) the best out of all the ammunition that I’ve tried. I hunt rabbits with it, I guess that some may not support the idea of shooting rabbits with non expanding ammunition but I find that their consistency and my confidence in using them means that the rabbits pretty much always get it in the brain, and they don’t run away after that.

Danny.

Back