Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 rear mount screws

Remington 700 rear mount screws

Had a problem recently with my rifle not holding its zero. This problem became apparent after the rifle was seriously knocked last week. I went back to basics and removed the scopes and checked the mounts for security. The front were spot on but as I checked the rear mounts the first screw was spinning freely and the second was lightly attached. Both screws for some reason have become knarled.

My question is where can i get replacement screws as these screws usually come with the Leupold base plate.

Thanks
    Rem 700

Replacements can be had no problem. Leupold do them as do places such as Midway and Brownells. Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Remington 700 View Post
    Had a problem recently with my rifle not holding its zero. This problem became apparent after the rifle was seriously knocked last week. I went back to basics and removed the scopes and checked the mounts for security. The front were spot on but as I checked the rear mounts the first screw was spinning freely and the second was lightly attached. Both screws for some reason have become knarled.

My question is where can i get replacement screws as these screws usually come with the Leupold base plate.

Thanks
    Rem 700

Got some Leupold rear screws here, your quite welcome to have them. Pm your address and I will sling them in the post to you.

Leon

I would get rid of the rings and bases, swap for Warne or something without "windage screws". Less to go wrong.

They drove me mental when I had a remmy

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldan View Post
    I would get rid of the rings and bases, swap for Warne or something without "windage screws". Less to go wrong.

They drove me mental when I had a remmy
    Dan,

These are the screws that hold the bases to the rifle mate.

Leon

Leon is spot on; it’s the two small screws that attach the mount base to the receiver. The threads on both screws have become worn luckily the threads in the receiver look ok.

On the range the other day I checked the rifle at 25 yards and found I had to move the crosshairs 40 clicks left to bring it back to the 6 o'clock position. At 100 yards the rounds resembled a scatter gun and I feared the worst, thinking my Nightforce scopes are totally trashed. Basically all the rounds were within a 6 inch group but without any consistency. That’s when I thought strip the rifle, blitz the barrel, trigger, and mounts the whole lot, hence finding the duff screws.

Leon p.m. sent

i'm sure you will cook up another excuse for duff shooting once this has been resolved baw jaws

Leon p.m. sent
    [/QUOTE]

On their way, bit of loctite might stop this happening again.

Leon

If the replacement screws turn out to be still spinning then the threads in the action have stripped - they will need opening up and retapping to 8x40, the original screws are 6x48 - it is not uncommon for this to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by pete evans View Post
    i'm sure you will cook up another excuse for duff shooting once this has been resolved baw jaws
    How can you say such things when
    1. you missed a fox which was sitting smoking a woodbine.
    2. you eventually killed a fox with boredome, even the battery on the vehicle almost ran dry and the fox was only 40 yards away.