Some help for those travelling to Africa with guns

Fabnosh

Hello all

Having a read a few threads recently asking for help with travel to Africa with guns, I thought I’d offer what I can. This is predominately based around travel to South Africa but the Heathrow elements (at least for terminal two – South African Airways) will be common. Here we go. If other SD readers can supplement with details please don’t fight the urge to do so.

The SAA check in at Heathrow opens at 2pm – pointless to get there before this time but do allow a good two hours for the check in process.

There seems to be little point in informing the airline that you’re traveling with firearms as they never seem to have note on your booking and, to be honest, it makes little difference. Despite what some may say, don’t try to slip your ammo into your hold luggage. Make it explicit and get the ammo case, gun case and travel luggage tagged this will save the irritating announcement for passenger XXX to come to the SAA desk about an hour after you’ve gone through security lol . The desk will take your hold luggage and ask you to wait for security to come and take your guns – usually a little way from the check-in desk. This can take anything from 10 to 50 mins depending whether they are currently in T2 or elsewhere.

Security will then – with you – fill out a form specifying what you’re traveling with (guns, ammo) and issue you a receipt for your guns; they do not open your case at this point. They know what they are doing and are generally very efficient. You then need to go through the normal passenger security check and head (once airside) to the VAT reclaim office (situated up a corridor besides the Dixons store). Once there, you just wait for the security guy you initially met to reappear with your guns and ammo (having had them X-ray’d). The border control police will then open the guns and check them off against your FAC and take copies of your FAC. They then take the guns and off you go to have a much needed wee and get a glass of wine and wait for your flight.

When you get to the boarding gate do check that the guns have been loaded. Board, fly, sleep, arrive.

On arrival in Johannesburg collect your hold luggage (even if booked through to another internal destination) and go to the totally unmarked firearms collection point office by carousel 7 in the baggage hall to 'claim' the guns before leaving the baggage hall. It is not marked but is like a gap between two parts of the buildings and there is a small office. Your guns go there first. They check them in and take some details and then walk the guns to the firearms import/export area (this is done without you). You then leave the baggage hall with your hold luggage and head landside. At the arrivals area you can see the signs for the firearms import/export permit office where you do the paperwork with the SAP 520 to actually collect the guns. They will have the guns there when you arrive (probably) and you’ll then open the case and check off your guns against the SAP520. This can take a while. Be patient, polite and calm. They have a job to do and if they don’t do it you don’t get your guns.

If you have an internal flight then go up a floor to the check-in floor to get your bag checked in at the airline desk to its final destination and then take the guns to the internal firearms office to the left of the internal flight security check. It’s worth noting that when you leave the main point where you collected your guns at the firearms import/export area the you’ll get approached by the porters who are dressed in black and orange. I’d use one if I were you to move you about the airport – they know the score and I’m generally knackered at this point and they know where they are going. 20R is about what you should pay - worth every cent.

The internal flights firearms office will take the guns and do the checks against the numbers against the import documentation that you’ve just been issued with at the firearms import/export area. You then head through the internal security check to go airside. Don’t rush – there is bugger all to do airside in the internal flight departure lounge

At Port Elizabeth (PE) (which is my final point) the guns will go to the local firearm office - which is to the right of the security check - at which point you show the documents issued at the firearms import/export area at Johannesburg then you’re free to go.

For the return, at PE – or your departure airport - get your hold bag checked right through to London and get the guns tagged. Take the guns to the office that you originally collected them. They’ll do the check and then take them.

Don't go into departures too soon as there is sod all to do.

At Johannesburg go through to baggage collection (even though hold luggage is checked through and there is no need to collect it) and go to the collection point (barely marked) to the right of the exit door - it's just a black door beside the orange 'mango' baggage assistance point opposite carousel 5.

Wait there until your guns arrive. They’ll do the mandatory checks against the documents and off you go landside.

Go to the SAA check in desk in terminal B and get the gun tagged.....but only if they've ripped it off at the first office....which they frequently do. If tag intact, then go straight to the export firearms check-in on the second-floor mezzanine. This is a different place from where you collected them on arrival and is only sign posted when you’re on that floor. Again, another check and they then keep all your originally issued documents. They then take your gun. All done.

Again, when boarding, check they have been loaded on the flight

At Heathrow collect your hold luggage from baggage collection go through the red channel (something to declare) and tell them you're collecting firearms....then just wait. They check off the guns against your FAC and then you leave.

I hope that helps.

FN

Thanks for the info on South Africa and the airport part. I went last year for the first time but our U.K. based agent did all the paperwork and walked us through the airport

Two questions did you get a proof of export from U.K. form ahead of going or was it issued at Heathrow the previous guy who was doing them has disappeared

secondly did did you use meet and great or do it yourself I have six hour gap between flights in Johannesburg so likely to do diy when I go out in May this year

thanks for post

Hi Tazz

Forgive the delay is getting back to you. The Border police will issue you a temporary export permit ahead of your travels for this they need scanned copies of:

- FAC (all pages)
- Letter of invitation from the outfitter (which the SA authorities also need)
- Flight itinerary
- copy of passport

Send this lot to ukba.firearmslhr@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk and they will issue you a temporary export permit. I'd allow at least six weeks for this and do check the numbers and dates on the document when you get it back. It's a free service.

I've never used a meet and greet so I can't offer any advice there. I did notice this year that firearms offices at both J'burg and PE had big signs not allowing agents in the offices. I had a six hour gap as well as SAA had dumped the midday flight to PE

I'd be happy to chat more broadly if you want to PM me with a number.

Thanks

FN

I am off to Namibia in June via Joberg. Bags and firearms are going to be checked direct through. Do we need a temporary export licence. I should know this we went 2 years ago but I cant remember.
Thanks, Tusker

Hi Tusker

As far as I'm aware it's only the SA authorities that require the temporary permit. As you're not having SA as your final destination it would seem unlikely.....but that is just speculation on my part. I'm sure a call to the SA embassy should be able to resolve this.

The SD member 'Safari hunter' is the UK agent for an outfitter - Settlers Safaris - who arrange hunts in Namibia so it may be worth dropping him a line.

FN

Thanks Fabnosh

I have now e mailed my FAC, flights, passport copy and letter from outfitter to guy at Border Force he took a week to get back to me but said once he gets the paperwork I will get temporary in less than a week. I am still considering the basic meet and greet where they meet you in arrivals and give you the Import/Export license you get with a completed 520. Like you I have a six hour stopover so not under time pressure. Even if I do meet and greet I willcarry another 520 completed and all the paperwork I need to DIY it. Last year when we went out to SA our U.K. agent did not pre book and got two of us with a rifle each through in 20 minutes after some handing over of Rand to the key people. I have 5 weeks before I fly so still have time to sort. Like you I will feed back on the forum how it all went, going for 16 days 14 days hunting fly in to Johannesburg then on to Port Elizabeth really looking forward to it

Hi Tazz

Looks like you have it all sorted.

The 520 isn't a complex document though. The form needs to be filled out as follows;

page 1 of 8 nothing
page 2 of 8 Client info; fill out E1-25
page 3 of 8 only F only clients (owner) details
page 4 of 8 G only (import info)
page 5 of 8 Clients Details of firearm and ammo
page 6 of 8 Client need to sign (at SA airport in front of police officer) + details, do not fill out K

Note the last point and just don't sign it until the import/export office in Johannesburg ask you to. You have six hours to kill so spending an hour collecting your guns might actually be a blessing. It will also means you don't have to 'hand over Rand to key people' and thus perpetuate the culture (ok, that's the idealist in me showing through lol).

Whatever route you choose have a great trip. I was in PE area in March and, because of the rains in Jan there was water and food everywhere and the hunting was hard but rewarding. The ticks however where also hunting! Do make sure you really well protect yourself as African Tick Bite fever is not too be recommended (personal experience from 2015!)

Have a good one.

FN

Hi Fabnosh

Thanks again for all the help and tips. Can’t do a precooked meet and greet until I get my Temp Export letter from Gov guys. If it comes this week I am considering the option the the SA police offer which is to E mail them all the same stuff an agent requires and when you arrive at the police office they have your permit ready and don’t charge extra but I think they need 21 days min so it needs to turn up this week for me to make that. Took my new 300 win mag to a range this weekend to zero it, recoil is a step up from my 270 but great to shoot it, SA in May will be its first game outing and have 14 full days hunting booked with Eland, Waterbuck and Kudu at the top of the list. Enjoyed my trip last year be good to compare it to this

i will post update to taking rifles to Africa on my return including what option I went with and how it worked out. Although like you there is a “purist” in my soul I sense like last year Rand will be handed over in police office with a view to me getting the rifle before my return flight is due !!

Hi Fabnosh

Thanks again for all the help and tips. Can’t do a precooked meet and greet until I get my Temp Export letter from Gov guys. If it comes this week I am considering the option the the SA police offer which is to E mail them all the same stuff an agent requires and when you arrive at the police office they have your permit ready and don’t charge extra but I think they need 21 days min so it needs to turn up this week for me to make that. Took my new 300 win mag to a range this weekend to zero it, recoil is a step up from my 270 but great to shoot it, SA in May will be its first game outing and have 14 full days hunting booked with Eland, Waterbuck and Kudu at the top of the list. Enjoyed my trip last year be good to compare it to this

i will post update to taking rifles to Africa on my return including what option I went with and how it worked out. Although like you there is a “purist” in my soul I sense like last year Rand will be handed over in police office with a view to me getting the rifle before my return flight is due !!

Tazz,

Never heard of anyone having to bribe the SAPS, ever. Signs all over the office giving you phone numbers to call if anyone asks you for it. You pass Rand and get caught, not good news. Your Outfitter may bark at them and tell you otherwise, but he’s more focused on the tip he expects. If your rifle case isn’t there yet, you are not being delayed.

In over 20 trips down there I’ve never had my rifles arrive in the SAPS office before I’ve got through immigration, collected my luggage and got to the office. I’m usually one hour from wheels on tarmac to out of the office with my rifles.

There are vested interests in selling things that are for free. Your own outfitter is your best source of advice.

I’ve observed too many people turn up without Photocopies of their original documents. (Danish often don’t have a suitable permit that details their weapons.) Those that do May have high resolution scans and the SAPS guy sees them the same as originals. Make a B&W “offset” photocopy.

Presenting a signed SAPS 520 is also invalid. Don’t date the SAPS 520 as well in. Are your flight is delayed and you end up arriving “just after midnight, or a day late”. Take a blank 520 with you.

Stan

Hi Stan

Thanks for the note back. Last year when we went out to SA with U.K. based agent it all went smoothly he had pre filled out the 520 for the two of us who were taking rifles. However we did “Tip” at least two people in the office at Johannesburg and when we got to Kimberley. Good advice to take a spare 520 I will do that. The only thing I am still chasing is my temp export letter from the U.K. border guys. Last year we were issued with the Temorary export by the guys at Heathrow as we booked the rifles in at the U.K. end. There seems much confusion around who does the temporary license at the U.K. end as one of the offices has now closed that used to do that

regards Tazz

Hi Stan

Thanks for the note back. Last year when we went out to SA with U.K. based agent it all went smoothly he had pre filled out the 520 for the two of us who were taking rifles. However we did “Tip” at least two people in the office at Johannesburg and when we got to Kimberley. Good advice to take a spare 520 I will do that. The only thing I am still chasing is my temp export letter from the U.K. border guys. Last year we were issued with the Temorary export by the guys at Heathrow as we booked the rifles in at the U.K. end. There seems much confusion around who does the temporary license at the U.K. end as one of the offices has now closed that used to do that

regards Tazz

Tazz,

Should still be ukba.firearmslhr@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk

They issue for all airports, ports etc.

Usually send out in the post to you.

Stan

Thanks Stan, sent an E mail to them today using the one you posted. I will be happy when I am on the plane and thinking about the trip and not all the admin !!!

Just finishing up a trip to Namibia. In future my rifles will have QD mounts and the scopes will be removed from the rifles while in transit.
I’ve been abroad with rifles a good few times but the zero check showed some serious errors on the first day. The cases must have had a severe bit of handling somewhere along the line.
Still we’ve had a great ten days. Mainly oryx,zebra and a few jackals and baboon added variety.

Hello Tazz

Same here i'll be using my new 300wm for the first time as well..

Can i ask, which ammo your using on the 300wm as i could only find 2x boxes of Fusion 180gr but havent zeroed it yet.. looking for a suitable range...

many thanks

Asif

Hi Asif

i am back from a brilliant 14 day hunt, I posted it on general forum under “second trip SA hints and tips’ as I learned a lot more from first trip. Ammo after much research I used Federal Premium Throphy Bonded Tip they are a development from the Bonded Bearclaw but with a pole ear tip, I used the 165 grains they also do a 180. I recovered 8 of them every one big mushroom and great weight retention including the one I shot huge Eland with 260 yards it walked 15 yards went over and was stone dead, bullet under the skin opposite side. I checked with GMK who they supplied in my area and my local gun shop ordered them took couple weeks. Have great trip

Tazz

If anyone is travelling with Qatar Airways, they can only export firearms through Birmingham at present. Which they didn’t tell me until I tried to check in at Heathrow 2 hours ago, despite emailing me all of the paperwork in February and me returning it last month. I’m currently in an airline sponsored taxi to race home, put my rifle away and get back in time for the flight! Fortunately the outfitter in Namibia is sorting a rifle for me.

Last edited:
Ray Cuthberts a local gunsmith drove to LHR after Croatian Airlines refused my rifle. And i picked my rifle up ,on return I went to him he charged me £20 what a great Bloke.
+442089792687 98 Oakfield Road Hampton TW12 2HR.

Border force will issue a temp export document before travel or at heathrow .You will need one for DIY entry.

Last edited:
Back