Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 30-06 Springfield

30-06 Springfield

Good evening everyone……I’m in the process of completing a variation for a larger calibre rifle……..Until now I have been shooting an HMR for rabbits, crows and the odd fox and a .223 for stalking roe. However in the next few weeks the HMR will being going in favour of a new rifle suitable for large lowland reds and the odd Sika..

I would like a rifle/calibre suitable for shooting everything including pigs which I plan to have a pop at in the near future.

I have been reading a bit about the 30-06 Springfield, it appears to tick all the boxes…..has anyone on the forum used the 30-06? And how does it compare to the other popular stalking rounds?

Finally, I notice on Gun Trader a few Winchester Model 70 {Shadow} for sale at very reasonable prices, I’m assuming there very cheap for a reason. Other than a shotgun I owned many years ago I have very little knowledge of Winchester.

Any advice or thought on the calibre and the above mentioned rifle would be well received.

Regards,

CADEX

30-06 will do everything it says on the box.

Hi
    I have a 30-06 Sako Finnlite. I love it especially for Reds, I have shot huge Galloway Stags and also Hill Stags with no problems at all. Overall a very good caliber.

Dalkur

30-06 is a fine 30cal round.

I like winchester 70s, but the Shadow is definately built to a price and that price isn't much! Look for the Extreme Weather, Coyote or even featherweight.

The .30-06 has a reputation both here and abroad for being a very capable cartridge. It's about as big as it gets without going for a big boomer magnum cartridge and will handle anything in the UK and most things outside of it with ease. If I could only have one Deer rifle for use here and also when I go to Canada or eventually get around to shooting some Pigs, I think the .30-06 would be a serious contender. It has a huge following in the states where the Deer are quite big and tough and some quarry can bite back.

.30 Springfield is an all time classic. Strictly speaking the 30-06 is the .30 Springfield but with a 150grain bullet loaded to 2700fps. Broken down it's the .30 calibre cartridge adopted in 1906. The army who developed it only used the 150 grain bullet until later when for long range staffing with machine guns a heavier boat tailed bullet was adopted but not kept of too long as it caused trouble in training rifle men due tot eh heavier recoil and it also proved to long ranged for a lot of the old ranges so they went back to the 150 grain bullet. So loaded with anything but the US Armies 150 grain spitzer bullet the cartridge is not the 30-06

Oh and please bear in mind if you wish to use it in France or Spain they don't allow military calibres/cartridges.

i got a browning x bolt in .30 06, great piece of kit, knock down power is great you wont be dissapointed

[QUOTE=Brithunter;134164].30 Springfield is an all time classic. Strictly speaking the 30-06 is the .30 Springfield but with a 150grain bullet loaded to 2700fps. Broken down it's the .30 calibre cartridge adopted in 1906. The army who developed it only used the 150 grain bullet until later when for long range staffing with machine guns a heavier boat tailed bullet was adopted but not kept of too long as it caused trouble in training rifle men due tot eh heavier recoil and it also proved to long ranged for a lot of the old ranges so they went back to the 150 grain bullet. So loaded with anything but the US Armies 150 grain spitzer bullet the cartridge is not the 30-06

thanks for the history lesson

Ive used a 30.06 for years now and have taken muntjac and roe with it with minimal meat damage.
    and over here in canada ive shot black bears and big deer and moose with no problems.
    easy to find ammo and the recoil is very manageble
    its one of the most populer rifle cartridge in the world for a reason !!

[QUOTE=conibear;134175]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    .30 Springfield is an all time classic. Strictly speaking the 30-06 is the .30 Springfield but with a 150grain bullet loaded to 2700fps. Broken down it's the .30 calibre cartridge adopted in 1906. The army who developed it only used the 150 grain bullet until later when for long range staffing with machine guns a heavier boat tailed bullet was adopted but not kept of too long as it caused trouble in training rifle men due tot eh heavier recoil and it also proved to long ranged for a lot of the old ranges so they went back to the 150 grain bullet. So loaded with anything but the US Armies 150 grain spitzer bullet the cartridge is not the 30-06

thanks for the history lesson

Ive used a 30.06 for years now and have taken muntjac and roe with it with minimal meat damage.
    and over here in canada ive shot black bears and big deer and moose with no problems.
    easy to find ammo and the recoil is very manageble
    its one of the most populer rifle cartridge in the world for a reason !!

That's OK if you learnt something it was worth the time

Anyway it's almost as good as the cartridge they copied which of course is the 7.92mm Mauser (8x57mm) of course pushed a 154 grn bullet at 2900fps and was adopted with the first Spitzer bullet in 1905.

[QUOTE=Brithunter;134192]
    Quote Originally Posted by conibear View Post

That's OK if you learnt something it was worth the time

Anyway it's almost as good as the cartridge they copied which of course is the 7.92mm Mauser (8x57mm) of course pushed a 154 grn bullet at 2900fps and was adopted with the first Spitzer bullet in 1905.
    thanks again for the history lesson !!

interested to know if you actually have any experiance of this cartridge in the field !!