Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fox: Whats your favoured method?

Fox: Whats your favoured method?

Im sure this has been covered previously but thought Id ask what your preferred method is for shooting Foxes. Do you stick with 1 thing or a mixture. E,g:
    1. Do you walk each field and call for a while then move on to the next field
    2. Bait an area and wait for extended periods until the fox comes to you
    3. Do you use electronic callers (if so which call works best for you)
    4. Rely on hand squeaking or WAM type callers
    5. Have you tried the method of tying a string to a dead rabbit or similar bait to the battery of a small alarm clock to determine the time of visit by said fox. Any success with determining a pattern.
    6. Lamp colours, any joy with greens and blues for fox
    7. Any other tricks out there?
    8. Any other good baits out there other than dead bunnies etc. Anyone tried the scents that you can but on the net?
    9. Time of day. Anyone had any joy during the day? Do you find it better late at night or early morning.

Cheers Steve

Account Suspended
    You could try doing it russian style: a hand grenade inside a bunny, pin tied to a tree.

Fox "yum, yum"..................BOOM. Big smiles all round.

Well you not asking much!!!

Normally drive arround and lamp appropriate ground, pick up set of eyes and sort. Use calls occ to bring in fox we have seen.

That keeps us busy but with many thousands of free rage chickens, foxes are never far away.

Always look at freshly cut grass as certain draw as is hay and stubbles.

Occ take one when deer stalking and occassional have to ambush one. if very difficult resort to NV and very silent approach. Rarely use bait or electronic calls.

Up in northumberland similar approach and call them in as fields are huge.

Often it is a movable feast, but helps if you get all your famers and staff and locals to keep you in the picture to local basil activity.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    Well you not asking much!!!

Normally drive arround and lamp appropriate ground, pick up set of eyes and sort. Use calls occ to bring in fox we have seen.

That keeps us busy but with many thousands of free rage chickens, foxes are never far away.

Always look at freshly cut grass as certain draw as is hay and stubbles.

Occ take one when deer stalking and occassional have to ambush one. if very difficult resort to NV and very silent approach. Rarely use bait or electronic calls.

Up in northumberland similar approach and call them in as fields are huge.

Often it is a movable feast, but helps if you get all your famers and staff and locals to keep you in the picture to local basil activity.

D
    Thanks Cyres, yeah cut fields are great at the moment, good if you ahev free range chickens to protect, I ahev one permission with some on but only given permission recently and had one trip out there, not seen any yet. The majority of the land I shoot at is not suitable for driving around the edges (gets cold in the winter!!) so majority is out on foot or in a LUP. Tend to use electronic calls a lot and ahev had some great success (Foxpro).

Quote Originally Posted by stevienicknacks View Post
    I’m sure this has been covered previously but thought I’d ask what your preferred method is for shooting Foxes. Do you stick with 1 thing or a mixture. E,g:
    5. Have you tried the method of tying a string to a dead rabbit or similar bait to the battery of a small alarm clock to determine the time of visit by said fox. Any success with determining a pattern.
    8. Any other good baits out there other than dead bunnies etc. Anyone tried the scents that you can but on the net?
    9. Time of day. Anyone had any joy during the day? Do you find it better late at night or early morning.

Cheers Steve
    Any and all methods to destroy "charlie"
    blue/green are crap for foxes stick to red and amber.

Steve
    I did hear a good story. A rabbit and a bell were hung from the branch of a tree in the garden outside the keeper's upstairs window. When the bell rang, the keeper opened the window and shot the fox. Rgds JCS

I enjoy an evening out with the lamp either on foot or the truck!

but my favorite is calling em in with the foxpro and jack in a box decoy,with my berreta xtrema and 3.5" of bb,s

i always call predators with the wind at my back!
    Last edited by conibear; 09-09-2010 at 20:49.

Quote Originally Posted by stevienicknacks View Post
    I’m sure this has been covered previously but thought I’d ask what your preferred method is for shooting Foxes. Do you stick with 1 thing or a mixture. E,g:

Cheers Steve
    have used and tried all of the above and all have worked to some degree or another, have found that all ways of calling work, some better than others depending on the fox, aways use white or red light, baiting up is a good way to get a lamp shy fox or one which has been shot at before.

CF

I drive about shining the light covering as much ground as possible. Got 25,000 acres to cover

If I bait an are I snare it

Only if Im out at a den

Cant beat the hand

Nope, never tried it

White light all the time

For effective fox control, use snares

dress out the rabbits, sell them to the butcher at a pound a go and use the smelly guts as bait.

My spotlight only seems to work in the dark
    Last edited by Dan Gliballs; 09-09-2010 at 21:14.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Steve
    I did hear a good story. A rabbit and a bell were hung from the branch of a tree in the garden outside the keeper's upstairs window. When the bell rang, the keeper opened the window and shot the fox. Rgds JCS
    Now thats brilliant...If only I had a big enough garden to try it. Nice one