Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When to change brass.

When to change brass.

I am reloading .308 geco brass, for the third or fourth time.I am not using excessive loads, 43 grains of imr4895 pushing a 150 grain nosler bt. All the brass has a slight ring just below the head, on the body.I have checked inside body with a metal coathanger and cannot feel anything unusual where the line is showing.I dont particulary want to wait for a separation, but am unsure how far the brass can be pushed. Is it time for a change of brass? Regards, Ed.
    Last edited by eddie; 09-09-2010 at 16:34.

The ring may well just be the mark left from the re-size die - do you see the same mark on once fired new , then re-sized brass?

If you do, then you could be ok, if you want, section a case and see if the mark coincides with wall thinning.

I tend to get at least 10 re-load from any case - the indicator for me is loosening of primer pockets, if I feel the primer is too easy to seat, the case gets binned.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
    The ring may well just be the mark left from the re-size die - do you see the same mark on once fired new , then re-sized brass?

If you do, then you could be ok, if you want, section a case and see if the mark coincides with wall thinning.

I tend to get at least 10 re-load from any case - the indicator for me is loosening of primer pockets, if I feel the primer is too easy to seat, the case gets binned.
    The federal brass i am using does not have the same pronounced ring. The federal brass has been reloaded the same amount of times. I am only neck sizing. I was told by the rfd that geco was really good brass. I will stick to the side of caution i think, and not use the geco again.I will section one and have a look to see what is going on. Is there a way to safely eject primers from brass so they can be reused?

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    The federal brass i am using does not have the same pronounced ring. The federal brass has been reloaded the same amount of times. I am only neck sizing. I was told by the rfd that geco was really good brass. I will stick to the side of caution i think, and not use the geco again.I will section one and have a look to see what is going on. Is there a way to safely eject primers from brass so they can be reused?
    If you are genuinely worried about the cases that you have preped then just run them through your rifle, fire off the primers and bin them. Personally, I think you are looking for problems. I have no idea how often many of my cases have been used, I just inspect them each time and use or bin them accordingly. JC

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    If you are genuinely worried about the cases that you have preped then just run them through your rifle, fire off the primers and bin them. Personally, I think you are looking for problems. I have no idea how often many of my cases have been used, I just inspect them each time and use or bin them accordingly. JC
    I am not looking for problems,i am being cautious. I have noticed what could be a potential problem, and i am trying to address it through input from yourselves. What i do know is a shiny ring around the body of the brass could be a sign of weakening, with potential for head separation. Or, there may be some other viable explanation for it as redmist has pointed out. Regards, Ed.

I am reloading .308 geco brass, for the third or fourth time.I am not using excessive loads, 43 grains of imr4895 pushing a 150 grain nosler bt. All the brass has a slight ring just below the head, on the body.I have checked inside body with a metal coathanger and cannot feel anything unusual where the line is showing.I dont particulary want to wait for a separation, but am unsure how far the brass can be pushed. Is it time for a change of brass? Regards, Ed.
    Ed. No. Rgds JCS

I am not looking for problems,i am being cautious. I have noticed what could be a potential problem, and i am trying to address it through input from yourselves. What i do know is a shiny ring around the body of the brass could be a sign of weakening, with potential for head separation. Or, there may be some other viable explanation for it as redmist has pointed out. Regards, Ed.
    Fair enough mate, you are right to be cautious, its you thats going to be using them. JC

Ed. You could do a simple trial. Mark and load one case. Fire it the next time you are out. Reload it, fire it again and see how many reloadings you get out of it. A friend got over 20 loadings out of a specific case that he fired every time he practised. Rgds JCS

Have you tried the paper clip test?

Just open up a paper clip and use it to run up the inside of the case. If you can feel a difference then it is time to bin the cases. You can also simply cut a case open to look for excessive thinning.

While I generally get at least 8-10 reloads out of a full length sized case my motto is; If In doubt -out.

Is this the same brass you were/are getting hard bolt lift from?~Muir