Anyone know if this is TB?

I think you’ve done the right thing asking for advice and you’ve got it, it’s also worth thinking about wearing gloves as cross contamination can go both ways, if you posted a pic and everyone said yep that looks like Tb & the vet confirms it you may however unlikely end up with a cough too.

So it seems dsc doesn't teach you everything..... interesting ....
A course that taught you everything might take a while to deliver jimbo? Can you imagine how many instructors you would need and how much it would cost. Can't imagine that too many people would enrol on that course can you? I suspect that the content might be beyond most of us too, don't you?:doh:

A course that taught you everything might take a while to deliver jimbo? Can you imagine how many instructors you would need and how much it would cost. Can't imagine that too many people would enrol on that course can you? I suspect that the content might be beyond most of us too, don't you?:doh:
Oh absolutely however the way it's waved about by many of the instant experts on here would make you think it's the be all and end all

Oh absolutely however the way it's waved about by many of the instant experts on here would make you think it's the be all and end all
I am yet to see anyone waive a bit of paper around for a course that claims to have taught them everything jimbo. What would they call it? The Fount of All Knowledge Certficate perhaps? You really need to get over this thing you have about claiming that a course teaches anyone everything. It's only you who ever claims that and is all a bit silly.

I am yet to see anyone waive a bit of paper around for a course that claims to have taught them everything jimbo. What would they call it? The Fount of All Knowledge Certficate perhaps? You really need to get over this thing you have about claiming that a course teaches anyone everything. It's only you who ever claims that and is all a bit silly.
Well I've met quite a few waving their " qualification " around like they know it all .... much just be me eh ....

Thank you for your comments, it's useful to get a second opinion. The plucks have been inspected by a VET this morning and were all quite normal.

Ive completed the DSC1 however more training required!!

There's always something new to learn mate, but at least you are checking what you shoot and should be commended for that.
Don't ever invite me over for liver & onions though!:D
MS

So it seems dsc doesn't teach you everything..... interesting ....
The DSC 1 is purely theory, and although it does cover deer biology and anatomy to some extent, it is generally delivered by means of a video gralloch.
DSC 1 candidates should go away with the basic knowledge of what is the minimum inspection required of the lymphatic system, and just as important, who to inform if they suspect a problem.
The main indicators are the Retropharangeal, sub-maxilliary and mesenteric glands.
However, the OP, having done his DSC 1 has seen fit to inspect the entire carcass and found something that he is uncertain of and has asked a valid question. He should be commended for this as there is no such thing as a stupid question.
I have pointed to the spleen and asked DSC 2 candidates what it is and its function. Some knew and some didn't, but it is not deemed as essential knowledge even for the purposes of DSC 2.
I would suspect that several people (including the OP) have gained more knowledge from this thread which is a bonus and one of the main benefits of a site such as this. We can all learn something new, but only if we are willing to learn.
MS

Last edited:
The DSC 1 is purely theory, and although it does cover deer biology and anatomy to some extent, it is generally delivered by means of a video gralloch.
DSC 1 candidates should go away with the basic knowledge of what is the minimum inspection required of the lymphatic system, and just as important, who to inform if they suspect a problem.
The main indicators are the Retropharangeal, sub-maxilliary and mesenteric glands.
However, the OP, having done his DSC 1 has seen fit to inspect the entire carcass and found something that he is uncertain of and has asked a valid question. He should be commended for this as there is no such thing as a stupid question.
I have pointed to the spleen and asked DSC 2 candidates what it is and its function. Some knew and some didn't, but it is not deemed as essential knowledge even for the purposes of DSC 2.
I would suspect that several people (including the OP) have gained more knowledge from this thread which is a bonus and one of the main benefits of a site such as this. We can all learn something new, but only if we are willing to learn.
MS
A good point well made.

One thing to think about, if your up to your elbows in a suspected TB case maybe it’s time for gloves? It’s not something you want to contract from a small cut on your hands.

One thing to think about, if your up to your elbows in a suspected TB case maybe it’s time for gloves? It’s not something you want to contract from a small cut on your hands.
This is a genuine question, can TB be transferred by blood?
I thought it was airborne?
As MS says above, no such thing as a stupid question.
Like you I always wear gloves, and sleeves.
Cheers
Richard

My understanding that the normal way of catching it is through inhalation of the bacteria however I believe it spreads through the human body in blood so logic would say that you could catch through blood but I'm no doctor

Not my words I found these on a different site but explains well.

There are three ways humans can get bovine tuberculosis:

• * by breathing or inhaling air contaminated with the bacteria after an infected animal or infected person coughs or sneezes very close by. However, cattle owners and TB testers on farms take no precautions when in contact with cattle, wear no masks and do not contract the disease. They do, however, suffer physical injuries because of the high health and safety risks involved with cattle handling

• * by drinking unpasteurised milk from an infected cow or eating raw or undercooked meat from an infected animal.

• * by handling infected meat in the dressing and processing of animal carcasses, especially if hands aren't washed carefully prior to consuming food. There is very little risk that an individual would contract bovine tuberculosis by this method borne out by the fact that even abattoir workers and vets very rarely contract the disease

I have pictures of splenic TB that look just like the OP picture. Glad it was checked by a vet, but personally, I'd have submitted that one.
As to TB infection from blood - not blood, but if there was blood contaminated by an abscess or by cutting into a lymph node, then yes.

Once spent 21 days working in very close quarters 6 hours a day with an expat Brit who caught TB flying out to work (he suspects)...watched him descend from flu like symptoms to coughing up blood to being medivacced. Lots of cough particulates floating around an enclosed space etc.

I wish I knew about Lymph nodes then, no one had a clue whatt was wrong with him until they plugged him in at hospital.

There's always something new to learn mate, but at least you are checking what you shoot and should be commended for that.
Don't ever invite me over for liver & onions though!:DMS

At a DSC course provider in Northumberland, and on a carcass day one of the candidates was asked to indicate the liver (on a a beast being gralloched) he pointed out the spleen, when informed of the correct organ, this chap said words to the effect "**** I'VE BEEN EATING THE SPLEEN FOR YEARS"

Ooooh...Ooooh

Patrick

+1 TB is a Zoonotic disease so you would be advisable to wear gloves to avoid infection through cuts.

Back