Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sako L61R

Sako L61R

Seen one of these for a very good price and was wondering how they stack up against a Sako 75 or a Tikka 595 / 695

Dan

Should be a "Finnbear", excellent older rifle if in good nick.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

It's probably a lot better than the new one. Of course that will depend on use and how it was kept. If maintained well and not abused a much better buy that the new jobbies. Have a couple of friends in the US who collect the older Sako's.

Very well made rifle, I used to have one in .270 which I should have kept!

I am fortunate in having retained mine! second choice would be an M595, (I also have one of these in .223)
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Account Suspended
    Really an L61R or an AV?

I've two AVs, one very early (early 80's) and one later (mid 90's) and I like them both... a lot. They were both sold to me as "L61R Finnbears", neither of them strictly is tho'.

Well this one is clearly marked:-

On the left alongside my BSA CF2 in 7x57

That one should give the game away. It belongs to a friend in the US and is a .300 Win mag.

Account Suspended
    Hi BH, certainly can't argue with yours, it looks like the original "square-section, forearm" stock too... and I always like to see an old CF2. My first deer rifle was an almost identical CF2, in .243win and it was a very stylish gun, for not much money, I recall. Do you think the original L61R is better than the AV's?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    Really an L61R or an AV?

I've two AVs, one very early (early 80's) and one later (mid 90's) and I like them both... a lot. They were both sold to me as "L61R Finnbears", neither of them strictly is tho'.
    During the 1980s (1987), Sako started using the AI/AII/AV designations (previously used for models imported to the US) for the three action lengths in Europe.
    The complete rifles were still designated L461/L579/L61.
    The bolt was given a slight cosmetic makeover, with the hammer covered by a conical shell
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    During the 1980s (1987), Sako started using the AI/AII/AV designations (previously used for models imported to the US) for the three action lengths in Europe. The bolt was given a slight cosmetic makeover, with the hammer covered by a conical shell
    All this techno jargon... "hammer" is that the rear protrusion, from the bolt, of the firing pin assembly?

Certainly, mine do have the shrouds.... and rounded fore-end treatment.