what does everyonr think of this ???

smudge262

hi all
i am new to this site but i thought i would let everybody know about my little problem with my firearms department. seven weeks ago i had a small bleed on my brain and was admitted to hospital. while i was in hospital my flo popped around to my house to see me but was informed by my partner of my situation . the feo then asked my partner for the keys to my gun cabinate so he could remove my guns from the premises as i was going to bb away for an extended period of time and no firearms certificate holder would be at the address . as my partner did not know where my keys were kept she could not give them to him ! i phoned the flo and explained to him that i would be home in two or three days time and had allready made arangements with my rfd friend . i was out of hospital one day when the head of the firearms department called me to ask me some questions about my well being and to tell me he had spoken to my doctor about my condition and was not overly worried. while i was in hospital i spoke with my consultant about the firearms department who advised me that there is no reason for them to revoke my certificate as i am no different now than before my bleed he also advised me to give feo his address and to send him a letter asking questions regarding my condition . i passed this on to the head of the firearms department who was quite happy with this and would send a letter just to make sure. Today i got a call from my flo stating that they wanted me to surrender my firearms certificate as i was no longer medically fit ! (i will get it back when am better ) they had spoken to my gp today and this was his opinion along with the chief inspector ! i explained to him about speeking to the head of the department weeks ago but there was no note of this in my file and he is on holiday ! i was told not to worry and dont bother getting rid of my guns just yet !! now i have no idea where i stand and have another couple of worring weeks till the head of the department comes back ! is this the normal way of firearms departments

My first thought is medical in confidence, your GP cannot discuss your condition with anyone without your prior consent. It doesnt matter if you have allready signed a waiver for the issue of your certificate, that consent is only applicable to that event. I would firstly have a very strong word with your GP and remind him of the patient-doctor privilige.

Just a first thought.

thanks lw_norfolk
i have been reading the medical guidelines this evening and i will be making an appointment to see my doctor on monday morning ! doctors can only answer direct qustions which are factual and cannot comment on someones future fitness

Hope you are on the mend. Relax and have a good rest. When your licensing manager comes back off holiday, arrange a meet. Why was the flo visiting you in the first place? if you dont mind me asking.

eddie
i was only granted my shot gun and fire arms this year the only condition on my cert was they would check up on me after six months ! six months fell bang on my vist to the hospital ! chances are they would never have known anything about it until my next renewal if my partner had not told him ! the flo i deal with is normally one of the good ones (until he told my partner he would have to take my guns cos i was out of the house for an extended period of time and it was illegal to keep them there when there is no cert holder there ! ) he is an ex copper along with the head of firearms ! i am very well mended and was very relaxed till i got that phone call this morning !

eddie
i was only granted my shot gun and fire arms this year the only condition on my cert was they would check up on me after six months ! six months fell bang on my vist to the hospital ! chances are they would never have known anything about it until my next renewal if my partner had not told him ! the flo i deal with is normally one of the good ones (until he told my partner he would have to take my guns cos i was out of the house for an extended period of time and it was
illegal to keep them there when there is no cert holder there !
) he is an ex copper along with the head of firearms ! i am very well mended and was very relaxed till i got that phone call this morning !
There they go with that good old fairy dust again!:rolleyes:

i also heard from a few guys that a few of the local forces have been told to cut down certs by 10% i might just be an easy target for them

eddie
i was only granted my shot gun and fire arms this year the only condition on my cert was they would check up on me after six months ! six months fell bang on my vist to the hospital ! chances are they would never have known anything about it until my next renewal if my partner had not told him ! the flo i deal with is normally one of the good ones (until he told my partner he would have to take my guns cos i was out of the house for an extended period of time and it was illegal to keep them there when there is no cert holder there ! ) he is an ex copper along with the head of firearms ! i am very well mended and was very relaxed till i got that phone call this morning !
Just relax smudge, dont worry. I have always found the police to be very fair, patience is the key here smudge.

finnbear270
i found that quite amusing to ! so you cant go on holiday without storing your guns with an rfd or putting them in the care of the police !!

LW_NORFOLK I think you'll find that the firearms department can contact a GP if they have reason to do so at any time during the life of a certificate and not simply at the time of issue ( Guideline 10.24 ) and this is also applicable in the case of a shotgun certificate ( Guideline 11.12 ). The thing here is having a good reason which under the circumstances they had but the doctor would have told them the facts and nothing more,he may have added something about the condition in his opinion having no bearing on Smudge262's continued suitability as a certificate holder but he wouldn't/shouldn't have been asked for an opinion on this. Based on the circumstances as shown above I would have been very surprised at any great concern and even more surprised at a straight request for a surrender. As for the mention of no need for a revocation this is a last resort to revoke a certificate,if there had been any concern I would have thought that after the guns being stored elsewhere and then an interview which found concerns the certificate holder would have been asked to voluntarily surrender with a view to a fresh application at a later date.

Smudge262 you mention stories from a few guys about local forces trying to cut certificate holders by 10%......what local forces would that be then

Smudge262 you mention stories from a few guys about local forces trying to cut certificate holders by 10%......what local forces would that be then

well its not your neighbours policy (lothian borders)
our feo is happy to get them out to people who want them.

cantralbeltstalker it's not Strathclydes either and I should know,I'm a serving cop and a full time FEO

apparently fife and tayside ! this did came from a good source but like everything must be taken with a pinch of salt

1873gus all i was told this morning was that my feo had spoken to my doctor and the chief inspector and deciced that my best choice was to get rid of my guns and surrender my cert (the phone call was a heads up to allow me time to get my guns in to safe keeping ) when i explained to him that i had been discussing the mqatter with his boss he said there was no record of this in my file and to hold on to my guns and not to worry he would be baqck in touch when the head of firearms comes back from holiday

hope it all works out,as you have said the consultant said you have returned to fitness I don't see anything from that to cause concern...is it possible some other information has been divulged when requested ??
As for the reduction of 10% I wouldn't so much take that with a pinch of salt as ignore it completely.

Back