Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lube.

Lube.

what sort of lube does everyone use to resize cases. Does it have to be a propriety brand or can you use something else ie, WD40 Silicon spray etc.
    Ian.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderinstar View Post
    what sort of lube does everyone use to resize cases. Does it have to be a propriety brand or can you use something else ie, WD40 Silicon spray etc.
    Ian.
    Lanolin, graphite and molybdenum based lubes are the ones most commonly available from different makers. Best to stick with formulas sold specifically for reloaders. Please DON'T use WD40 or any petroleum based lubes... They can cause problems with ignition and pressures in you gun.

For the last thirty odd years I've been using plain old vaseline as used on car battery terminals not the posh stuff used on babies bums
    I had a lube pad and tube of proper lube once but when it ran out I had some vaseline (as used on car batteries) to hand so used that and have used it ever since.
    After sizing, I put my brass in a cut-off track suit (cotton) sleeve and hold each end and give the brass a good shaking back and forth to get any spare lube off and it gives it a final polish too
    I have read posts where people are warned, upon pain of death, not to use vaseline as it degrades the brass, but I find the number of reloads (lots) degrade the brass long before any chemical reaction affects it.

STP get it from Halfords or any motor factor,its the same as RCBS lube.

Account Suspended
    I can't see why you wouldn't just use a proprietry, "branded", purpose-manufactured, reloading lube.. It's not like they cost much or get used up at a huge rate. But.... if all you guys that want to use other stuff have never killed yourself (even once) or had a batch of dud ammo... Who am I to question your choice?

"This is a public information broadcast, and we would wish it known that other options do exist"... :-)

I think the tube of purpose manufactured branded lube probably lasted the best part of ten years but when it ran out I used what I had to hand and couldn't see any point in putting myself out to go and look for something else when what I had to hand was adequate.
    Apart from that, tag a 'Gun', 'Sport' or any other branded label on it and it costs the earth so why bother.
    I have heard from Experts that to use anything other than the 'correct' lube, your brass will, soften. stiffen, split, crack, and alsorts of other nasties.
    Perhaps I have been so close to nasties and not realised it, but one day maybe

Account Suspended
    Hi there EMcC. My 2oz squeezy bottle of Hornady case lube is almost gone after loading only 3000 rounds (give or take) it cost about 3.50 to buy, if I recall correctly. I see the new equivalent costs something mental like eleven quid for an 8oz spray can. If vaseline works for you, that's nice
    I've actually looked back through your posts and see you are a keen wild-boar shootist, brilliant, I might actually meet you some day. I'll have some absorbent dressing and bandages in my back-pack, if you're at the next stand they may just come in handy
    Last edited by Tamus; 11-09-2010 at 12:46.

"I've actually looked back through your posts and see you are a keen wild-boar shootist, brilliant, I might actually meet you some day. I'll have some absorbent dressing and bandages in my back-pack, if you're at the next stand they may just come in handy "

At my age, I'll not put up much of a fight so I'll need more than absorbent dressing and bandages unless it's a little piggy, then I might consider fixed bayonets

Account Suspended
    [QUOTE=EMcC;134957 At my age, I'll not put up much of a fight so I'll need more than absorbent dressing and bandages unless it's a little piggy, then I might consider fixed bayonets [/QUOTE]

Are we talking pampers or a stiff scotch here?

Some of them are bigger and uglier than I, so I reckon Pampers might be needed unless of course all of my brass held up after so many incorrect lubings and I managed to get a shot or two off, then I think the order of the day might be a rather large scotch