Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DSC 1 Should there be more content

DSC 1 Should there be more content

First let me say I am new to stalking (1 1/2 years 30 animals) and have just completed my DSC1, which was very worthwhile and enjoyable.
    I do however, having completed the course, wonder if it provides what some might expect or all that a new stalker might need. I understood that the purpose was to equip someone new or with relatively limited experience, all that they need to go out to successfully stalk deer.

According to BDS:- DSC1 provides a comprehensive guide to deer stalking techniques and management. The DSC1 is the foundation of deer skills development.
    It does that by testing:- General Knowledge of the 6 species of deer found in Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Deer legislation
    Ballistics
    Deer identification
    Safety
    Shooting
    Large Game Trained Hunter knowledge of the inspection of carcasses and the legal requirements

Whilst I accept that all of the examined content, as listed, forms part of the skill set that I need as a new stalker, there appears to me to be a gap between the knowledge imparted and the course objectives, of stalking technique and management. Whilst the course is certainly 'a foundation of deer skills development' there are elements that I might expect in the course that are not taught.

For example.
    1.The elements for making a successful stalk; Wind direction, land assessment, likely locations, equipment list, shooting aid's.
    2. Carcass management; how to undertake a gralloch in order to inspect the carcass, extraction and removal, equipment list, knife selection.
    3. Management, Over shooting, disturbance, cull targets, management plans.

Am I expecting too much, or have I missed something?

Quote Originally Posted by oowee View Post
    First let me say I am new to stalking (1 1/2 years 30 animals) and have just completed my DSC1, which was very worthwhile and enjoyable.
    I do however, having completed the course, wonder if it provides what some might expect or all that a new stalker might need. I understood that the purpose was to equip someone new or with relatively limited experience, all that they need to go out to successfully stalk deer.

According to BDS:- DSC1 provides a comprehensive guide to deer stalking techniques and management. The DSC1 is the foundation of deer skills development.
    It does that by testing:- General Knowledge of the 6 species of deer found in Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Deer legislation
    Ballistics
    Deer identification
    Safety
    Shooting
    Large Game Trained Hunter – knowledge of the inspection of carcasses and the legal requirements

Whilst I accept that all of the examined content, as listed, forms part of the skill set that I need as a new stalker, there appears to me to be a gap between the knowledge imparted and the course objectives, of stalking technique and management. Whilst the course is certainly 'a foundation of deer skills development' there are elements that I might expect in the course that are not taught.

For example.
    1.The elements for making a successful stalk; Wind direction, land assessment, likely locations, equipment list, shooting aid's.
    2. Carcass management; how to undertake a gralloch in order to inspect the carcass, extraction and removal, equipment list, knife selection.

Far to much info for people to take in over 2/3 days.

I taught diving for many years, the people who I taught in the UK over 5 weeks class and pool faired much better than ones who had learnt over a weekend.

Also a lot of people don't do very well in the class room as it might be their first time back in 20/30/40 years.

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

IMO it should also inc .
    A look see and smell and understand how to deal with the deer once all your knowledge and that bit of paper has led you to a stalk and acted on now you are face to face with the deer that you have just shot , or even just what to do once the shot has been taken .. as not all have ever shot a rifle at something live let alone understand how to chop one up .

I don't think you're far wrong, there was a similar 'list' I had made up after DSC 1. However, I think that it has to be as short as it is to find the balance between getting people to actually get on it (time commitment) and not be more expensive than it is (financial commitment). In my opinion it serves a good purpose in gettjng someone taught and assessed the very basics and predominantly theory. This is a good base and I think that there is an opportunity for an inbetween course - though others may argue that this is filled by actual stalking!

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    IMO it should also inc .
    A look see and smell and understand how to deal with the deer once all your knowledge and that bit of paper has led you to a stalk and acted on now you are face to face with the deer that you have just shot , or even just what to do once the shot has been taken .. as not all have ever shot a rifle at something live let alone understand how to chop one up .

Paul, how long before the font of all things DSC1 turns up? lol

Tim.243
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....

Waiting with baited breath.
    Just to get in first there is a lot in the course that could come out to make it more practical. Tell me about stalking, what to do when it's on the ground. What law I need to know.
    Maybe i don't need to learn closed seasons, identification, history. These are all useful but things that maybe i get sorted for the species I go to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by oowee View Post
    ... Whilst the course is certainly 'a foundation of deer skills development' there are elements that I might expect in the course that are not taught.

For example.

I did my DSC1 with BDS. That course contained elements of all three items you list as being omitted from the syllabus. I agree content was not exhaustive, but in addition to theoretic high-seat and stalking scenarios, there was a simulated walk and stalk with appropriate questions around backstop, cover, wind. Also the presenter performed a gralloch on a deer shot earlier that morning with detailed info and pauses for all to review the objects making up the teaching points. Not sure if we just lucked in with that presenter, but it was more thorough than you describe.

All the points you have highlighted ARE indeed covered within the BDS Dsc level 1 course, which makes for quite an intense course but one that delivers on EVERY level you have mentioned and more.
    Marketplace competition has forced this into a 3 day course rather than the original 4 day course which I guess has led to SOME providers possibly not covering ALL aspects????
    I feel that the BDS still offers the best DSC level 1 course currently available .

I think that the shooting test should be expanded to include shots from a highseat.

are you aware that there is a DSC2?