Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pesky birds of prey

Pesky birds of prey

Just finished our second partridge day of the season and today saw 2 kites,4 buzzards and 2 sparrow hawks hanging about one of our main drives,What chance have you got.
    Trying to get birds over the guns is getting harder and harder,something has to be done,these" hookies" are getting out of control.How we managed to end up with a bag of 112 is beyond me.
    ATB John

you ended with a bag of 112; I cant see the problem??

Dave

Nor me mate live and let live managment needs to included birds of prey IMO

God what an awful day you must have had, Just think, without the presence of those evil predators (well, scavengers mainly in the case of two of the three spp) you might have got 120.

JC

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by J DAVISON View Post
    Just finished our second partridge day of the season and today saw 2 kites,4 buzzards and 2 sparrow hawks hanging about one of our main drives,What chance have you got.
    Trying to get birds over the guns is getting harder and harder,something has to be done,these" hookies" are getting out of control.How we managed to end up with a bag of 112 is beyond me.
    ATB John
    I don't know your ground so I can't comment on the size of the bag, but I know exactly what you mean about difficulty in presenting a "sporting" bird. If high bags are the result of low, slow, birds (all trying to stay hidden from raptors) it makes for a less than satisfactory experience. I've known some guns, on some shoots, to excuse themselves at lunch time if the birds won't fly. Always an uncomfortable situation, but preferable to the inexperienced gun who thinks he's making hay while the sun shines.

Account Suspended
    JC, you have let yourself down here.

Got to sympathise with J Davison. When blood and sweat have gone into a summer of rearing then tears follow when poults are killed or partridge driven off the ground through harassment. There's nothing we can do about but taking the p!ss ain't big or clever and it certainly doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowey View Post
    Got to sympathise with J Davison. When blood and sweat have gone into a summer of rearing then tears follow when poults are killed or partridge driven off the ground through harassment. There's nothing we can do about but taking the p!ss ain't big or clever and it certainly doesn't help.
    +1 here,
    If you run a shoot in any capacity its not just the damage done by these birds killing, its them just been there in large numbers which "spook" birds off the ground.
    And anyone who thinks buzzards eat primarily carrion needs to wake up.
    Poults ARE the easy n0.1 food source many turn to in the summer.
    Also look at it like this... How many crows did you used to have, I bet always had as many, now buzzards are far more popular then they were, Where has all this extra carrion come from to feed them?? if it was there already why not more crows??
    Were agreed they actively feed on live rabbits, poults don't even RUN.
    Last edited by www.yorkshireroestalking.; 13-09-2010 at 09:24.

IMO the problem seem to be the fact that protection measures are put in place and numbers rocket but then there isnt a review to allow a certain level to be maintained, it just spirals.

At home when i was much younger there were the odd buzzard about but now you can see 8 or 9 circling together in a small area and then more elsewhere. They just hammer partridges and pheasants up against fences, the neighbouring estate has even taken out the fences on some drives to try and combat this.

Same with badgers, the protection has allowed numbers to rocket and now you see them everywhere but the rules are nto being reviewed to reflect this

If numbers were allowed to build up but then a sensible management plan was put in place then im sure there would be less people taking it into their own hands

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    JC, you have let yourself down here.
    Why?

Sorry, but I find the title of the original post offensive and the inference in some of the replies that we should be doing something about it offensive too.

To be honest, we are lucky to be able to shoot partridges at all, French partridges are non native and it is a very short step to seeing the release of them banned and English partridges are endangered anyway.

For people involved in partridge shooting to make statements like 'F###ing birds of prey' on an open internet forum makes me think of the phrase 'people who live in glasshouses...etc'.

The simple explanation for the increase in buzzards is the increase in available prey thereby increasing brood suvivability, if you are the one that has put the prey there then what do you expect. I'm not saying don't release or conserve gamebirds but only don't grumble when nature takes its course. A lot of 'keepers like to play God over all they survey but then moan when faced with something that is out of thier control.

I guess you all think that I am naive about the subject because I make these statements but I can assure you, without going into detail, that I am not. Neither am I naive about the level of wildlife crime that goes on in the name of game shooting.

I am well aware that we would have no English partridges in the UK if we couldn't shoot them but all of the good conservation work done by 'keepers is completely wasted everytime one idiot breaks the law.

I also think that alot of people don't realise how much the policing of wildlife crimes has advanced in the last few years, this may not, sadly, result in a big increase in convictions but it does result in alot of inteligence being gathered. Inteligence like this thread for example?

JC
    Last edited by JC275; 13-09-2010 at 10:42.