Thread: metal bullet, bolt box lockerble for airline travel

metal bullet, bolt box lockerble for airline travel

i am in need of a metal ammo box airline approved for about 60 bullets and 2 bolts must be lockerble either combo locks or padlock or both preferably can any body help either one to sell or a supplier of these items cheers muddy

I am not sure you need it to be metal, whenever I've traveled to Africa or Europe one of these has been OK. http://www.hunterhut.com/Gun-Guard-D...B0002ILNQA.htm I am sure you'll be able to find a supplier in UK. Also why do you want to separate bolt from rifle? If the rifle arrives and not your ammo you can always buy more ammo but not a new bolt!!

I suggest checking with you airline and get an answer in writing.

regards

PHJLA

Get yourself down to "Staples" or any of the big office supplies outlets. Steel petty cash tin with a lock for about a tenner. I've used one for airline travel several times no problem. I know others from here who have done the same thing with no troubles at check in. Once through check in and security, I would advise wrapping the tin with some packing or electrical insulation tape, just in case some wonkle drops it on the tarmac.

I agree totally with Patrick. In fact on my last two trips I have tucked the bolt out of sight under the foam in the rifle case. It didn't get picked up by security, and I was sure that if my rifle arrived so had the bolt.

Good luck,

Mark.
    Last edited by buckup; 12-09-2010 at 15:52. Reason: Just read Patrick's post re bolts.

I know the rules change from Country to Country and airlines also differ.

I recently travelled here to Norway with Wideroe, The rifle with bolt and mod were all together in my aorline approved rifle case. But the ammo of which i had 50 rounds (30.06) was in in 10 round MTM cases and went into my bag that was checked in. The airline people could not have been more pleasant or helpful.
    Likewise the customs people in Norway werereally good within 10 mins i had a temporary Norwegian Certificate. They particuarly liked the European passport and paid little attention to my FAC.

The rifle was handled well and hand carried to me on arrival, hardly a mark on the case which i had just bought.

Full marks to one country for welcoming hunters.

forwarded to me for our trip.
    extract from email regarding ammo and weapons
    It is my understanding that each hunter is allowed 5kg of ammo in a lockable case separate from the rifle. On top of the EU and UK laws each airline often has their own rules. British Airways and Bulgaria Air are good airlines for hunters but I know that some of the budget airlines are difficult about carrying weapons. As an example of this Wizz Air do not allow it at all. Below is an extract from KLM airlines with the EU rules attached.

Kind regards,
    Simon.

Firearms for EU airlines.

Carrying ammunition and firearms in hand baggage is not permitted. You may carry such items for shooting and hunting purposes as check-in baggage under certain strict conditions.
    Regulations for ammunition and firearms according to the weight concept
    If you wish to take more baggage than the maximum allowance, the regular excess baggage fees apply.
    Regulations for ammunition and firearms according to the piece concept
    Each weapon counts as a single item of baggage. If you wish to take more baggage than the maximum allowance, the regular excess baggage fees apply.
    You must also have the following permits in your possession:

• The licenses for the weapons in question.
    • Import and export permits for the countries concerned.

Furthermore, the following rules apply:

• You must make a reservation for travel with firearms and/or ammunition. This can be done through your travel agent or Telephone Reservations.
    • The firearms must be unloaded and safely packed in a suitcase or other case. The cartridges must be packed safely, preferably in a suitcase.
    • Sports and hunting rifles must be transported separately from the ammunition.
    • Ammunition may only be intended for shooting sport and a maximum of 5 kg (11 lbs) of ammunition may be carried per passenger.
    • Baggage containing ammunition may not carry labels with the text ‘explosives’.
    • Transporting ammunition with explosive or flammable projectiles is not permitted.
    • When you check in you should declare that your weapon is unloaded and the ammunition has been packed separately

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    i am in need of a metal ammo box airline approved for about 60 bullets and 2 bolts must be lockerble either combo locks or padlock or both preferably can any body help either one to sell or a supplier of these items cheers muddy
    Hi Muddy, If you go to a Jessops camera shop they have lockable cases with foam inserts which I think were about 30 when I bought mine - no problems with customs/security etc when we went to Sth Africa with SAA, apart from the bribes which were looked for at J'burg and Port Elizabeth airports which had nothing go to do with our gun/ammo cases,
    Regards
    George