First FAC renewal refused - what can be done ?

I very much doubt that anything has happend here other than:
1. the FLD has come to the conclusion that the applicant no longer has a 'good reason', and
2. the visiting FLO was entirely persuaded of the truth of that position when he went to see the applicant.

Under those circumstances, one can see why a FLO might be quite opinionated about he wisdom of surrendering one's FAC. I know that it is stated that the applicant denied the absence of 'good reason' - but I suspect that FLOs are on their guard against applicants misrepresenting circumstances to their own advantage; and if the FLO was absolutly certain that his own intelligence was correct, it would have been difficult to change his mind. I can imagine that such an exchange might well get a bit chippy - possibly on both sides.

As has been stated, the applicant needs to write to the FLD Manager in the very near future. In that letter, it might be best to stick to facts about the grounds where he has permission to shoot, and his frequency of use of the rifle - and if possible to include supporting evidence of some sort.

Really? Someone in such a position dishonest? Almost like Dr's being beyond culpability for firearms offences :gheyfight:

When local bobby used do the visit, we had one come beating. He used to boast about how he used to tear up application forms in front of the applicant, often on the doorstep. He himself had shooting on 21 farms!!

When local bobby used do the visit, we had one come beating. He used to boast about how he used to tear up application forms in front of the applicant, often on the doorstep. He himself had shooting on 21 farms!!

Sounds like a thoroughly despicable type, hope he never made any advancements in rank.

He needs written permissions. I think the HO guidance is clear enough on that.

Also, I'm afraid if he isn't a member of a shooting organisation, he is something of a mug in my view.

(You can't join an organisation when you need them - if we use a the analogy of car insurance: If your buddy joins now, it's the equivalent of trying to get car insurance after he has had the crash).

Sorry to be harsh.

Scrummy

Sounds like a thoroughly despicable type, hope he never made any advancements in rank.

The last I heard, he was driving the Armed Response Vehicle. Even fellow plod referred to him as 'Machine gun *******'. He must be retired now.

So, I got an angry call from a friend a couple of weeks ago.

A very grouchy firearms chap visited him to discuss his impending renewal

Seemingly the chap was very short, bordering on rude, and he was also quite 'overbearing'

With all respect .30-06 you weren't there so you only have your friend's word on the interview. It could simply have been a clash of personalities, this does happen occasionally.

So, to refute what this FEO states, get your pal to go to your permissions and get, in writing, that permission (I'm guessing he didn't do that when sending off his renewal), outlining in detail what it's for (vermin control) and how long the permission has been held and that no problems have been experienced. Head the letter with the landowner's details and contact numbers. Explain that enquiries have to be either in writing or in person with him due to hearing issues. He might like to have this already typed out before he goes, that can save time. Then make a list of his last visits with his gun as far back as he can recall for vermin control.

With a covering letter, send these to the person that has written to you and copy it to the Chief Constable. Note in the letter that a copy has gone to him/her. Explain that you cannot understand the attitude of the FEO in wanting to recommend the certificate is not renewed and state that all requirements are being met.

HOWEVER it is possible that your pal is being a wee bit economic with the truth. There may well be circumstances of which you are unaware. A drink driving conviction, some drunkenness arrests or perhaps some domestic troubles, or some dishonesty perhaps, or maybe even some dodgy answers when filling in the application form. Or something else. All of which could have a bearing on the police's decision to deny his application. Remember, you only really have your pal's side of things. Not saying he's a liar, but there are always two sides to a story and it seems a bit strange if nothing has changed for this to suddenly happen.

Thanks again for the collective input everyone :)

To be clear, there are no medical reasons and no legal reasons underlying this.

My friend has written several emails back and forth including permission documents from two large farms close to his home (one of which was cited when he first applied for his FAC, and was granted it).

They have replied several times with variations on the theme of 'no', including reasons of:

1. only using the rifle once in the last five years (no idea where or how they arrived at that conclusion - the visiting officer was told on the day that the gun had been used as recently as a couple of weeks previously, and that it is used frequently, if not 'often')
2. the rifle's unsuitability for foxes :eek: - nobody ever mentioned foxes until now; unless the term 'vermin' automatically includes foxes, even when discussing unsuitable calibres, this is new news. The rifle was always intended for rabbits, pigeons, rats and corvids, with never the mention of fox (obviously).
3. not a member of a gun club - he wasn't when he first applied (and was granted) his ticket, which was always requested purely for vermin/pest shooting on local farmland
4. that he has other non-FAC air rifles that he could use for vermin control - again, this is new news because he does not own any other air rifles. He does have a C02 air pistol that he does some target shooting with, but no other air rifles.

So, yes, I was not present on the day and I don't pretend to know all of the facts, but no single solid reason seems to have been provided for the refusal (in fact, it has changed several times in as many emails and letters) and despite supplying two local farm permissions as reason to renew for FAC air, one of which was used in first granting it, he has been told no.

I'm best off out of it...

:doh: That will be at an EXTRA cost then fighting is not for free around £2.5-5k and joining now will be like the old saying " Horse Stable door ect bla bla . be better looking at his house insurance and see if he has legal insurance and hire Peter G, or another Firearms team direct .

Q(
If he's a member of basc then they ought to be fighting this on his behalf.
) End :popcorn:

Back