Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spotted a nice Parker Hale today.

Spotted a nice Parker Hale today.

Ok. Not an unusual occurrence in your neck of the woods but here it's an odd duck. The stock had a dull finished walnut with rosewood foreend and grip caps and inlaid rosewood in the foreend's underside. The recoil was was red rubber and marked as PH. The rifle sported it's irons, including the front sight hood and was in 99% condition. It didn't look as though it had been shot more than one or two rounds. The caliber was 6mm Remington. (which explains the lack of use: kind of an odd cousin to the 243 in many people's thinking) The price was $550 but it probably could have been had for $350 - $375. Nice rifle, for sure....~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 12-09-2010 at 01:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Ok. Not an unusual occurrence in your neck of the woods but here it's an odd duck. The stock had a dull finished walnut with rosewood foreend and grip caps and inlaid rosewood in the foreend's underside. The recoil was was red rubber and marked as PH. The rifle sported it's irons, including the front sight hood and was in 99% condition. It didn't look as though it had been shot more than one or two rounds. The caliber was 6mm Remington. (which explains the lack of use: kind of an odd cousin to the 243 in many people's thinking) The price was $550 but it probably could have been had for $350 - $375. Nice rifle, for sure....~Muir
    funny you should mention that calibre ,the manager of my local gun store just came back from guiding his 13 year old cousin who was using a 6mm rem on a elk hunt, and the young fella shot a fine bull at 15 yards called in.
    he said the 100 gr nosler partion vapourised its lungs and it died within 20 yards
    he said he had chronagraphed the cartridge at 3100fps
    he estimated the bulls weight at 600# dressed out

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Nice find so when is it coming home?

Now does it look like this:-

If so as the tag says it's the 1200 Super. THis nex one os the 1200V:-

Heavy barrel Varmint rifle and wouldn't you know it this on just happens to be 6 mm Remington The Super has the oiled finish stock the vamint the high gloss varnished stock and oh yes befores someone points it out yes a previous owner had changed the recoil pad and not fitted it correctly tot eh rifle. The pad is now gone and the 1200V has a slimmer pad to reduce the LOP ofr me. Fitted correctly of course .

Quote Originally Posted by conibear View Post
    funny you should mention that calibre ,the manager of my local gun store just came back from guiding his 13 year old cousin who was using a 6mm rem on a elk hunt, and the young fella shot a fine bull at 15 yards called in.
    he said the 100 gr nosler partion vapourised its lungs and it died within 20 yards
    he said he had chronagraphed the cartridge at 3100fps
    he estimated the bulls weight at 600# dressed out
    Wouldn't be my choice of an elk cartridge but if it gets the job done, great! Of course, I've hunter elk with a 30-40 Krag loaded with 200 grain cast bullets so.....~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Nice find so when is it coming home?

Now does it look like this:-

If so as the tag says it's the 1200 Super. THis nex one os the 1200V:-

Heavy barrel Varmint rifle and wouldn't you know it this on just happens to be 6 mm Remington The Super has the oiled finish stock the vamint the high gloss varnished stock and oh yes befores someone points it out yes a previous owner had changed the recoil pad and not fitted it correctly tot eh rifle. The pad is now gone and the 1200V has a slimmer pad to reduce the LOP ofr me. Fitted correctly of course .
    I was wondering if you'd answer to that one, Brit. It looks like the top photo but sans engraved floor plate. I just looked in my reloading room; I have a Lee Classic Loader in 6mm Remington, as well as a set of "generic" (multi cartridge) 6mm neck sizing and seating dies for my bench equipment. Uh-oh....~Muir

Oh the floor plate is embossed not engraved. Die cast alloy. The 1200V has a smooth floor plate.. Now I think I had better drop Jayb a Pm and start a book of this one.

You can hear it calling to you .................................................. ....... Buy me...Buy me

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Oh the floor plate is embossed not engraved. Die cast alloy. The 1200V has a smooth floor plate.. Now I think I had better drop Jayb a Pm and start a book of this one.

You can hear it calling to you .................................................. ....... Buy me...Buy me
    STOP!! The VOICES!! I hear VOICES!!!~Muir

SD Regular
    AFAIK the ONLY PH with a factory fitted red rubber pad was either the M81 Classic or the Ligtweight Stalking Model of the same 1980s period. PH would have done EVERYBODY a real favour if they had put the actual model designation on the rifle as well as in the bl**dy catalogue!

They couldn't do that because they used mainly what was in the parts bins at that time so one model merged into another.
    There's nothing wrong with their rifles, in fact I've had a couple myself, but they never really aimed for the top of the market. Mind you I wouldn't mind picking up a decent M81 classic.

yes I regret not buying the M81 Classic from F.A. Anderson's some years back it was like mint. Instead I brought a Ruger No1B as the prices was only 20 more than the scope it was wearing. New price for the scope that is. I still have that Leupold 2.5-8 Vari X 111 although the Ruger went in a trade some years ago now.

As for pad being changed it seems common practice in the US. The one on my recently acquired 1200TX needs changed as it's gone hard and brittle. It seems this happens in the US as well. My 1200TX has spent time abroad, mainly Germany I understand, as the previous owner was in the forces.. Now I don't know why P-H stopped putting the model name or designation on the rifles the 1200TX is roll marked on the top of the barrel, the old Safari's were engraved or roll marked on the left wall of the action and yes it's frustrating especially when the guntrade in general has no ideal as to what they are selling. I have been looking a rather clean model 1000 P-H but the vendor has it up as a P-H 1200 super Perhaps he will still have it when my funds recover from the two recent purchases............................. somehow I don't think my luck is that good.

Identifying the P-H different models is what started my quest for the P-H catalogues. Still have gaps to fill like the periods 1970- 1976 & 1977- 1986. They also did some 4 page fliers and I have a couple of those which are helpful too.

So Muir have the voices stopped or did you cave in?