Spotted a nice Parker Hale today.

Muir

Ok. Not an unusual occurrence in your neck of the woods but here it's an odd duck. The stock had a dull finished walnut with rosewood foreend and grip caps and inlaid rosewood in the foreend's underside. The recoil was was red rubber and marked as PH. The rifle sported it's irons, including the front sight hood and was in 99% condition. It didn't look as though it had been shot more than one or two rounds. The caliber was 6mm Remington. (which explains the lack of use: kind of an odd cousin to the 243 in many people's thinking) The price was $550 but it probably could have been had for $350 - $375. Nice rifle, for sure....~Muir

Last edited:
Ok. Not an unusual occurrence in your neck of the woods but here it's an odd duck. The stock had a dull finished walnut with rosewood foreend and grip caps and inlaid rosewood in the foreend's underside. The recoil was was red rubber and marked as PH. The rifle sported it's irons, including the front sight hood and was in 99% condition. It didn't look as though it had been shot more than one or two rounds. The caliber was 6mm Remington. (which explains the lack of use: kind of an odd cousin to the 243 in many people's thinking) The price was $550 but it probably could have been had for $350 - $375. Nice rifle, for sure....~Muir

funny you should mention that calibre ,the manager of my local gun store just came back from guiding his 13 year old cousin who was using a 6mm rem on a elk hunt, and the young fella shot a fine bull at 15 yards called in.
he said the 100 gr nosler partion vapourised its lungs and it died within 20 yards
he said he had chronagraphed the cartridge at 3100fps
he estimated the bulls weight at 600# dressed out

Nice find :D so when is it coming home?

Now does it look like this:-

50936949.jpg

31348185.jpg

14284710.jpg

14067377.jpg

If so as the tag says it's the 1200 Super. THis nex one os the 1200V:-

6mmRemP-H1200VLHS.jpg

6mmRemP-H1200VRHS.jpg

Heavy barrel Varmint rifle and wouldn't you know it this on just happens to be 6 mm Remington :D The Super has the oiled finish stock the vamint the high gloss varnished stock and oh yes befores someone points it out yes a previous owner had changed the recoil pad and not fitted it correctly tot eh rifle. The pad is now gone and the 1200V has a slimmer pad to reduce the LOP ofr me. Fitted correctly of course ;).

funny you should mention that calibre ,the manager of my local gun store just came back from guiding his 13 year old cousin who was using a 6mm rem on a elk hunt, and the young fella shot a fine bull at 15 yards called in.
he said the 100 gr nosler partion vapourised its lungs and it died within 20 yards
he said he had chronagraphed the cartridge at 3100fps
he estimated the bulls weight at 600# dressed out

Wouldn't be my choice of an elk cartridge but if it gets the job done, great! Of course, I've hunter elk with a 30-40 Krag loaded with 200 grain cast bullets so.....~Muir

Nice find :D so when is it coming home?

Now does it look like this:-

50936949.jpg

31348185.jpg

14284710.jpg

14067377.jpg

If so as the tag says it's the 1200 Super. THis nex one os the 1200V:-

6mmRemP-H1200VLHS.jpg

6mmRemP-H1200VRHS.jpg

Heavy barrel Varmint rifle and wouldn't you know it this on just happens to be 6 mm Remington :D The Super has the oiled finish stock the vamint the high gloss varnished stock and oh yes befores someone points it out yes a previous owner had changed the recoil pad and not fitted it correctly tot eh rifle. The pad is now gone and the 1200V has a slimmer pad to reduce the LOP ofr me. Fitted correctly of course ;).

I was wondering if you'd answer to that one, Brit. It looks like the top photo but sans engraved floor plate. I just looked in my reloading room; I have a Lee Classic Loader in 6mm Remington, as well as a set of "generic" (multi cartridge) 6mm neck sizing and seating dies for my bench equipment. Uh-oh....:scared:~Muir

:D Oh the floor plate is embossed not engraved. Die cast alloy. The 1200V has a smooth floor plate.. Now I think I had better drop Jayb a Pm and start a book of this one.

You can hear it calling to you ......................................................... Buy me...Buy me :evil:

:D Oh the floor plate is embossed not engraved. Die cast alloy. The 1200V has a smooth floor plate.. Now I think I had better drop Jayb a Pm and start a book of this one.

You can hear it calling to you ......................................................... Buy me...Buy me :evil:

STOP!! The VOICES!! I hear VOICES!!!:cuckoo:~Muir

AFAIK the ONLY PH with a factory fitted red rubber pad was either the M81 Classic or the Ligtweight Stalking Model of the same 1980s period. PH would have done EVERYBODY a real favour if they had put the actual model designation on the rifle as well as in the bl**dy catalogue!

They couldn't do that because they used mainly what was in the parts bins at that time so one model merged into another.
There's nothing wrong with their rifles, in fact I've had a couple myself, but they never really aimed for the top of the market. Mind you I wouldn't mind picking up a decent M81 classic.

yes I regret not buying the M81 Classic from F.A. Anderson's some years back it was like mint. Instead I brought a Ruger No1B as the prices was only £20 more than the scope it was wearing. New price for the scope that is. I still have that Leupold 2.5-8 Vari X 111 although the Ruger went in a trade some years ago now.

As for pad being changed it seems common practice in the US. The one on my recently acquired 1200TX needs changed as it's gone hard and brittle. It seems this happens in the US as well. My 1200TX has spent time abroad, mainly Germany I understand, as the previous owner was in the forces.. Now I don't know why P-H stopped putting the model name or designation on the rifles the 1200TX is roll marked on the top of the barrel, the old Safari's were engraved or roll marked on the left wall of the action and yes it's frustrating especially when the guntrade in general has no ideal as to what they are selling. I have been looking a rather clean model 1000 P-H but the vendor has it up as a P-H 1200 super :rolleyes: Perhaps he will still have it when my funds recover from the two recent purchases............................. somehow I don't think my luck is that good.

Identifying the P-H different models is what started my quest for the P-H catalogues. Still have gaps to fill like the periods 1970- 1976 & 1977- 1986. They also did some 4 page fliers and I have a couple of those which are helpful too.

So Muir have the voices stopped or did you cave in?

my old man has a PH Safari in .270......or at least we think its a "safari".

he never uses it think hes thinking bout giving up the Firearms cert but keeping shotgun cert.
ill have to have a nosey see what it is exactly....nice old gun but hasnt seen daylight in few years ....its wasted!!

how many "models" did PH actually do?

sauer

Hmm let's see:-

In 1963 they launched their new sporting rifle line up with :-

The New Safari Super
Safari De Luxe
Safari 375 Magnum
Safari Standard

The Supreme No4 & No1
De Luxe No4 & No1
Standard No4 & No1

Now in 1966 the line up consisted of:-

Safari Supreme
Safari Super
Safari De Luxe
Safari 375
Safari Standard
.222 Rem This was a new model with a drop mag.

By 1968 they were calling the:-

Super Safari the Model 1200 and had a drop mag version the 1200C
Standard safari was now the Model 1000 and that too could be had with a drop mag as the 1000c
The Deluxe only came a std drop floor plate model

In 1970 they introduced some new models or variants the :-
1200V Varmint with 4 1/2 lbs bull barrel
1100 De luxe
The Safari African Magnum now available in 404 as well as .375.

Custom No4 & No1

Now in the mid 70's according to catalogue 73/4 they had dropped the Safari name and just used the model numbers. The 1200 line had been expanded to include:-

1200 Super
1200C
1200V
1200P (Presentation with engraved receiver and floor plate and select walnut stock)
1200TX target rifle

1100 De Luxe
1100M African Magnum now available in .375, .404 and .458 Win mag.
1000 Standard
And they still offered the sporterised .303's
They had also just introduced the Enfield 1861 replicar.

In the No76/77 catalogue they also list the T4 target rifle the Enfield conversion to 7.62x52

Now in the No86 catalogue things change as they now have the:-

M81 Classic
1100 Lightweight
1200 Super
1200M Super Magnum
1200C Super Clip
1200CM Super Clip Magnum
1200V Varmint
1000 Standard
1100M African magnum
2100 Midland
1200TX
M85 Sniper rifle
M82 Marksman & Sniper rifle
L.81A1 Target rifle (Cadet rifle)
M84 Canberra & Bisley
M86 Target rifle
M87 Target rifle

Now in the late 60' or early 70's they also offered a P-H Hussar which was built upon a Brno action and engraved Hussar on the left side wall. I have never seen one but on my old computers hard drive are photos kindly sent to me by someone of this model. Now I am bound to have missed some that I have not come across as yet :oops:
. If you send a photo of the whole rifle perhaps we can help you identify it. If you pull the stock off and note the private view mark which is like this:-

ModelEViewmark.jpg

except is a few years when it was in a circle or oval we can look up the date on proofing up and as P-H submitted in the white it should tell the date of manufacture.

Last edited:
crikey brithunter!!!!

wealth of info there!!!

ill speak to him when i get home ( working in ghana just now home next week hopefully) and get some piccies .im curious as to what it is now exactly. im pretty sure its nowt "special" but curious now all the same.

never used to be interested in manufacturers and their history per say but getting bit more intersted last wee while:-|

sauer

What about the 1300 Scout ?

Thank you as I said :-

Now I am bound to have missed some that I have not come across as yet

Now that you mention it yes Carolyn at the club brought one of those when they came out in .308. I believe they were also offered in .243 but none of the catalogues I have here have the Scout model 1300 in them. There are still gaps to be filled :oops:. I have never actually handled one of the scouts closest i got was a cobbled together Gibbs jobbie with scout stock and magazine fitted to a std 1200/1100 barreled action. it was pretty awful and poorly put together as i hear a lot of the Gibbs assembled rifles were :(.

The model information posted was taken from the catalogues i do have to hand here and not from memory as I might have made an error doing so :eek:.

Back in the mists of time i was at the Game fair. On the PH stand ? They had a rifle with a thunb hole stock. I think that the calibre was .300 HH mag. I handled the rifle and thought how nice it felt. Did they ever Make, sell this rifle ? Was it on the PH stand or is my :old: mind playing tricks on me.

See a few "older" rifles turn up over here, saw a v nice PH (If you like that sort of thing ;)) the other day.
I have seen old manuels from PH few mnths back in a 2nd hand shop, if I see anything might be of interest Brit, I`ll pick it up ( I`ll do it in the dark so no one recognises me ):)

It think it would be a very extensive list if you listed all variants made because I have a feeling they often assembled "new" models from the parts available at the time. Some of these models never appeared in their catagues which in later years only appeared infrequently.
I was very sorry to see the demise of the company as over a number of years I had several dealings with them mainly regarding pistols and their service was first rate. The products they produced themselves weren't aimed at the top of the market but were honest and seviceable and you couldn't fault their barrels.

Jagare it hasn't struck me that your are starting to loose your facilties so I believe your memory is probably correct. I think they must have produced a few concept guns over the years but using parts already available to them or readily sourced.

See a few "older" rifles turn up over here, saw a v nice PH (If you like that sort of thing ;)) the other day.
I have seen old manuels from PH few mnths back in a 2nd hand shop, if I see anything might be of interest Brit, I`ll pick it up ( I`ll do it in the dark so no one recognises me ):)

Thank you it all helps as sadly Bremmer Arms burnt all the company records it seems. Oh shall I send over some dark glasses? ;)

As parker-Hale sourced their stocks from Sile of Italy as did BSA from about 1963 it seems, which explains why they look similar ;), oh and it may just be possiblw that Tikka did as i wa slooking at an older model on Gunbroker and even the skip line (Scotch checkering as P-H called it :rolleyes:) was the same. same angular rosewood fore-tip it just screamed Sile.

Anyway if Sile offered the style it would have been easy for P-H to tack it on to an order. remember P-H also did runs not listed for export customers. That's how my 1200 Super in 7.92mm came about.

Oh and the reason P-H moved into making Mauser actions sporting rifles in 1963 was that after their enforced move to the Sparkbrook site due tot eh re-devlopment of Birmingham city centre. in the alcoves in the tunnel range on the site they found bins of brand new Mauser actions. Seems they were grabbed as war reparations and put in storage at BSA's as it was then. The MOD didn't want them so P-H built rifles on them. Until that time they had only been modifying military surplus for target and sporting shooting.

Back