Blasers, owner experience?

Border

How many people who have bought Blaser straightpulls still use and are happy with them? I think most probably have had turnbolts and have "upgraded". Anyone "downgraded" after a period of use?
I am sitting on the fence, I have nothing against them. All of them that I have seen or shot have shot well. Just beginning to get an R93 itch that may be scratched in time.........

I have had an R8 Pro now for about three years, started with one calibre and have progressed into three. switch weekly between a deer stalking setup with glass and a foxing setup with a DroneP. I have yet to find something that annoys me, absolute work horse.

I did purchase a few traditional bolt action rifles (T3/CZ527/M12) since transitioning to straight-pull and found it strange, almost old fashioned, the only thing people have pointed out to me which I take as a fair point is I have become a little complacent relying on the cocking mechanism for safety but that's more me than the rifle.

I bought a Mauser M12 in .308 last year, it was a cracking rifle in terms of build quality and aesthetics but i found myself thinking "what if i had bought a Blaser". Long story short - I bought a Blaser R8 and i think its great. I should have just spent the extra the first time round. I would 100% reccomend them to anyone looking for a futureproof rifle. Its serious cash... but you wont need a new one for a while...

The Blaser's have a few disadvantages over turnbolts. Firstly the locking mechanism has had issues. The Barrels seem to very slow compared to other rifles and to remove the bolt the stock comb must be much lower than on other turn bolt designs meaning without an adjustable cheek most will have issues with 50-56mm scopes. They are absolute "must haves" if shooting at posh driven hunts or if the boss has one.
The French Chapius Rols might be an alternative, speaking to the owner they are raving about their locking design being safer and stronger than the Blaser version.
Yes I have an R8 as well as other rifles.
edi

Had one a 93 with two barrels 7-08 and .300 wsm they are very accurate light handy rifles, but greatly overpriced for what you get.
Buy a S&L instead.

There will always be cons and pros about blasers.
I had r93 itch and by the time I scratched it I got an R8 pro.

Never looked back. Love the modular approach as it makes cleaning a doddle.

2 barrels (calibers) yet same stock fit and trigger pull experience.

Hardly shoot my R93 anymore. I've generally use the Blaser K95 Stutzen or the Blaser BBF97.

However it is nice to take it out every now and then blow something up with the 416 Remington Barrel.

My only advice is to make sure its some easy calibre to get ammo for and not a barrel burner.

I have a totally basic, plastic stock, light barrel "poverty" R8.

I quite like it. I think it's overpriced for what it is, but it shoots fantastically well and I like the safety.

The modular nature of it is definitely handy as well as the reduced 'action' length.

I have noticed that Blasers do seem to attract a certain hatred that i'm not so sure is quite deserved. I like mine, but at the same time, it's not the only game in town.

Had a wee .243 R93 attaché since they came out, it's still shooting on the button, and I've been shooting upward of 200 a year since way back then, am very surprised at how well the short fluted barrel both performs and has lasted, though my loads are tame compared to many.

Some detractors mention the safety, but if you don't re engage the safety on any rifle, then it's also ready to fire, the only possible exceptions are kipplauf types with auto safety, not so many. If you've ever had a guest follow you on a crawl in with a rifle pointing your way, you'll appreciate the inherent safety of the relaxed spring type cocking mechanisms.

How many people who have bought Blaser straightpulls still use and are happy with them?

It is like anything else I guess and depends on your requirements. Mine is a tool to do a job and in that respect I really don't know how you'd make it any better. Yes they are expensive for what you seem to get but they are well engineered and practical and the longer I live with mine (approaching 12 years now at a guess) the more I come to like it for all these reasons, good design and engineering don't come cheap. Some people like to fiddle and customize and chop and change whereas I just like to lift the rifle out and go and not have to think about it. It will shoot any ammo I can put into it better than I can, it has been weatherproof and reliable in some pretty awful conditions, it is completely consistent unlike me, the cocking mechanism is certainly a very good idea, and best of all it comes apart and packs into something little bigger than a briefcase and when you put it back together nothing has changed. In a way a lot of these things are disadvantages for people as it is a quality tool for someone looking to do a job but if your hobby is guns rather than getting out and using them then there is nothing to modify, fiddle with, worry about and load development can be as simple as buying a box of whatever the shop has in the right cartridge. A lot of people get a lot of pleasure out of enjoying their guns, modifying them etc. and in that case I'd say the Blaser isn't what they want.

Hardly shoot my R93 anymore. I've generally use the Blaser K95 Stutzen or the Blaser BBF97.

However it is nice to take it out every now and then blow something up with the 416 Remington Barrel.

My only advice is to make sure its some easy calibre to get ammo for and not a barrel burner.

Was thinking 308 win. Should be good for 10k rounds.

Mine is R8 Professional in 308 win, 52 cm barrel. A well thought out working rifle, engineered to perfection. A well designed workhorse with nothing to complain about. I could say many things about it, but as I've written them down here and there too many times allready I'll try to be short. Things I would like to point out - probably the shortest bolt action rifle out there, excellent trigger, very reliable, accurate, fast repeater, very rugged, very easy to dissasemble and clean. A rifle made for a professional hunter who appreciates german perfection engineering.

A lot of people get a lot of pleasure out of enjoying their guns, modifying them etc. and in that case I'd say the Blaser isn't what they want.

I may be guilty of tinkering hence I fitted my r8 pro with an adjustable cheek piece from KalixTeknik.
An Spartan bipod gunsmith adapter due to be delivered soon so I am looking forward to fitting it.
Other than that it is perfect for me.

The wife bought me a R8 pro success 3 years ago in .308 and I couldn't be happier , fantastic trigger , easy to clean /strip , stupidly accurate with whatever ammunition is in it and carries very well . Downsides well cost and explaining `to other stalkers that you are not gay :D.

I may be guilty of tinkering hence I fitted my r8 pro with an adjustable cheek piece from KalixTeknik.
An Spartan bipod gunsmith adapter due to be delivered soon so I am looking forward to fitting it.
Other than that it is perfect for me.

ditto... fitted my R93 Off-Road pro stock with a Kalix (Not even half an hours work) to suit my Drone Pro and Wardy WT1 75-3 thermal. Perfick.

Fizz
:cool:

I'll gladly share my experience.
I disliked my Blaser so much that I never shot it. I even went as far as never purchasing it in the first place. Hell. I didn't even do a google search to find a dealer to not purchase the gun that I won't shoot from.
...And that's all I'll say on the subject . :coat:~Muir

I'll gladly share my experience.
I disliked my Blaser so much that I never shot it. I even went as far as never purchasing it in the first place. Hell. I didn't even do a google search to find a dealer to not purchase the gun that I won't shoot from.
...And that's all I'll say on the subject . :coat:~Muir

:rofl:

Back