Thread: Stalking v Technology

Bradley

Stalking v Technology

I have noticed a trend amongst some of the more recent entrants into the stalking world to veer towards the use of heavy semi-custom, large calibre rifles with high mag variable power scopes slap on top. In the mistaken belief that bigger is better and its what the other rifle shooters use. I wont call them stalkers as I don't believe that they are, as most seem to have come out of the vermin/target/practical rifle shooting brigades.

They then equip themselves with all sorts of electronic gadgetry. In the mistaken belief that they need it all in order to shoot lots more deer at extended ranges often beyond their capabilities.

I'm not one that follows in this particular school of thought as you might have gathered. Preferring to keep stalking kit as simple as possible and to use my stalking skills learnt thru years of good tutoring and application to put deer into the bag.

I just wondered what the rest of the site membership thought of this rather inappropriate trend.

Bradley said

I've been searching for a calibre that has a bit of reach and punch for extended fox shooting. 350m plus.

Bradley also said

I have noticed a trend amongst some of the more recent entrants into the stalking world to veer towards the use of heavy semi-custom, large calibre rifles with high mag variable power scopes slap on top. In the mistaken belief that bigger is better and its what the other rifle shooters use. I wont call them stalkers as I don't believe that they are, as most seem to have come out of the vermin/target/practical rifle shooting brigades.

They then equip themselves with all sorts of electronic gadgetry. In the mistaken belief that they need it all in order to shoot lots more deer at extended ranges often beyond their capabilities.

I'm not one that follows in this particular school of thought as you might have gathered. Preferring to keep stalking kit as simple as possible and to use my stalking skills learnt thru years of good tutoring and application to put deer into the bag.

I just wondered what the rest of the site membership thought of this rather inappropriate trend.

When I stalk these days I have my rifle, shooting sticks, binoculars, knife, mobile phone (just in case) and go dressed for the weather, experiance has taught me what I need.
    Over the years, I have taken everything bar the kitchen sink whilst stalking.
    I will say I have always enjoyed stalking, even whilst carrying an entire shop full of kit, of which at the time I felt I needed.
    Recently in the sporting press figures have been released about how much money is spent on shooting sports including guides, game and equipment, all of which helps support all our sport.
    As a male (who hasn't moved on much from boy hood) 39 years old, I love gadgets and new toys, all part of the fun.
    Be honest we all do.

Carl Gustaf
    I also travel light. I would though love to have an Accuracy International sniper rifle and some top sights. Toys I'm afraid are very moorish.

swampy

toys and stuff

Bradley does have a point and it is interesting to make. When i go out on my motorbike i have raced my mate on his to see who's is faster. I reckon we have a competitive edge to our spirit and we just want biggest and what we percieve to be best.

I can't afford the shiniest toys so i do with out. I don't feel they are treated as a replacement for stalking skill, but they are nice to have. look at the bullet arguement. we all argue over whos bullet is best when (in my opinion) the best hunting bullets for deer stalking are bog standard psp. but they aren't the next new thing and they don't have shiny plastic noses.

thats what i think.

might be well off the mark,

swampy

malcolm
    Personally I do think there are to many gimmicks on the market, after all one only has to look at the huge amount of cammo clothing around.

On the open hill for Reds, you only need the bare minimum. Rifle, bullets (obviously) binoculars, stick for walking, knife, drag rope, mobile phone or radio, and your piece for the day. The only additional piece of equipment I take with clients is a rangefinder. Good walking boots, gaters, and good quality waterproof, windproof coat and trousers that are silent.

For Woodland stalking, i do not take a rangefinder, but often a bottle of talcum powder to test the wind (non perfumed), I also believe a silenced rifle is far better, and a very good light gathering scope. Also a set of shooting sticks.

Good weather, nice constant breeze, no midges, and some luck, also helps.

Stalking v Technology

I believe in the old adage " It is better to have and not need, than to need and have not". However on saying that, when you are 1000 feet up the side of a mountain and you need to drag the beast back to the larder, and you're carrying 8lbs of rifle, stick, binos, ammo, water,and all the rest of the gubbins that seemed like a good idea at the time, sometimes, just sometimes I question my own sanity and really think to myself "Page, you stupid boy."
    I too like shiny new objects and like a lot of people on this site fall prey to the advertisers hype, must have ,must have, when in reality, the basics will invariably do the job intended.
    Andy

splash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Gustaf
    I also travel light. I would though love to have an Accuracy International sniper rifle and some top sights. Toys I'm afraid are very moorish.
    I do have one ! and have used it a few times.
    Fantastic in a high seat BUT an nightmare when woodland stalking.
    Now use a remington model 7 20' barrel and 7.5 lb inc scope less than half the weight of the AI.

Carl Gustaf
    A Remmy 7, another rifle to put on my wish list. I used one for the range work on my DSC1. A basic 243 but very sweet, the sniper version looks the K9's testes!

Bradley
    Wayne

Very nice of you to quote not 1 but 2 of my posts, and in full and with bold type no less.

Your point being......................... ?????????