Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ticks biting well

Ticks biting well

Just a reminder for you guys to check yourselves after each stalk and remove any ticks you find with a proper tick remover. I have been out 3 days in a row and shot a few deer. Whilst siting here reading the news I noticed a tick nymph on my forearm. On further inspection I found another 4. Tiny little things but no less serious. I haven't had a tick bite for 2 years so don't know what's happened this time? Stay safe guys.

Where abouts were you out stalking?

i managed to get bitten in thetford forest recently...

Thetford ridded with ticks, has been years
    Kind Regards
    Cranhill

Was out stalking yesterday and this morning, trousers was crawling with them on both occasions.

Thetford forest and MOD ground is probably the worst tick area in England. Skin a deer the skin looks like the Lace my grandma used to make.
    Honour all men, Love the Brotherhood, Fear God, Honour the Queen.

Keep the Faith.

My wife helped me skin and butcher a deer earlier this year and blow me down if we didn't both get tick bites! On inspection we both had the larva/nymph size critters making themselves at home. One of her bites came up with a telltale red corona a day later. That carcass had been in a chiller for 24+ hours and the blighters were still there! So keep checking till bambi is in the freezer.

Anyway, it got me to thinking about prevention: Quite a few sites recommend treating clothing with permethrin. Anyone have experience of the stuff? Effective? Harmless to humans? Benign to clothing?

Obviously we are biased..., easy solution - Rovince

Rovince Anti Tick Clothing

Folk should be mindul of treating clothing with Pemethrin due to the active ingredients...

Having been on a course of Doxycycline treatments a while back Rovince has kept me (and our syndicate) tick free - small investment for peace of mind

Rgds

Rob
    www.monarchcountryproducts.co.uk for quality stalking & shooting accessories

Are the trouser pockets deep enough to keep car keys, etc in please ?

Quote Originally Posted by Monarch Country Products View Post
    Obviously we are biased..., easy solution - Rovince

Rovince Anti Tick Clothing

Folk should be mindul of treating clothing with Pemethrin due to the active ingredients...

Having been on a course of Doxycycline treatments a while back Rovince has kept me (and our syndicate) tick free - small investment for peace of mind

Rgds

Rob
    Hi Rob. What are the active ingredients in permethrin formulations about which we should be cautious? Also on one page on the Monarch site it declares Zeck Protect to last the lifetime of the garment. In the section that deals with the shirt, it places an 80 wash efficacy limit. Are you placing garment life at 80 washs?

Quote Originally Posted by zambezi View Post
    Hi Rob. What are the active ingredients in permethrin formulations about which we should be cautious? Also on one page on the Monarch site it declares Zeck Protect to last the lifetime of the garment. In the section that deals with the shirt, it places an 80 wash efficacy limit. Are you placing garment life at 80 washs?
    Permethrin can be obtained in various concentrates & whilst most people will have not side effects it should be treated with caution - may be worth reading the information on the link below:

Pyrethroids: Not as safe as you think

As for Rovince the manufactures state approx 80 wash for Zechprotec to be still effective - garment life really depends on the frequency of use, conditions etc. I have been wearing Rovince for 4yrs now, my trousers have only been washed 3/4 times in that time, so based on that they will be effective for a good while yet

To answer Blueroll's question the pockets are deep enought to accomodate car keys etc

www.monarchcountryproducts.co.uk for quality stalking & shooting accessories