Ticks biting well

baguio

Just a reminder for you guys to check yourselves after each stalk and remove any ticks you find with a proper tick remover. I have been out 3 days in a row and shot a few deer. Whilst siting here reading the news I noticed a tick nymph on my forearm. On further inspection I found another 4. Tiny little things but no less serious. I haven't had a tick bite for 2 years so don't know what's happened this time? Stay safe guys.

Thetford forest and MOD ground is probably the worst tick area in England. Skin a deer the skin looks like the Lace my grandma used to make.

My wife helped me skin and butcher a deer earlier this year and blow me down if we didn't both get tick bites! On inspection we both had the larva/nymph size critters making themselves at home. One of her bites came up with a telltale red corona a day later. That carcass had been in a chiller for 24+ hours and the blighters were still there! So keep checking till bambi is in the freezer.

Anyway, it got me to thinking about prevention: Quite a few sites recommend treating clothing with permethrin. Anyone have experience of the stuff? Effective? Harmless to humans? Benign to clothing?

Obviously we are biased..., easy solution - Rovince

Rovince Anti Tick Clothing

Folk should be mindul of treating clothing with Pemethrin due to the active ingredients...

Having been on a course of Doxycycline treatments a while back Rovince has kept me (and our syndicate) tick free - small investment for peace of mind :old:

Rgds

Rob

Hi Rob. What are the active ingredients in permethrin formulations about which we should be cautious? Also on one page on the Monarch site it declares Zeck Protect to last the lifetime of the garment. In the section that deals with the shirt, it places an 80 wash efficacy limit. Are you placing garment life at 80 washs?

Hi Rob. What are the active ingredients in permethrin formulations about which we should be cautious? Also on one page on the Monarch site it declares Zeck Protect to last the lifetime of the garment. In the section that deals with the shirt, it places an 80 wash efficacy limit. Are you placing garment life at 80 washs?

Permethrin can be obtained in various concentrates & whilst most people will have not side effects it should be treated with caution - may be worth reading the information on the link below:

Pyrethroids: Not as safe as you think

As for Rovince the manufactures state approx 80 wash for Zechprotec to be still effective - garment life really depends on the frequency of use, conditions etc. I have been wearing Rovince for 4yrs now, my trousers have only been washed 3/4 times in that time, so based on that they will be effective for a good while yet :)

To answer Blueroll's question the pockets are deep enought to accomodate car keys etc

:tiphat:

As for Rovince the manufactures state approx 80 wash for Zechprotec to be still effective - garment life really depends on the frequency of use, conditions etc. I have been wearing Rovince for 4yrs now, my trousers have only been washed 3/4 times in that time, so based on that they will be effective for a good while yet :)

Ok. I am persuaded! If I order online and sizes are off, can I send back?

Agreed!

I was out a few weeks ago and picked 5 of the little buggers up, three on one leg and two on the other.

I shot a munty doe on the weekend and she had a good few on her as well. Horrible things!

Rob, do you genuinely think Rovince works and it hasn't just been good fortune you've maybe not seen any ticks?

I contracted Lyme last year and really not wanting the drama again this time around! That being said, I have looked at the Rovince trousers and don't particularly like them if I'm honest. If you think they 100% work though, aesthetics and function have to play second fiddle to a tick bite.

Cheers

Rob, do you genuinely think Rovince works and it hasn't just been good fortune you've maybe not seen any ticks?

I contracted Lyme last year and really not wanting the drama again this time around! That being said, I have looked at the Rovince trousers and don't particularly like them if I'm honest. If you think they 100% work though, aesthetics and function have to play second fiddle to a tick bite.

Cheers

Ok, forgetting our interest in the clothing up until 4yrs ago I used to be a tick-magnet - I lease a fairly large area of foresty & hill in South Ayrshire that is heavily tick infested, after every stalking trip when I got home the wife had to get out the O'Toms to remove them, in the last 4yrs I haven't picked up 1.

When we do shows such as Scone we get folk coming up to the stand telling us that they have been tick-free since wearing Rovince and how pleased they are with it, we also supply Highland estates who order up new kit every 18 months for their keepers as part of their risk-assesment criteria.

We/Rovince will never make the claim that the clothing is 100% effective as a tick can drop down a shirt collar or through an opening, however all I can say is that it works for me and there's alot stalkers out there who can vouch for it's effectiveness.

Investing in Rovince certainly is not for everyone, we enjoy promoting the clothing based on positive feedback, also my mother inlaw is probably going to be positively diagnosed with Lymes so we have a family interest to raise awareness.

Thanks

I was regularly bitten, particularly when prepping heads for boiling.

I spent 3 months house bound as a result of contracting Lyme's last year. Luckily I have now made a full recovery!

My advice is to take all precautions where possible, the clothing will help, you are most risk when dealing with the carcass/ trophy and skinning.

If you start seeing symptoms, do not delay in seeing the doc, and press them hard for medication. You would be amazed at how little knowledge some of them had with the disease

Had a muntie in the chiller for over a week and there were still 3mm ticks alive in the drip tray!

Having been tagged last year, douse all of my kit regularly in permethrin, and even have gone so far as to cover a smock I use for butchering.

I guess this must come down to the individual, either that or I’m very lucky so far... I both work and stalk in thetford forest and surrounding locality. Deer are often covered in ticks and my dogs certainly find them, but in all my years here I’ve only ever found 1 nymph which attached to my kneecap in over a decade living, working and stalking in this place. I’ve never spent money on Rovince clothing, but I do always wear either wellies or long trousers over my walking boots. So far so good, maybe there’s something about my blood they don’t like, or maybe I’m tempting fate.....?

I guess this must come down to the individual, either that or I’m very lucky so far... I both work and stalk in thetford forest and surrounding locality. Deer are often covered in ticks and my dogs certainly find them, but in all my years here I’ve only ever found 1 nymph which attached to my kneecap in over a decade living, working and stalking in this place. I’ve never spent money on Rovince clothing, but I do always wear either wellies or long trousers over my walking boots. So far so good, maybe there’s something about my blood they don’t like, or maybe I’m tempting fate.....?

I stalk in an area with heavy tick burden and am a tick magnet and picked 20 off my jacket and trousers alone one evening when I got back into the car however my German mate who comes over every year has never picked up one and I’m always accompanying him. Strange but they maybe like some more than others.

Back