Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lesley hewlitt scopes

lesley hewlitt scopes

Hi i purchased a lesley hewlitt scope to put on my 22 lr its a 4x32 came in the original box and set me back a whopping 20 .Now im delighted with its clarity and accuracy but i was wandering can anyone tell me a bit about their history and how would they be rated against todays scopes as in - are they equivalant to hawke scopes or zeis or swarovskis and what is the value of these scopes ?as i said i paid 20 but would gladly paid 100 if i was aware of the quality of it .Any info greatly appreciated .[I must admitt i will be shocked if im told they were cheap and nasty scopes]

yours
    charlie

Hi chay, if you are willing to pay 100 for such a scope I am sure I could find you a dozen or so.
    They are a basic scope quite suited to a rimfire rifle and being a simple fixed power scope allow reasonable passage of light through the tube. These scopes were made on the paciffic rim and appear under numerous other brand names. They aren't the quality of say Hawke but equate probably to earlier Nikko Stirling scopes, in fact I am fairly sure it's the same scope. They are cheap but not really nasty. Ideal for an air rifle or rimfire only.

Sorry I cannot agree that Hawke are worth the effort after buyuing one to try on a .22 rimfire. it was bloody awful. It was one of their Nite-Eye scopes and a total waste of money. I also tried a new Tasco 3-9x40E with illuminated reticle and that was worse. I would never recommend any of those even to people I don't like.

i had a leslie hewitt 4x40 on my first ever gun, a webley vulcan back in 1985. cant remember it being of great quality but it accounted for a fair amount of things that i would kick the arse of my son for shooting.
    i havn't seen one before or since

Brithunter I bought a Hawke Endurance from the optics warehouse some time ago. 25 for a 6x42 fixed power scope with a five year guarantee. I was quite impressed by it and would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap scope. I actually put it on an old midland .308 rifle and encountered no problems at all. I would tend to agree with you regarding some of the other scopes that you have mentioned and would certainly not consider putting them on a full bore rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Brithunter I bought a Hawke Endurance from the optics warehouse some time ago. 25 for a 6x42 fixed power scope with a five year guarantee. I was quite impressed by it and would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap scope. I actually put it on an old midland .308 rifle and encountered no problems at all. I would tend to agree with you regarding some of the other scopes that you have mentioned and would certainly not consider putting them on a full bore rifle.
    Thanks for that .. I brought the illuminated as I wanted to try one with that reticle. just to find out if it worked or not. My thoughts are after this experiment that yes on a much better quality scope they would be useful but the cheap ones are a waste of time. I did have a gander at the Hawke stand at the Newark show but I am afraid it was was rather crowded and they seemed to have all the variables and none of the plain jane fixed scopes on show......................................Typicall y aimed at the air gun crowd I suspect.

Funny thing is I picked up an ASI 4x32 Korean made scope which appears to be quite good except the parrallax is set for about 25 yards. An e-bay find I actually brought it for the Hilver rings it had on it so the scope cost me about fiver if that. Will have to see if it can be re-set to a better distance and give it a whirl on a rim fire .

Thanks guys i suppose it boils down to what works for the individual .As for the nikko sterling theory i used to be an avid fan of them when i shot 12 years ago .it was the gold crown range i had a 4x40 on my air rifle a 3-9x40 on my 22lr and an 8x56 on my 22/250 and i never had one bit of bother with them i absaloutly loved them and they didnt break the bank.
    Anyhow my lesley hewlitt has far surpassed any expectations i just cant get over the quality of picture and the obvious knocks and bumps it gets does nit bother it one little iota.
    Im going to check another scope when i get home for the name and will post it up in the hope of a response i think it is a lisenfield 8x56 but will double check that .

Lisenfeld made some very nice scopes. I have a 3-9x42 one.

I'm sure I had one on a 22 , years back.

I found the Hawke pretty good, I had a 10-24 x 50 on a .17 and got on fine with it, Ballindalloch has the set up now so it's accuracy will have gone to pot

As far as cheap scopes go, I've a tasco world class 4-10 x 40 on my .22, it spent 16years on a cf2 .270 and never let me down, I bought it from macleods in about 1990 for 80quid i think.

Tasco used to make a good scope then the company was lead into ruin and they switched production to somewhere other than Japan and finally China and as a result their later scopes are pretty ropey. I think you will find your World Class and the Titan scopes were made in Japan and are of good quality.. The Tasco World Class scope rings are actually Hilvers and I heard the rumour, don't know how true it is though , that the Titan range was make for them by Hakko.