Potential of Turmeric for Warding Off Ticks & Lyme Disease

Krabryn

As a retired pharmacologist, the old eye for a potentially useful product for us deer stalkers and the wider walking fraternity was caught today. I espied the attached article in The Daily Telegraph reporting a group in Bristol claiming turmeric is more effective than commercial tick repellants.
It begs the question who will first commercialize this........?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_21ca.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_21ca.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 134
Why do you say this? Have you tried it and found it doesn't work?
If garlic is capable of keeping vampires at bay, who knows what properties other herbs and spices may have.

Nothing works! I am a tick magnet, nothing stops them getting me.

It's popular in France, I'm told, and not just for tick problems.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Golden Paste:

30g of turmeric powder
120 ml of water- or more in reserve if needed - about 1 cup. depending on your make of turmeric you might need more.
1 teaspoons (5g) of freshly ground black pepper
35ml Raw cold pressed Coconut Oil/cold pressed or extra virgin olive oil.
1 tablespoon of honey (don't use golden syrup)
Method:
1. Place Turmeric and water into a pan and put on a low heat and simmer.DO NOT ALLOW BOIL
2. Simmer for approximately 7-10 mins
3. Remove from the heat, stir in the coconut oil/olive oil and freshly ground black pepper and honey
4. Mix well and leave to cool. Once cool place in your chosen storage container
this will keep for 2-3 weeks in the fridge

Take a quarter of a teaspoon 3 times a day with food for about 7 days, increase the does by a quarter of a teaspoon
each week untill desired affect if found. Check with your GP if you take prescribed mediacation before taking so they are aware you are starting to take turmeric. lots of info on the internet about turmeric and it's benifits
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Not surprising really that other plant based products should ward off ticks and other insects.

Permethrin - is a plant based product.

Many many medicones are plant based / plant derived, or indeed if a modern synthetic drug, it is in effect a reformulation of a plant derived product.

It doesn’t say in that article how it’s supposed to be taken .

The golden paste recipe above is renowned by many for helping both humans and animal ailments joint issues...

Dr Michael Mosley did trials and found that best way it made a difference was cooked into food then ingested ......taken in pill form wasn’t nearly as effective

Paul

Turmeric also supposedly cures/prevents cancer, reminds me of "evening primrose" which if you believe the hype, is alleged in "health shops" to cure everything from galloping diahorrea, hair loss, to bubonic plague! In fact it makes you wonder why we bother with billions of pounds in research and taking 21st century medicine at all. Personally, high leg boots with trousers tucked in have stopped me getting any more ticks after years of getting them with normal boots on - and I'm in woods all my workdays long. Not saying its not worth a try though, who knows? As is said above, pyrethrum (the natural version of permethrin) from Marigolds is a genuinely effective insecticide, and most drugs have their roots in natural substances, so it may be that one element in the makeup of turmeric has an effect. Would be interesting for someone who is a "tick magnet" :D to give it a go and let us know if it helped.

Last edited:
Permethrin might not be a spice of choice, but it's totally effective at keeping the ticks off your clothing, which is usually (!) the first point of contact.

you need a controlled experiment to prove the efficacy.
Outer clothes sprayed with permethrin and trousers tucked in.
still got four on my hand and arm though last week.:evil:

Highly likely they did not come off your clothing and on to you though, see the extensive experiments and research carried out by US military into effect, ticks usually fall off within 10 seconds of coming into permethrin impregnated clothing, and usually die shortly thereafter.

I gralloch using arm length disposable gloves, even then I've seem the little beggars scuttling as fast as they can toward somewhere they can get in.

Permethrin Repellent | TickInfo

TickEncounter Resource Center

Summary - Health Effects of Permethrin-Impregnated Army Battle-Dress Uniforms - NCBI Bookshelf

Some unhappy break-dancing there!
Happy reading!

Last edited:
Highly likely they did not come off your clothing and on to you though, see the extensive experiments and research carried out by US military into effect, ticks usually fall off within 10 seconds of coming into permethrin impregnated clothing, and usually die shortly thereafter.

I gralloch using arm length disposable gloves, even then I've seem the little beggars scuttling as fast as they can toward somewhere they can get in.

Permethrin Repellent | TickInfo

TickEncounter Resource Center

Summary - Health Effects of Permethrin-Impregnated Army Battle-Dress Uniforms - NCBI Bookshelf

Some unhappy break-dancing there!
Happy reading!

Good to see - did a stalk at the weekend in a high risk tick area and was amazed to see a dog walker in a T shirt, shorts and flip flops at 6am...

Back