A twist in the stalk!!!!

nuttyspaniel

I went out this morn for a stalk. After 30mins I stood watching 2 fox cubs playing not more than 30 feet away totally oblivious to my presence. After a fruitless stalk I decided to return to the motor as the easterly was picking up changed direction and ended winding my next plan of attack. So back to the road and a brisk walk back but forever keeping a vigilant eye open for a stray buck. I had walk about 10mins when I heard a fawn bleeting!! I stood still, pin pointed where it was coming from and decided I would try and see it after about 10mins pondering yes or no!! 10 feet inside the wood lay a new born still wet and the ambilcal cord still attached a quick photo with the mobile and I left it be. After this rich sighting I thought well what a twist, Im out with a rifle to end life and this morn Ive seen new life and ended none!! But I felt a warm glow inside seeing the sights I did, absolutely fantastic I thought and didnt give a hoot that I was empty handed I new I was alive and not many people get the chance to witness what I had. Well to top the morn of I ended up shooting a yearling buck 20 yds from the jeep :D not far to drag it either bonus :lol:

God its good to be alive and active in the country. 8) :)

nutty

Here it is

24052008022.jpg

24052008023.jpg

nutty

My wifes not speaking to me!!!! I told her I was going up with the air-rifle tomorrow as the 25-06 was a bit OTT!!!!! I cant believe after 11 years I can still get to her!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

nutty

well nutty you won't of had a better chance to get a pair of cubs than that
but what a way to end a stalk that hasd been my quest to post the first pics of a newborn on this site ,beat me to it i see did your heart melt,:lol:
just need a better camera
still a fitting end to a good stalk with the buck as a bonus
well done mate

Cheers Stone that was my phone I used. The cubs well the neighbouring farmer isnt to pleasant shall i say, weve had greive over access etc, so the more foxes the better. Im sorry but when he chases after me the road spies on our every move from 2 fields away, his wife gets stroppy with me, he can have all the foxes he needs for next spring. BTW thats not a go at you, just letting folks no my reasoning why I didnt shoot them and we dont have any plans of putting feather to wood.

nutty

:lol: :lol: :lol:
you evil beggar
:lol: :lol: :lol:
i tried that once and the farmer lost all his chickens so his wife went out and bought him some more same thing again still did not get the ground i wonder why :lol:
oh what fun
ATB
stone

Hi Nutty,
Stone and I were out this morning on the Roebucks. The weather was evil and we saw no Bucks at all. However we did see three Does and the first had a new born fawn in tow. Fantastic! Its the first time I've seen a Roe fawn, it really made my day. :D

Yes Nutty they are. I nearly thought of going vegan when I saw this precious little fawn looking at me. Well I nearly went vegan for 0.005 of a second then thought 'See you again in a few more years my little chap'! ;)

nuttyspaniel said:
Beo old boy superb they are trully a fantastic site.

nutty
that they are nutty , shame the weather was so bad as i daren't get the camera out
next time maybe
i may even try and follow the progress of this little one,to see how it goes
stone
ps as for mr b going vegan :lol: he even started discussing which marinade to to put on its poor little butt and i thought he was joking

The o/h and myself was out this morning and we to saw the first roe fawn of the year, we blanked on the bucks but seeing that little fella made up for it :D .

Thanks Mr Stag,

An excellent picture. Stone and I saw three Roe Does this morning and we got very close to two of them. The wind and rain were howling around us but these girls were in the 'leeward' side of the tall hedgerows. I think that maybe there was another fawn with one of the other does and the reason for the strange behaviour was to feed up enough to pruduce more milk for the new borns. We saw no bucks at all, they most likey were tucked away somewhere warm.

I generally find that the Bucks are always a bit elusive at this time of the year. It could be that there is plenty of food and therefore they really dont need to forage far, and also the ladies are producing young and therefore not interested in anything the Bucks might want to do.

I find that early April into mid May is a good time for Bucks, weather permitting, and then the rut late July early August. Again after this they seem to go to ground for a bit, but sometimes you can get a false rut about mid September and be in with a chance.

once again stagg
a well taken picture of such a beautifull looking creature, something mr B and myself took great joy in seeing, well worth getting soaked for and definately made up for the lack of presence from the resident bucks
mind you
in that weather who could blame them
malc
funny you should mention the late rut as i noticed this last year and put it down to the bad weather and flooding and concentrated harvest in our area, as obviously with the foot and mouth i could not get on the ground for a good part of the rut so missed out in july and august but towards end of september i saw several rutting bucks never realy new why this could now explain it

Back