Countryside Alliance - Licencing and GPs

A nice statement by the CA, I wish I could believe them as credible supporters of shooting but I can't.
Just look at some of the outlandish statements and stances that they have taken in the past. They have several times demonstrated their willingness to throw shooters under the bus in their quest to support fox hunting at the expense of all others.

As the number of shooters in CA membership increases there will be more of a balance.

Shouldn't shooters in affected counties be writing to their police and crime commissioner en masse and not moaning about their third party insurance provider, because, that's all these so called voices of country sports are!

As a side note, I've just gone through my FAC/SGC renewal and at interview was asked much more in depth medical questions and asked to sign for my statements. On accessing my online medical record later, found that there is a marker that I am a FAC holder. Which cost me nothing and I haven't got a problem with.

That's my position with the wildfowling club I'm in.

I felt so strongly against BASC that I left my wildfowling club, thankfully I have permission to shoot on some privately owned foreshore so I can still go fowling.

I asked my shoot whether they wanted to continue to be associated with BASC, based on past performance and they were willing to consider changing. It only takes one person but BASC arent stupid, tie in shoots and wildfowlers and you have a captive membership. However SACS do collective shoot insurances which are as good as BASC's. Time perhaps to question your shoot - 20 members * £70 = £1400. Nice cash for little.

As a side note, I've just gone through my FAC/SGC renewal and at interview was asked much more in depth medical questions and asked to sign for my statements. On accessing my online medical record later, found that there is a marker that I am a FAC holder. Which cost me nothing and I haven't got a problem with.

Why were asked "To sign for my statements". Can you expand on that comment please?. Iam interested to know why the Police asked you to sign. Are you able to say if the "Statement" was a formal statement, in other words used in compliance with sec 9 of the Criminal Justice Act (sec 9) Magistrates Court Act (1980 sec 5B). were you informed that "the statement was a formal one, or under caution, or you were warned that a false statement may lead to you being prosecuted?. The reason I ask is, if this is correct, why do the Police wish to formalise an ordinary enquiry carried out for the application for, or the renewal of certificates, or are they hoping someone will forget to provide information about themselves which may end up in refusal/revocation???

Patrick

By anybody's measure the CA have a significantly more cogent and uncompromising response than BASC. I shall be joining and hopefully so will many more. Maybe the migration of members FROM the organisation which is clearly NOT the 'voice of shooting' will make the point that they need a significant kick-up the backside to bask (sorry) in the praise of members. Well done CA - a worthy representative organisation.

I note with interest that the CA membership/supporter base is already over 100 000. I.e. the CA are definitely a credible voice on the behalf of shooters. Certainly BASC have only 50% more members [currently!!], so after approx two decades of putting my subs and support behind BASC, I am delighted to have moved to the only voice of shooting that presently speaks for me: the CA.

I note with interest that the CA membership/supporter base is already over 100 000.

So it's still drifting downwards? I remember when it was said to be 140,000. The accounts show subscription income decline slightly in 2014, 2015 and 2016 (latest available). No doubt your subscription is welcomed, and we look forward to a series of enthusiastic posts about your new org! Nothing wrong with having a diversity of orgs - as long as they all co-operate on the big issues.

Why were asked "To sign for my statements". Can you expand on that comment please?. Iam interested to know why the Police asked you to sign. Are you able to say if the "Statement" was a formal statement, in other words used in compliance with sec 9 of the Criminal Justice Act (sec 9) Magistrates Court Act (1980 sec 5B). were you informed that "the statement was a formal one, or under caution, or you were warned that a false statement may lead to you being prosecuted?. The reason I ask is, if this is correct, why do the Police wish to formalise an ordinary enquiry carried out for the application for, or the renewal of certificates, or are they hoping someone will forget to provide information about themselves which may end up in refusal/revocation???

Patrick

Didn't seem sinister, definitely not under caution and no mention of formal. Just seemed like an extension/addendum to form 201.

There are only so many members in the country (unless it becomes another requirement by law) so cooperation is going to get difficult. BASC have already rounded on the CA, saying something petulant like "we did something first".
I despair of these organisations and have realised members are simply fodder to maintain the status quo. I have always used this forum or learning directly to answer my firearms queries, having been once rebuffed by BASC. This forums self-help philosophy is very worthwhile, although I have seen a rise lately in what I would call 'sneering' posts which is disappointing.

Didn't seem sinister, definitely not under caution and no mention of formal. Just seemed like an extension/addendum to form 201.

That is not a normal part of the renewal process for either SGC or FAC. I would have had to question the validity of such a request and what would be the use of the statement going forward.

The Ali saga, for me, was the last chance. The final decider after that was when I applied for a BASC Regional Officer post and was not even given an interview.

As I've written before no person should be considered for any BASC position unless they were a member before any job vacancy was announced.

This would have ensured that those wanting to take the members' money (as their wage if they got the job) at least were part of BASC and saw it as a worthwhile organisation worthy of the job applicant being a member of. It would stop any carpetbaggers!

If as a feathered quarry shooter you didn't support BASC before the position was advertised even before applying to work there IMHO you shouldn't have a job application form sent out to you.

Slightly different subject but I saw this happen with a big well funded conservation project - manager parachuted in from "conservation management " field into an area where they had no previous known interest there were already masses of volunteers amd others with excellent knowledge of the species concerned and control methods.. 5 years later and millions of pounds of grants blown and project fails as no no notice was taken of the people who had actually been working in the field. Manager goes off to another well paid post.

Last edited:
Slightly different subject but I saw this happen with a big well funded conservation project - manager parachuted in from "conservation management " field into an area where they had no previous known interest there were already masses of volunteers amd others with excellent knowledge of the species concerned and control methods.. 5 years later and millions of pounds of grants blown and project fails as no no notice was taken of the people who had actually been working in the field. Manager goes off to another well paid post.

Thats usually case with high profile managers, hence why the NHS is in such a mess.

Ian.

Don't be silly, all those managers have bits of paper to say they know everything, they're certified experts. It's you lot on the ground that cause failure :doh:

Bit like the DSC certs really :lol:

Don't be silly, all those managers have bits of paper to say they know everything, they're certified experts. It's you lot on the ground that cause failure :doh:

Bit like the DSC certs really :lol:

Just another income stream and a job for Swift (BDS)

Back