Thread: Wattch online today 14/9/10:Firearms Control Inquiry

Wattch online today 14/9/10:Firearms Control Inquiry

Home Affairs Committee hold their first evidence session of their Firearms Control Inquiry;
    http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Pl...meetingId=6607

Witnesses:
    At approximately 12 noon
    Geoff Doe, National Rifle Association and National Small-Bore Rifle Association
    Bill Harriman, British Association of Shooting and Conservation
    David Penn, British Shooting Sports Council

Regards

Marcel

Marcel, thanks for the link, very kind of you indeed

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

You're welcome. Would be interesting to hear the forum's response.

Very interesting! Thanks.
    I wonder how it will progress.

Account Suspended
    I didn't have time to sit through the 1 hour 46 minutes, did anyone here?

If yes... was there anything notable to report?

Tamus, the Firearms evidence starts from about 56 mins in. Found the evidence given was very good, straight to the point and very conscise. Was nice to see all the organisations were acting in unison. Terrible room and acoustics though, nad Mr Vaz was his very charming normal smarmy self!!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by LW_Norfolk View Post
    Tamus, the Firearms evidence starts from about 56 mins in. Found the evidence given was very good, straight to the point and very conscise. Was nice to see all the organisations were acting in unison. Terrible room and acoustics though, nad Mr Vaz was his very charming normal smarmy self!!
    Hi LW, just ffwd'd and got through the pre-amble. Sound quality terrible. Basic intro on what guns are, what types there are, who has them and what they are used for and, broadly, what is allowed under existing law (within 34 relevant acts and ammendments, if I heard correctly). 1.8million guns on certs?? and 7 million airguns?? (possibly so) Conversation took the direction of; seeking more efficient and coherent process, maybe looking at new "over arching" and consolidating act, and my favourite... the problem of "strict liabilty" perhaps being addressed. Then came MP Mr. McCabe, asking how a punter might be processed if he wanted a gun... I'll now go back and hear the rest.

Account Suspended
    Ok, I have work in the morning...
    Got through the process we all know and love. Worries raised that quality of service might decline with Police budgetary cuts... and I got the impression that the BSSC man was getting well received. BASC was good but, for my money, could have chosen his words a little better, (he thought youths with certs treated it as a great badge of honour and privilege, older applicant perhaps more "blasι")... the rest tomorrow I think.

Not sure what to think of it yet, may look at it again. The following link provides you with a recorded version http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Pl...meetingId=6607 The FireArms Control Inquiry starts at 1:09:00. Questions and comments concentrated on 3 topics mainly:
    1) The complex Fire Arms Laws - All 3 witnesses seem to agree that a complete overhaul is recommendable.
    2) Airguns and the fact that they are not regulated.
    3) Age concerns ie minimum age to hold the various different fire arms.

At the end of the inquiry the Home Office Committee noted that the organisations that were represented yesterday would be honoured with a visit to complement the inquiry in the near future.