Thread: competition seating dies

competition seating dies

Has anyone noticed improved accuracy when using a comp. seating die over a standard seating die.

steve

It is hard to say. I have them in both 222rem and 22/250, RCBS micrometer type. My 222 was pretty accurate anyway, my buddy got a big improvement when loading for his Ruger using these dies. In his case, his rifle was inconsistent, one minute .5", the next 1.25", the better dies seemed to sort this out.

I have only used the comp dies on my 22/250, it has been very accurate so far. Load development was positively boring, took nearly 40 minutes total.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Yes,

but only if brass prep is carried out - by that I mean you remove all the other variables:

Cases trimmed to same length

All cases fireformed

All cases neck turned (if applicable)

Powder charge exactly same every time

Brass weighed into "lots"

I doubt you will see much varience at stalking distances.

Ive experimented using different loadings in my F Class rifle at long range- read 800 plus yards.

Loaded cases that had 2-3 (or more) thou run out shot worse than ones with >1-2 thou run out.

By worse the groups were larger.

I dont think it really matters in a stalking gun IMHO

I use the same case prep powder weighing and general loading techniques (Lapua Brass, Vit powder etc) for both of my rifles one in .308 and the other in .243AI. The only difference is the .243AI gets Reading precision micrometer dies. Strangely enough the .308 velocities are significantly more consistent!! Both shoot sub inch so not going to loose too much sleep but I can’t fathom it!!

Musty

As other have said brass prep and constant powder weights a must, my Sako was accruare but got silly accruate when i reduced neck tennsion and sized only 1/3 of the neck with comp dies . the black art of reloading can be the most and rewarding and frustrating hobbie ever.....neil

Quote Originally Posted by griffshrek View Post
    Musty

As other have said brass prep and constant powder weights a must, my Sako was accruare but got silly accruate when i reduced neck tennsion and sized only 1/3 of the neck with comp dies . the black art of reloading can be the most and rewarding and frustrating hobbie ever.....neil

And most expensive

Redmist
    yes yes yes yes

I think my redding comp dies produce more accurate ammunition and I think they are worth the extra.......but I am anally retentive. If you just want 2 in groups at 100 then stick with normal dies but if you are after bugholes then buy the best you can

S