Thread: Ammo choice for tikka t3 scottish roe /fox

Ammo choice for tikka t3 scottish roe /fox

I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A TIKKA T3 HUNTER, 223, T8 MOD, AND WOULD APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE ON WHICH AMMO MAY BE BEST SUITED TO THIS RIFLE, FOR ROE AND FOX. HOPING TO ZERO IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS, AND WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED TO HEAR THE VIEWS OF THOSE WITH 223 T3s. THANKS FOLKS.

I used to use 55gr sako soft points, the ones with the little Roe head on the box.
    They worked great on fox, not too explosive with good reliable penetration.
    Very accurate out of my 1in12 twist CZ, not quite as accurate but still just under an inch
    out of my T3 with 1 in 8 twist.
    Bullet designed to work well on Roe.
    edi

My advice would be, don't worry about the foxing, just get a good round for the roe! It will stop foxes just as easily. I have tried 140 gn rounds in RWS hp's and Federal Powershok in my 6.5 and both nearly turn foxes inside out. The 129gn SST's I am using now are equally as efficient.

A friend uses Nosler Partition 60gn through his .223 now, the foxes are just as dead as when he was using Nosler BT's.

ft
    Last edited by flytie; 15-09-2010 at 09:17. Reason: Punctuation
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Hi, I have the T3 Hunter in .243, i've found that Norma/Federal/RWS soft points are exellent, they don't do too much damage to the deer and are devestating on foxes, When i first got the gun i tried to get different rounds sorted for foxes/vermin/deer but now i use the same rounds on everything (100g SP), it saves on the zeroing and once you find a round you have confidence in you'll probably find it really helps with your confidence when shooting from positions you may not like, off sticks, kneeling or what ever position you may find less comfortable.
    People i know will only shoot of bipods or from a solid rest and would rather not take a shot that you or i might off of sticks, there is nothing wrong with this, not everyone can shoot from all positions and i find its best to shoot however you feel most confortable.

Tikkat3