Bleeding a deer

griffshrek

Hello all

i have read a few threads saying how the the shot deer was "bleed out" is this saying one of the main arturies was cut prior to the gralloch to expell the blood? or just expelling the blood from the shot deer via the gralloch.

I normally H/L shoot deer and by the time i get to the shot deer (5-10mins) and start the gralloch the chest cavity is full of blood is there a need to still "bleed out"?

i can see the need to bleed if the animal was still alive or head shot and you were there straight away as the heart would pump out the blood for you, but if the animal had been dead 5 mins plus the heart has stopped and cutting arturies would make no diffrence

i look forward to the replies as this question has bugged me for some time , just on a lighter note the wife is working late tonight no school for me tomorrow the kids are all tucked up in bed i am nursing a good Rioja with beer chaser after a good venison dinner

regards.....neil :lol:

I normally H/L shoot deer and by the time i get to the shot deer (5-10mins) and start the gralloch the chest cavity is full of blood

There is the requirement to bleed the carcass. The blood is first to go off and needs to be bled out quickly. Th term doesn't relate to the animal bleading to death internally but removing the blood from the beast. Hope that helps.

As a habitual chest-shooter, I find that 'bleeding out' is best accomplished by cutting the diaphragm after the gralloch and letting out the blood in there through the laparotomy.

Under these circumstances, a hole through the front of the chest in the trad manner would really not help at all, and just allow more crud in during the drag.

Treckle Tracker still a bit confussed buy you reply
"The term doesn't relate to the animal bleading to death internally but removing the blood from the beast" are you saying remove the blood that has pooled in the chest cavity is the bleeding or cutting an arturie ?

i normally carry out what Dalua has described ....neil

With a heart or lung shot the blood remains on the Heart side of the diaphram after removing the gralloch(Rumen and securing the anal tract and tying off the bladder),the next stage would be to circumnavigate the diaphram with your knife and remove the pluck consisting of the heart and lungs along with the tied of and secured gullet, during this process the blood contained within the cavity will be drained,
It is also advisable to activate the rear legs as in a walking motion which will help eliminate excessive blood remaining in the carcass and capillary blood vessels.
Try to place the carcass so the chest cavity is in a downward position for a period which also assists drainage
Hope this Helps
Stu

Last edited:
It is also advisable to activate the rear legs as in a walking motion which will help eliminate excessive blood remaining in the carcass and capillary blood vessels.

I have read a description of this in a textbook, but I have my doubts as to whether any more blood is actually expelled by doing this, bearing in mind that the blood in the chest is usually already considerably clotted. I've never done it myself.

I cannot believe the OP and the replies so far no wonder people are given mentoring conditions

These posts must be a spoof but it not April the 1st is it?

Once the deer has been confirmed dead the deer NEEDS to be bled the best way to do this is by cutting the carteriods on both sides and then inserting the knife though the v created by the clavicals keep the knife parallel to the spine and cut the arteries above the heart. Apply pressure with you knee to the stomach this will in turn force the diaphram forward and assist with bleeding the animal.

Doing it this with the animal suspended is easier put there are not always convenient trees.

Following this method will save you from having a carcass that looks like it has been gralloched with either a blunt spoon or a chainsaw, bleeding though the diaphram is not something I would do as it bloodstains all the best cuts.

I think if not left too long pumping the stomach in a forward motion to the diaphram with a knee can dislodge some clots and give a good bleed..

Just been beaten to it..lol

Last edited:
Good explanation Sweep 6.5x55 I,m glad you were taught the same as me. But then again, over the years I,ve seen many a beast bled/gralloched in all sorts of ways, some not so hygienic. I suppose we,re all only as good as your teacher

I cannot believe the OP and the replies so far no wonder people are given mentoring conditions
Fortunately, it is not part of the remit of the Firearms Licensing Offices to base the grant, refusal or conditions of a FAC on the applicant's beliefs concerning the minutiae of the handling of deer carcasses.

Once the deer has been confirmed dead the deer NEEDS to be bled
When I have killed a deer by shooting it through the chest, it is usually dead because it has been bled out into its chest, more or less. The blood obviously should be allowed out, and to make another hole or two in addition to the gralloching cut is simply, in my view, to risk more carcass contamination.

Following this method will save you from having a carcass that looks like it has been gralloched with either a blunt spoon or a chainsaw, bleeding though the diaphram is not something I would do as it bloodstains all the best cuts.
I must say that I think my grallochs are quite elegant, and I have never noticed any inconvenience from 'bloodstained' meat resulting from transdiaphragmatic exsanguination.

Different folk, different strokes, I guess!

As a habitual chest-shooter, I find that 'bleeding out' is best accomplished by cutting the diaphragm after the gralloch and letting out the blood in there through the laparotomy.

Under these circumstances, a hole through the front of the chest in the trad manner would really not help at all, and just allow more crud in during the drag.

Also to add to this, by back bleeding means you don't hav to ruin the front end just incase you were thinking about having a full neck or shoulder mount
which is always an after thought once bleeding has taken place

1 I am already on the 2nd bottle of red so sorry if offense caused.

2 the OP is not exactly a newby asking how to bleed a deer

3 It should be the first thing taught to do once the deer is confirmed dead

Great link Andi

Last edited:
Sometimes I dismay at threads/posts on here and this is rapidly turning into one of them!:eek:
All deer must be bled out regardless of size or shot placement as any good trainer or 'best practise' guidelines will tell you.
The best method is as sweep described. Run your fingers down the windpipe until you feel the notch at the top of the sternum. Insert knife and cut sideways in both directions - the blade will not travel far, but should cut both carotid arteries. If the blade is long enough it will also take the aorta off the top of the heart. The remaining hole is little more than the width of the knife blade and will still be covered by animals hair. The chances of contamination are minimal compared to the problems of an unbled carcass!
It should be done ASAP before the blood has time to congeal. If done quick enough,(especially with a head or neck shot), the heart may even still be beating and the blood will pulsate out at an alarming rate!
Blood is not exactly a contaminant in itself, but should be viewed as the next best thing as it can quickly spoil a carcass. A suspended gralloch should prevent any blood from a well shot animal from ruining the main cuts of the animal, ie saddle and haunches. Excess blood should be removed using the 'one wipe method'.
MS:-|

I would have thought a bloke asking an honest question would have needed help and guidance and not derision. Could be wrong though.

Second that Howa.
I personally find, as the original question states, there is not much point bleeding (by inserting a suitable length blade between the clavicals parrallel to the spine) say, a chest shot roe with a .270.You will not expel any extra tissue retained blood by doing so.You may as well just let the blood behind the diaphragm out when you remove the pluck.You will get a small amount of blood letting if you cut the carrotids behind the point of the jaw but this will only be blood from the head and neck area.
If,as tonight, I lung shoot a stag witha .243 and get to the animal fairly quickly, a good amount of blood can be expelled using ones knee as previously stated.
If you can elevate the rear end or even ( in the case of smaller species) suspend it from a tree the carcass is much the better for it.
I have examined numerous deer in the larder where this has, and has not been carried out and there is a definate difference in the hue of the exposed flesh. The well bled deer exhibiting a much paler pinky red colour than those with retained blood in the tissues, which, as all those who have butchered a fair number of their own carcasses will know, spoils the quality of the venison.
Regards.
S.

Cheers gents for the replies even the sort of arsey ones .

i should have given more infomation to help the question , i noramlly H/L shoot deer which leaves the H/L in tatters and shot to bits
I fully open up the chest and yes tie off all the bits as said i get to the deer 5-10 mins after going down say 5-8mins to sort myself out for gralloch so its between 10min-18mins before i take knife to the deer

what good does " cutting the carteriods on both sides and then inserting the knife though the v created by the clavicals keep the knife parallel to the spine and cut the arteries above the heart" if the animal has been dead 10-18mins with its heart and lungs shot to S**t ?

with my limited knowledge I cant see any benifit to further cutting the animal as there is copious amounts of blood within the chest cavity or am i wrong ?? ....neil
PS there is no offence to any of the replies.

Back