Is anyone aware of current difficulties taking moderators to South Africa?

MikeZZZ

I've just heard from a fellow hunter going to South Africa in May that he has been told that hunters currently arriving at J-berg airport with a moderator on their rifle are experiencing difficulties getting approval to take them through customs (April 2018). I've seen and heard nothing on this subject at the moment but am due to fly out to J-berg in mid May.

Does anyone out there know anything about this situation?

Thanks

I would be interested in any updates on this please guys as I fly in to Johannesburg next Friday. Went out last year to SA and flew in to Johannesburg with rifle broken down and Moderater in Peli case with it had no hassle. Am hoping nothing has changed, option to put it in hand luggage but that could create other problems as would putting it in to checked in luggage. Look forward to any updates

I don't know if they have changed any rules, but if they have been changed, putting it in a different bit of luggage will still mean you have broken the rules.

David.

I would be interested in any updates on this please guys as I fly in to Johannesburg next Friday. Went out last year to SA and flew in to Johannesburg with rifle broken down and Moderater in Peli case with it had no hassle. Am hoping nothing has changed, option to put it in hand luggage but that could create other problems as would putting it in to checked in luggage. Look forward to any updates

No issues in March when I went there, all broke down and packed in a Peli case, they were only interested that serial number of barrel matched the paperwork.

Thanks for your input to the subject Adrian given yours is the most recent it’s probably the most relevant. I went through Johannesburg last August with Sauer 404 broken down in a Peli case that included the Mod as did my fellow shooter, there were no issues. Mods are legal in SA and there is no reference to them on the SA 520 application form for temporary importation of a firearm. I will also update on my return

Tazz

Hi mate
Google hunters permits africa
They deal with appying for your permits for you at a really good price and meet you at the airport police station in joburg and make the process so easy
She has done mine for years and never a problem last year i took two rifles and a handgun no problem breezed through
hope this helps

Sitting in lounge of Johannesburg airport awaiting flight to Port Elizabeth did fill in 520 ahead of going no issues with moderator just checked serial number of rifle against paperwork all done inside 30 mine did not use meet and greet wanted to try DIY

Thanks for all the useful replies guys. I contacted the Police in SA for a reply and received the following:

According to the Firearms Control Act 60 of 2000 Chapter 10 (Control of ammunition and firearm parts) (94.1(1) to (4) (a) to (c) no person are allowed to possess "firearm part".
Regards
Capt Reeves
FLASH: Arms Control
Tel: 012 353 6395

Not very enlightening.

My Outfitter just called to let me know that he had a party of hunters arrive this week at Jo-Berg. Those with the mod in their luggage had no problems - see no evil - those with the mod in their rifle case/on their rifles were held up by the Police at the airport and were only allowed to travel on with their mod once the Outfitter had written to the Police with an affix david confirming they would be supervised at all times and would do nothing illegal!

Putting a mod in your cabin baggage is a no-no as I did so accidentally last year and when I arrived at Heathrow it was picked up in security (hassle and delay). Not sure what would happen if it was in your hold luggage. As I am not taking hold luggage I will be putting the mod in my ammo case as this is rarely if ever opened or searched at Jo-berg.

Hope you've all enjoyed a great hunt guys - I'm out on 18/5!

Last edited:
Back