foxes with barnes grenades

MARKG

Has anyone used the barnes grenades on foxes?
I purchased a box (.223 in 50gr) to try,just wondered if they will penetrate and kill clean or if they explode on contact?

Ive not tried them as I was told you really have to get them moving to make em work. I have a .223 too and went for Blitz kings which are superb in it. Can you let us know how you get on with them as I will give em a whirl sometime if you get good results.

Cheers

Pete

If they're as good as 55gn Blitzkings they're worth having. Like Chickenman asked, let us know how you get on!

Ive not tried them as I was told you really have to get them moving to make em work. I have a .223 too and went for Blitz kings which are superb in it. Can you let us know how you get on with them as I will give em a whirl sometime if you get good results.

Cheers

Pete

Loving the Blizkings in the 22.250 and they look pretty cool too.

I've really struggled to build an accurate load using Barnes Varmint Grenades, even stoking them over hot loads of Reloder10X and VV N120 in my .223. They are incredibly fussy with seating depth and neck tension, much much worse than my usual Hornady, Sierra or Speer bullets.

I know a number of people who have also had problems with them - in fact I only know one person that succeeded, and that was with the lighter .224 VG bullet (39gn?) in a .222 with a 1:14 twist. As an alternative, the cheap Dogtown hollowpoint bullets from Midway are very good if you want a messy, frangible .22 varminting load.

Suggest 60grn V max with 26grn Varget in .223, 10 tho of lands, lapua cases, neck sized.

Deadly on all forms of quarry from crows upwards. In fact absolutely awesome on crows. Never had any problem with an premature break up on larger furred quarry. Deadly accurate and realitivly cheap!!

Don't use anything else cause it does what it says on the tin.

D

First load tests produced a group 0.5" @100y accurate enough! (This is using 23.5g vectan T3000 powder,fed primer's and brass).

The bullets are long so have to seat them quite far in.
My remington 700 has 1 in 9" twist so I think with the long bearing surface of the bullet is why its ok.

Now need to see if foxes likes them

Last edited:
barnes

Anyone tried these through 22.250?

The guy from Rugby Gun said he had tried the 50g in his 22-250 with NO success!

On box for the 50g barnes it state's 1 in 9" or faster.They do have a very long bearing surface!
Maybe the lighter weight barnes would work.Check the twist rate of your rifle barrel.

The guy from Rugby Gun said he had tried the 50g in his 22-250 with NO success!

On box for the 50g barnes it state's 1 in 9" or faster.They do have a very long bearing surface!
Maybe the lighter weight barnes would work.Check the twist rate of your rifle barrel.

Mines 1:14 twist. A mate has bought a pack for his 223 so may give it a try with 35grains of benchmark behind it...See if that gets it moving!!

Mines 1:14 twist. A mate has bought a pack for his 223 so may give it a try with 35grains of benchmark behind it...See if that gets it moving!!

If you have the 50grain bullets ,I dont think you will get them to work in the 1 in 14,Try lighter ones they make!

Made a test @ 185y last night approx 1" group,so more than ok accuracy wise (not quite as good as the 50g Vmax i have used) will see what effect they make in the field.

hi mark
i use barns vg's do's wot it says on the tin, drive them as hard as you can if you like fox jelly. thay do penetrate then do the job, some never come out as in no exit. rabits explode so do crows so take your giggle meter with you when useing them . i also use 36 gr vg's for more deverstation on red feller !!
have as much fun as you can .
paul o'

Last edited:
there a great head through a 222 with only 18grn of Vihtavuori N110 throws them out at 3600 they explode brill on rabbits. only shot one fox with them didnt go to well knocked it over but didnt put it staright out but made a mess. they take alot of work to find the seating and amount of powder to get them to work.

I tried 50 gr barnes grenades through my 22/250 and wondered where the bullets went!!! not even on the paper! They're not joking when they say 1 in 9 or faster!
My sako is 1 in 14 so I'll try with the smaller bullets when I get a chance. I use 50 gr vmax at the moment & they do the biz but would like to get a good load for the varmint grenades.

Back