First reloading batch win 308 - results and brass

paulbshooting

Evening all

Thanks again for the previous advice, being new to reloading it was much appreciated.
I have been through the whole process and loaded my first test batch in 308 with N140 powder, fed 210 primers, 150 grain nosler BT in once fired federal brass, all to 2.800” OAL as per nosler book

Results as attached at 100m

My rifle was left unaltered from shooting factory 150 grains and was spot on, just gave it a good clean and fouled it before shooting these groups, leaving the barrel to cool between each load group.

Since loaded some more 42.5, 43 and 43.5 but in once fired sako and everything else the same. This time the 42.5 was the only decent group so this seems to be my load. Surprised by the difference between the case manufacturers (unless it was me) so just ordered some new Lapua cases so everything consistent and so I gain confidence.

My rounds are only for hunting, so just after consistency and sufficient accuracy.
Any comments welcome, thank you.

Attachments

• BF378D49-BCDD-4FCB-951E-1800B931EDF0.jpeg
    BF378D49-BCDD-4FCB-951E-1800B931EDF0.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 201
I reckon the 44.5 is the one to run with as well. It certainly doesnt look any less accurate than the 42.5 with the added bonus that will be flatter shooting and harder hitting.

Just come right a couple of clicks and you're good to go!

I'd look at doing some testing in 0.1gr increments between your best groups. 0.1gr can make the difference between a good load and a great load.

Thanks everyone, very helpful. I will load up around 44.5 and do some testing.
With the new Lapua brass I assume I load straight from box after quick visual check then process as normal once fired?

I tend to size, flash hole deburr, uniform the primer pockets and inside chamfer before use but many will just visually inspect and load.

From a purely OCW POV, try loading some more at 43.2 or 43.3. The average of your group centres with your first 3 groups likely has a pressure insensitive area as group centres are similar. Two shots touching and one flier in each case could be shooting technique as much as anything else....did you move cheek position or alter anything else between shots? Are you gripping the rifle with your trigger finger? If so, try again, keeping exactly the same shooting position but only put very light pressure in trigger finger hand to rifle grip...I rarely grip the rifle with more than the lightest of touches so that it is the trigger finger making most contact (left hand goes under rear of stock to support it).

Your higher loads seem a little more scattered but you might have another node there based on group centres, even if a little more scattered. I'd try between 44.2 and 44.6 loading in 0.2gr jumps.

Starting with consistent brass, all uniformed to be the same is a must when load developing. You won't be able to draw firm conclusions unless your brass is all the same but it's a good start. I wouldn't draw the conclusion as you have that the 42.5 was the best load at all, just because two are close to the "bulls-eye". 3 shots tell you little other than they form a (statistically irrelevant) group, but consistently shooting 3 shot groups with similar group centres from adjacent loads points towards being on a node. That is what you look for to begin with. Find the centre of that node (and here 0.5gr is too crude a jump for that) and you will have some lee way for temperature differences between outings and still shoot with similar results. Once you find that node, shoot a few 10 shot groups. That tells you more about whether it's a true moa load. Zero to the centre of that group and you're away.

Last edited:
To finish off.....I did some more testing based on the great advice. Ended up at 44.6gn and 25 thou off the lands (OAL to suit the magazine). Very satisfying and looking forward to taking the first deer on reloads.

Back