Feral sheep ??

Sako 3006

My question is ,has anyone shot feral sheep in this country??,if so what are the legal requirements to do so ,ie what calibre? is there a season ?do they need game tags,or indeed do they go to the game dealer,
I appreciate you first need them on your ticket, but unsure what happens next,any help or info will be apprecated,thanks in advance.

177Landy is this a genuine question or are you just trying to pull the wool over our eyes.
Seriously though wouldnt they be a bit tuff to eat.
ATB
RICK O SHEA

No this is a genuine question I may have an oppurtunity to clear some feral (wild) sheep from some private woodland,but to be honest I have never done anything of this ilke before so I thought I would ask the experts for some info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't shot them myself but know those who have apparently there a thick as pig **** and if there are 2 and you shoot the first the other one just looks at the dead one and apparently the meat is too tough to sell and no one wants to buy them anyway.

G

No this is a genuine question I may have an oppurtunity to clear some feral (wild) sheep from some private woodland,but to be honest I have never done anything of this ilke before so I thought I would ask the experts for some info.

Speak to your local DEFRA office for advice. You'll probably find they belong to someone and I think you'd be well advised NOT to start killing them.

I think it would be wise to ask all the adjoining landowners/farmers if they might be there sheep or if they want them. If they don't might be eassier to drive/herd the majority out off the wood. U might even be able to take them to market, sheep trade was really good for a while even old/cast ewes were making good money, dunno wot it's like at the minute thou. Althou not sure wot happens with tags/unregistered sheep.
I know a (smallish)farmer who after being culled out with f&m restarted his flock using the feral sheep from the local forestry. I think it took him days to round them all up thou.

As has been said muttons not everybodies thing, meat could be as tough as old boots, best cooked very slow. They do say mutton is coming back into fashion and is in demand on the continent, ther welcome to it.

Anytime i've killed sheep it has been very close, usually amercy killing with the 22, althou when i was in oz it tended to be wethers(last years male lambs) using a knife and that was next nites tea

Must be DE jA thingimyjig, Had a very similar request a couple of years ago, land belonged to the Woodland trust, they had contacted the adjoining farms and gave notice that if they weren't removed within a month they would get rid of them. No one ever claimed them, but never did shoot them, it all seemed to die a death.

If the sheep aren't tagged they can't go for meat anyway. Could be somone had some free grazing but could not afford to keep up with the new tagging regs that came into force this year, so left them there. Seen it before, especially if they were old brokers.

Ade

Speak to your local DEFRA office for advice. You'll probably find they belong to someone and I think you'd be well advised NOT to start killing them.

I would agree they would be classed as live stock ,there are alot of sheep on one of my forests no dont damaging restock areas, I cant do anything about it,only once in six years have I seen a farmer trying to round them up not easy in forestry.

Get sheep on your ticket, all I did was ask for it and got it, do your best to find owners of said sheep (ad in paper visit all local landowners, see if they been marked, ear tags,notches or old fashion Raddle marks even etc etc) ask the landowner for WRITTEN request to shoot them, then put ad in paper saying if they not removed by owner,if any, they will be removed.
But will add, be very careful, as they be owned by someone from away, they may in the area on grass keep and got out so they actual owner may not even know they are a problem.
Anyway if you leave it a while they will die, all sheep do is eat, **** and die, it`s in they genes I think:lol::lol:

Back