Abnormal munty Vets opinions sought please!

deerstalker.308

A friend of mine sent me these pics asking for advice, I’ve not seen anything like this before, the deer was otherwise in good health with no inflamed lymph nodes etc. The white lumps are chalky, almost calcified lumps, all appear to be on the surface, the kidney which was removed showed no internal damage, everything seems to be on the surface. Any thoughts?

View attachment 96039

A friend of mine sent me these pics asking for advice, I’ve not seen anything like this before, the deer was otherwise in good health with no inflamed lymph nodes etc. The white lumps are chalky, almost calcified lumps, all appear to be on the surface, the kidney which was removed showed no internal damage, everything seems to be on the surface. Any thoughts?

View attachment 96039
Fat necrosis ?

That's an odd one. potshotpat may be on the right lines:Overview of Abdominal Fat Necrosis - Digestive System - Veterinary Manual
How old do you think it was and what was its overall body condition? Calcification can be the result of long-term inflammation, although there are some conditions that cause it directly. I'm wondering about tapeworm cystic stages. The right hand side (looking at it) - half way up the kidney is there a lump of red that isn't kidney? It would be interesting to get a section of this.

Thanks for the input, sadly I think he’s disposed of the whole carcass, so it’s visual ID only, I’m glad it’s not apparently obvious, I have never seen anything like it, but this was apparently the second deer taken in the past year or two from this bit of woodland with the same condition.
The buck was as far as I’m aware, middle aged and in good condition; coat a bit thin but that’s time of year, as said above all lymph nodes were unremarkable......

My thoughts were a resolved steatitis involving the retroperitoneal fat, parasitic cysts of some description or mineralisation as a consequence of adrenal gland pathology. It is hard to tell from the photo but is there a swelling adjacent to the pole of the kidney. Different species but in dogs approximately 50% of adrenal tumours are visibly mineralised so more visible on X-ray or CT. sadly histopathology would be necessary to be definitive

My thoughts were a resolved steatitis involving the retroperitoneal fat, parasitic cysts of some description or mineralisation as a consequence of adrenal gland pathology. It is hard to tell from the photo but is there a swelling adjacent to the pole of the kidney. Different species but in dogs approximately 50% of adrenal tumours are visibly mineralised so more visible on X-ray or CT. sadly histopathology would be necessary to be definitive

Yeah, and it's minging too!

I've often found chalk like deposits adhering to what I've always assumed to be small benign tumours in sheep. Never stopped me eating the rest of the carcass though!

Back