Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any one seeng winter coats yet

Any one seeng winter coats yet

I was out on tues this week and saw a few deer .I got my eye on a good doe with twins and she was well in to her winter coat. Also saw a nice buck but he was as red as.

Take it now good shot reload safty on breath
    Last edited by 6pointer; 17-09-2010 at 08:22. Reason: words

I was also out Tuesday morning looking for red stags between the showers in Sutherland. As I walked back to the car, I went and had a close look at 2 does, mother in red summer coat, youngster in winter coat. Rgds JCS

Shot a young Roe buck a couple of hours ago who was about 80-90% winter with just a few ginger patches left.
    He would have been a last years kid. The older ones will have a little while yet before they change.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    I was also out Tuesday morning looking for red stags between the showers in Sutherland. As I walked back to the car, I went and had a close look at 2 does, mother in red summer coat, youngster in winter coat. Rgds JCS
    Ditto. I spotted Roe Doe in Summer coat and her 2 kids in winter coat. I had to look twice!! Devon.

Also the Stags have started to roar!

Regards
    ArthursC

Yep! Winter coat coming through on a fair few of the animals. Furthest on would be one of the Romanian stags who has been roaring since third week of August and rutting hard for the last 2 weeks. Started feeding silage 3 days ago and they are really going for it which lends weight to my suspicion that the quality of the grass had dropped off a lot; there's plenty of it but they are looking for better grub. The acorns are getting hoovered up almost before they hit the ground.
    Too early to start strip grazing the stubble turnips yet though.

On Sunday I was within 55yds of a doe with 2 doe fawns. The Doe was red and the fawns were grey. Last night I shot a roe buck which was red but was clealy starting to moult.

D

Shot a buck last week in winter coat.
    Seen many followers in winter coat a doe half and half and 2 with gorget patches.
    Saw a buck this morning also in winter coat.

I saw 5 mule deer yesrerday here in canada, 3 does 1 spike buck and a fawn, the fawn was the only one still in summer coat.

Shot a buck here monday morning he was half the way gone,doe with him looked like she was just starting to go,nights are gradually getting colder don't blame em.
    Neil.

Shot a Buck three weeks ago near Moffat that was going back had the start of his winter coat.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY